[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm sorry but Levi WISHES he could sing like David. Levi is indeed one of the greatest singers of all time, but David hits notes that you wouldn't expect. One of the few male vocalists who could actually sing high notes and HOLD IT [[case in point the "My Girl" performance with Eddie at D.C. in '72).

Just imagine if his solo career had taken off, he'd be seen as one of the GREATEST. In terms of greatest male Motown vocalists, he and Marvin would go toe to toe for me. Such a shame David never became a superstar. A doggone shame.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm sorry but Levi WISHES he could sing like David.
    I have a feeling that there was never a day that Levi Stubbs woke up wishing he could sing like anybody but himself. He was a force of nature. You don't envy other voices when you sound like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I have a feeling that there was never a day that Levi Stubbs woke up wishing he could sing like anybody but himself. He was a force of nature. You don't envy other voices when you sound like that.
    That may be true. They were both great. But I honesty can't compare them or compare both to Marvin per se or Dennis Edwards... WOW, Motown had some of the greatest singers alive with those four! I can't even imagine a group with them. Too many ego clashes lmao

That may be true. They were both great. But I honesty can't compare them or compare both to Marvin per se or Dennis Edwards... WOW, Motown had some of the greatest singers alive with those four! I can't even imagine a group with them. Too many ego clashes lmao
    There's no need to compare them. A discussion of David Ruffin's talent shouldn't involve discussion of anyone else's talent. All of those men, Marvin and Dennis being included, were great in their own right, using what God gave them and using it the way they artistically thought best. For me no male voice comes close to Marvin in the way that it affects me, but Marvin is Marvin just like David is David. Personally I wouldn't begin to know how to compare them except in the most simplest of ways and that's by stating that vocally David doesn't do for me what Marvin does for me. But I wouldn't be able to quantify what makes one "better" than the other. They were all effective, legendary voices.

And yeah, that super group would've been too much to handle. Levi probably would've been the least likely to have an ego issue, but Marvin, David and Dennis in the same group? I give it a year, tops. And I'm being generous with that. LOL

I'm sorry but Levi WISHES he could sing like David. Levi is indeed one of the greatest singers of all time, but David hits notes that you wouldn't expect. One of the few male vocalists who could actually sing high notes and HOLD IT [[case in point the "My Girl" performance with Eddie at D.C. in '72).

Just imagine if his solo career had taken off, he'd be seen as one of the GREATEST. In terms of greatest male Motown vocalists, he and Marvin would go toe to toe for me. Such a shame David never became a superstar. A doggone shame.
    Two words. I agree.