[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Those two songs really surprised me with just how emotional they make me. "Baby Baby Don't Cry" really sounds like there is something much deeper going on in the lyrics. Don't know why, but I always think of the racial tensions and general turmoil that was going on at that time; I had the feeling some of that was coming out in the music in some way. The part in that song that triggers the flood gates of tears is when it changes key after Smokey sings "and only losers weep." That key change gives the song a powerful emotion, and there I am. Weeping.

"Forget Me Not" does it to me because after reading about how Sylvia Moy and Martha both had brothers in Vietnam, the song just sounds so personal and that makes it all the more sad to think about the men who didn't make it out.
    Speaking of Vietnam and Martha and her brother, that was also the inspiration behind I Should Be Proud, another tearjerker.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Speaking of Vietnam and Martha and her brother, that was also the inspiration behind I Should Be Proud, another tearjerker.
    Mary Wilson's brother Roosevelt was in Vietnam at that time too.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    O.K. I didn't know that. And you're right, I Should Be Proud is a real tearjerker. When Martha does that spoken part, I can't help but tear up because SHE sounds as if she was very close to crying at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    O.K. I didn't know that. And you're right, I Should Be Proud is a real tearjerker. When Martha does that spoken part, I can't help but tear up because SHE sounds as if she was very close to crying at any moment.
    Sadly, her brother died either during the war or from PTSD related complications upon returning[[ i’ve heard different stories). So Martha might of very well been singing through tears.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Sadly, her brother died either during the war or from PTSD related complications upon returning[[ i’ve heard different stories). So Martha might of very well been singing through tears.
    Wow. Now that just gives that song even more poignancy.