[REMOVE ADS]

I'd rather have a whole bunch of other Motown PEOPLE while they remain alive instead of Sheryl Crow and John Legend.

Skooldem you beat me to the punch...LOL I just saw this on the news and was going to post the article from the Washington Post oh well here it is.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/14...to-white-house

How does John Legend and Sheryl Crow = Motown?

smark21 Guest
    Because the performance is being filmed for PBS and it will be used as a pledge drive special. John Legend and Sheryl Crow are more likely to get viewers to watch and perhaps donate rather than Carolyn Crawford. Besides, more and more, it's the songs that made Motown and contribute to its lasting legacy not the performers. People age, become infirm and die. Songs can live forever.

My late grandmother couldn't tell a Martha Reeves from a Diana Ross or a Mahalia Jackson from a Billie Holiday in the sixties. I tried to explain to her about Motown and what it stood for, but in vain.
    But then again, she was a bit short-sighted and tried to cover up by saying something like: "With black people I have the same problem as with the Chinese people... they all look alike." In short, she wasn't accustomed to seeing black people.
    She was already in her seventies.
    I forgave her.

Mary, Smark and Robbert.......very excellent posts; it sucks, but it's true.

It's sad to think of how many producers of shows seem to believe that the music & legacy is so weak, that it can't stand on its own merit.

Then, as in the case with past Motown specials, they trot out an Adam Ant or Boy George who are then swallowed up by its legacy. If not that, there's some kid ruminating about how important Motown was to them, when the truth usually turns out to be quite a bit further from that.

I guess that I'm tired of hearing kids who weren't even born when I was, attempting to tell us how profound 'What's Goin' On' was, as if they really there to understand those times.

I thought that greatness was able to stand on its own. In the dumbed-down society of today, perhaps that's no longer true.

Sad, sad, sad!

Why is he even doing this and then only inviting Smokey Robinson as the only bona fide Motown Artist? I like John Legend, but I don't want to watch him singing Marvin Gaye songs. Sheryl Crow, I know the name but am not very familiar with her. I'd rather have authenticity, than some watered down attempt to get ratings. There are still enough REAL Motown Artists and Detroit musicians to really put on a JAM packed 2 hour program of great Motown music. They are just never given much opportunity . That is why I enjoy T.J. Lubinsky's programs so much.

smark21 Guest
    They could have invited Martha Reeves.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    They could have invited Martha Reeves.
    As well as Dennis Edwards and the Temptations Revue, The Velvelettes, The Contours, Spinners, Four Tops, Mary Wilson, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, The Jacksons, Chuck Jackson, Bettye LaVette, the Temptations, Jean Terrell, Carolyn Crawford, the Originals, Eddie and Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway to name a few.

You could also add Lionel Ritchie/Commodores who were suppose to have had a reunion by now from what he said two years ago. Maybe even El DeBarge if he is up to it.

What's the point of the President doing something about Motown but only inviting Smokey? Did Stevie ever get an invitation considering he was feted by the White House two years ago.

I'm tired of people saying they respect Motown but not really giving up to the surviving members of the label and its sound. That goes for anyone who claims to be up on music.

I get it, it's for a charity drive but inviting John Legend and Sheryl Crow??? Seriously???

“Ms. [Diana] Ross was not able to come,” said a White House source. “I believe her reason was a scheduling conflict, but you’d have to ask her. She was invited to both perform and be in the audience similar to Smokey Robinson, who is able to attend.”

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/3...-the-burn.html

smark21 Guest
    Outside of people on this board and similar forum, most of the people who will be in the audience and who will watch the show on PBS won't care if John Legend and Sheryl Crow and whoever else are the ones performing the songs. All they'll care about is that they will watch a good show.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    As well as Dennis Edwards and the Temptations Revue, The Velvelettes, The Contours, Spinners, Four Tops, Mary Wilson, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, The Jacksons, Chuck Jackson, Bettye LaVette, the Temptations, Jean Terrell, Carolyn Crawford, the Originals, Eddie and Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway to name a few.
    What a line up this could be.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Outside of people on this board and similar forum, most of the people who will be in the audience and who will watch the show on PBS won't care if John Legend and Sheryl Crow and whoever else are the ones performing the songs. All they'll care about is that they will watch a good show.
    It will not be good show though. They are "performers". John Legend sits at a piano mostly and Sheryl Crow, what she does is anyone's guess.