[REMOVE ADS]

Top Supremes Covers

What do you think is the strongest cover song by the Sups? By Diana Solo?

what is weakest?

what is a dream cover they SHOULD have done

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

what is weakest?

Favorites:

Supremes/60's - I Can't Help Myself [[Four Tops)
    Supremes/70's - Bridge Over Troubled Water [[Simon and Garfunkel)
    Diana Ross - I can't say that I have a favorite cover per se, but I have to admit her performance of "God Bless America" from the 1st baseball game after 9/11 gives me chills. Simply beautiful.

It would have been nice for them to cover something with a bit of soul to it instead of all those dreary old standards...how about You'll Lose A Good Thing by Barbara Lynn instead of the awful Lady Is A Tramp.

[[Ain’t That) Good News
    I'm Gonna Make You Love Me

Time And Love
    Stoney End
    You Are Everything
    Stop, Look, Listen [[To Your Heart)

Love these
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 11-07-2018 at 08:33 PM.

I know this will probably draw a lot of fire, but my single favorite cover is Boots.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I know this will probably draw a lot of fire, but my single favorite cover is Boots.
    YES thanx, how did I forget that one. Love the alternate mix as well with the handclaps and DAMN!!!

Ain't That Good News - strongest Supremes cover [[there are not many I really love)
    Blowin' in the Wind - weakest [[there are so many weak covers to choose from)
    The Same Love That Made Me Laugh - strongest Diana Ross

what is weakest?

Strongest cover by the group? You know I have to break this down.
    Flo years= "Aint That Good News" [[I think it's superior to Sam's version honestly) DRATS= I think it's a tossup between "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" and "Someday We'll Be Together"
    Jean years= another tossup between "It's Too Late" and "Make It With You"

Weakest? Hands down FDM's "My Guy". Horrible rendition. Absolutely atrocious. Smokey and Pete produced this so I have to assume that Pete is the reason the song is so terrible because there's no way Smokey did such a fantastic job with Mary's version and then turned around and gave the Queens of Motown this bull. On the other hand, HDH gave Martha and the Vandellas their brilliant "Heat Wave" and the version that ended up on Sing HDH is not very good at all.

My dream cover is the original trio doing "Chapel of Love". I think that song fits them so well and could've been a great inclusion on Tribute to the Girls.

Strongest Diana cover? Has to be hands down "Aint No Mountain High Enough". It almost sounds like it's not even a cover.

Weakest Diana cover? "Mr. Lee". That song is god awful.

Dream Diana cover? I don't know if I have one dream cover, but I would've loved to have heard what Diana might have done with some of the songs Natalie Cole did in the 70s and 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    [[Ain’t That) Good News
    I'm Gonna Make You Love Me

Time And Love
    Stoney End
    You Are Everything
    Stop, Look, Listen [[To Your Heart)

Love these
    Agree with all of these Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    No fire from me Thanx. I love the cover of "Boots". Only thing that would've made it better is backing vocals from Flo and Mary. [[I also think a Flo lead vocal would've been better than a Diana vocal on this, but that's neither here nor there. The song is great as is.)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Ain't That Good News - strongest Supremes cover [[there are not many I really love)
    Blowin' in the Wind - weakest [[there are so many weak covers to choose from)
    The Same Love That Made Me Laugh - strongest Diana Ross
    "Blowin" is probably my #2 weakest Supremes cover, followed by "What the World Needs Now". I agree that Diana's "Same Love" is very strong. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    YES thanx, how did I forget that one. Love the alternate mix as well with the handclaps and DAMN!!!
    Love the handclaps version even more than the original.

i'm going to skip their concept lps like Sam, Funny Girl, R&H etc since those are mostly all covers

I'm gonna make you love me and Someday are both covers but the Sup versions so surpassed the originals, it's like they made them their own.

as for covers that were album fillers that i love
    This Old Heart Of Mine
    Shake Me [[Wake Me)
    Whisper you love me
    530 plane is up there too

Covers that weren't bad but maybe needed some adjusting or touch ups:
    Boots - flo on lead
    Love makes me do foolish - M and C on backgrounds and with some vocal interplay

Terrible covers
    Wind
    hey jude

Diana solo covers - skipping Mountain since like IGMULM and Someday, Diana made it her own. also skipping her jazz work
    *you're all i need to get by
    *you are everything - i adore how she sings "today i saw somebody, that looked just like you" how she just uses a touchy of breathyness on You. gives me tingles
    *come in from the rain
    *carry on

worst diana cover
    *solo version of Endless Love - this is absolutely unlistenable and it's amazing that an artist can fuck up the cover of HER OWN SONG!!!!

i'm going to skip their concept lps like Sam, Funny Girl, R&H etc since those are mostly all covers

I'm gonna make you love me and Someday are both covers but the Sup versions so surpassed the originals, it's like they made them their own.
    I agree IGMYLM & SWBT pretty much coopted the originals [[as did Diana's ANMHE).
    I also agree about the concept albums but Ain't That Good News is so exceptional.
    as for covers that were album fillers that i love
    This Old Heart Of Mine
    Shake Me [[Wake Me)
    Whisper you love me
    I like these three but Whisper is also better than the original [[imo)
    Terrible covers
    Wind
    hey jude
    Yes and yes [[by which I mean No! and No!)
    *you are everything - i adore how she sings "today i saw somebody, that looked just like
    you
    " how she just uses a touchy of breathyness on You. gives me tingles
    Her breathy lower register on "Today I saw somebody" is the part that gives me the tingles!
    *solo version of Endless Love - this is absolutely unlistenable and it's amazing that an artist can fuck up the cover of HER OWN SONG!!!!
    I kinda like her solo version but I can understand why others hate it. [[Do I make any sense?)

^ yeah i think her whole first verse on You Are Everything is part of what makes Diana a magical vocalist. and producers have said her phrasing and interpretation was just instinct. while she of course developed hugely over the years, even when she was much younger and singing, she was amazing with this. far more so than M or F during this time. Sure F and M had amazing moments. Good News is wonderful and F really works it. not just with some vocal gymnastics but she feels the lyrics, vibe and phrasing. And although it's just partial, M's lead on Christmas Story is also amazing. beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Agree with all of these Tom.
    Thanks Ran.

You know, I didn't even think of "Ain't No Mountain" or "Someday We'll Be Together" as covers. I guess because they're Motown [[well very nearly for the latter) songs and I was trying to go for proper outside covers. Anyway, I also love The Supremes' versions of "This Old Heart Of Mine", "Get Ready", "I Can't Help Myself" and "Can I Get A Witness".

i like diana's version of Heatwave but think the production is weak. same as What The World Needs Now .
    what becomes of the broken hearted ,not a fav