[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Raises $780,000 for Canadian Music for Youth Program in Ottawa, Canada

Please excuse me if this has been shared before. The National Arts Centre, in Ottawa, Canada, built in 1967 for the Canadian Centennial, recently was refurbished, and as part of the gala re-opending, a fund raiser was held to raise funds for Youth Musical Programs in schools across Canada. On October 03, 2018, Diana Ross performed with the National Arts Orchestra, and raised a whopping $780,000 for the National Youth and Orchestra Fund!

Sadly, I missed out on this spectacular evening, arriving in Canada's national capitol, ten days later. The tickets ranging in price from $229 to $399 sold out quickly for this black tie event. Diana Ross was introduced by Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, wife of Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau.

Diana Ross was feted by Ottawa high society, and the event was a musical milestone for the National Arts Centre.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 11-09-2018 at 07:15 PM.

I would like to see her do something, anything for the children in her hometown of Detroit before she dies.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-09-2018 at 11:38 PM.

While charity no doubt should come first at home, it is possible that Diana Ross might have not wanted to compete with Aretha Franklin's generosity to her fellow Detroiters. Now that Aretha has passed, perhaps Diana can step up to the plate. Perhaps no charity has asked Diana yet for sponsorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    While charity no doubt should come first at home, it is possible that Diana Ross might have not wanted to compete with Aretha Franklin's generosity to her fellow Detroiters. Now that Aretha has passed, perhaps Diana can step up to the plate. Perhaps no charity has asked Diana yet for sponsorship.
    Or perhaps shes doing it real quietly. Not everyone runs and hollers to the media about there generous acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Or perhaps shes doing it real quietly. Not everyone runs and hollers to the media about there generous acts.
    Roberta you nailed it.

Yes, thank you for your words of wisdom, Miss Roberta!

Isn’t it unfortunate, and rather sad, that we judge the actions of people that we do not know in the least. I am not speaking just of superstars such as Diana Ross but even our friends, family and neighbors. While we are looking out the window judging them, they could well be looking back through their window judging us. The answer is we should each do the best we can do to leverage and make our own charity decisions. I consider my donations and charity as personal and share them with neither friends nor family. You may disagree, but such discussions make an individual appear attention seaking.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 11-10-2018 at 12:19 AM.

"But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing..." Matthew 6:3

The only time we hear about Diana and her charity work is when she's done a charity show and the charity has publicized it. We never see Ross on social media or television talking about she did this or that for someone. In all the criticisms that have been leveled at her, there isn't a one that talks about her selfishness when people are in need. None of the books written quote anyone calling the woman stingy with her money. So if she's willing to give to singing partners she hasn't shared a stage with in eons or even singers she was never in a group with and probably hadn't seen or spoken to in a generation, why would anyone believe that she isn't giving to Detroit? Even the money she gave to Mary Wilson, the public didn't know about that until Mary told everybody in her second book [[and not the first one). Diana didn't say a word about it until that RTL mess when she decided to jump in the gutter with Mary. Even when Diana helped Mary Wells out with her medical bills, Diana didn't tell us that, somebody else did. So how in the world would He Who Shall Not Be Named know what Ross is doing or not doing for Detroit? Of course the fact that he chimed in his usual judgemental way should come as no surprise, after all, this is someone who likened himself to Christ. Why wouldn't he think he's all knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Isn’t it unfortunate, and rather sad, that we judge the actions of people that we do not know in the least. I am not speaking just of superstars such as Diana Ross but even our friends, family and neighbors. While we are looking out the window judging them, they could well be looking back through their window judging us. The answer is we should each do the best we can do to leverage and make our own charity decisions. I consider my donations and charity as personal and share them with neither friends nor family. You may disagree, but such discussions make an individual appear attention seaking.
    And lord in heaven, if a certain person in here sits in front of the mirror in judgment of hisself, the mirror surely gonna shatter in a million pieces

None of us step in Diana's shoes and are privy to her checkbook. To say she hasn't done anything for Detroit is ridiculous. First of all, how about the millions of girls she's inspired? Not everything has to come with a dollar sign. But speaking of dollars, how about the monetary support for the Ballard "girls".

