Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
Gladys is a legend who as of this date is secure both financially and personally as she approaches her 75th birthday. I honestly don't think "kick starting" her career with the largely millennial crowd that may take issue with her message of what she views as "patriotism" is of prime importance to her... She is of the age and station in life where she can do pretty well what she pleases when she pleases...I look forward with her anthem rendition and hope it rises to the level of those great Anthem performances [[Whitney, Marvin, et al) before her...I still recall being present at Tiger Stadium in 68 at the World Series when Jose Feliciano gave the first public [[to my recollection) "non-traditional" version of the anthem...and was booed roundly for it... I expect Gladys will do a more traditional rendition, with perhaps one or two melismatic variances...
You were at the Tigers game when Jose Feliciano did that? Wow! I remember watching it sitting on the floor in our new house. We just moved at the start of the World Series that year.