[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Martha could very well just be following the template of the original SWEET SOUL MUSIC by Arthur Conley, in that Arthur paid tribute to various acts but didn't mention himself. Calling out her own song titles was a nice touch that Arthur couldn't do since he had no hits before this one.
    I was thinking along the same lines. It was Martha & The Vandellas singing the song, so it wouldn't be necessary to give a shout out to yourself. It would sound awkward to refer to yourself in the third person in song. That would be a bit like someone saying, I'd like to salute all the greats of this or that and then after listing all the people saying, " and MYSELF".

I'm also recalling another song where Marvin Gaye was name dropping various Motown singers but he didn't say his own name. Yet another song "Life Is A Rock [[But The Radio Rolled Me)" is basically a continuous name-dropping session of a lot of Top 40 artists, but again, the group does not mention themselves.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 12-18-2018 at 11:19 AM.