The last time Diana played here, there was mention that $1 of each ticket sale went to support our community. I'll assume that happens often when Diana tours, even in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    None of us step in Diana's shoes and are privy to her checkbook. To say she hasn't done anything for Detroit is ridiculous. First of all, how about the millions of girls she's inspired? Not everything has to come with a dollar sign. But speaking of dollars, how about the monetary support for the Ballard "girls".

The last time Diana played here, there was mention that $1 of each ticket sale went to support our community. I'll assume that happens often when Diana tours, even in Detroit.
    It happens in every city she plays in MaryBrewster. In all of her current and past Wynn shows the same rule applies.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And lord in heaven, if a certain person in here sits in front of the mirror in judgment of hisself, the mirror surely gonna shatter in a million pieces
    And lies as easily as President Pus*y Grabber.

I can confirm that Diana Ross is very charitable and has been for YEARS. Don't pay attention to anyone who tells you she doesn't. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I can confirm that Diana Ross is very charitable and has been for YEARS. Don't pay attention to anyone who tells you she doesn't. Please.
    No one listens to the negativity anymore ...Its like a deranged politician with a bad haircut and a bigbutt and unhappy with their own life.

Ain't THAT the truth! As we know both Diana and Aretha's charitable acts are/were done for purposes of charity, not publicity. Dr. Reeves, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I don't wish to seem a churl, but Detroit has not been 'home' to Diana for nearly 50 years, nor has it been home to Motown's operations.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    No one listens to the negativity anymore ...Its like a deranged politician with a bad haircut and a bigbutt and unhappy with their own life.
    Trump and Marv have so much in common - bum buddies

Let's not judge Diana on what we think we know. In a similar vein, can only say how surprised I was to learn about the large number of acts of generosity undertaken by George Michael during his life that only came to light following his untimely death.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Let's not judge Diana on what we think we know. In a similar vein, can only say how surprised I was to learn about the large number of acts of generosity undertaken by George Michael during his life that only came to light following his untimely death.
    Right?? But of course we all know the anti-Diana agenda here.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    George Michael helped so many people without seeking out the credit. There a few celebrities who do a lot of worthy charity work but ensure that their good work is well publicised. I wonder whom I could be referring to? Just for the record Diana Ross does not insist that the whole world finds out about her charitable deeds. Lesser celebrities should take heed of her way of doing these things.

While it's obviously great that this money was raised and kudos to DIana for doing it, it does make me wonder ... why this cause , and in Canada specifically. [[ also why not?) There are so many causes to be involved in, how to choose?
    What other charity concerts has she done?
    Also did Diana perform for free , or was there compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    While it's obviously great that this money was raised and kudos to DIana for doing it, it does make me wonder ... why this cause , and in Canada specifically. [[ also why not?) There are so many causes to be involved in, how to choose?
    What other charity concerts has she done?
    Also did Diana perform for free , or was there compensation?
    I have no idea of the specifics of this charity. At one point in the 90s, Diana was the National Children's Day spokesperson, and for many years she has worked with A Better Chance, an organization that helps youngsters with their education. So perhaps the youth aspect made this charity attractive to Diana.

In the 90s, I attended a Diana concert that was a benefit for the Anti-Defamation League. Some of the Return to Love tour proceeds went to three charities, A Better Chance and Elizabeth Glaser's AIDS foundation amongst them, I think.

Unless I'm mistaken, that there are performance agencies who make their artists available for charities at a certain rate. The charity probably has a specific budget and that determines which artists they might request. I would assume that the artists need to sign off on the charity as one they approve of, but I don't know if that is always the case.
    Last edited by reese; 11-14-2018 at 01:07 PM.