Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
Am I the only one who finds it strange Tina wrote all these excellent songs, while she was with Ike, and absolutely nothing after she left him?

A more cynical guy than me could get the impression Tina's name was on the songs as a tax dodge, much like James Brown did when I believe he had his daughters down as writing some of his songs, around the Bodyheat period.

I read an interview once by one of the musicians who played on Ike and Tina's songs, and he said Tina wasn't allowed in the studio when they were recording. Isn't it unusual that this creative genius, who wrote all these great songs, was banned from the studio, when she could have been giving advice on how she wanted the songs she wrote to be performed? That seems very strange to me, even knowing that Ike was a control freak.

In the movie What's Love Got To Do With It, after she leaves Ike, Tina meets a music executive, and he asks her what kind of music she plans on singing, and Tina says something along the lines of "Rock and Roll. I don't want to do that old sad sax stuff I did with Ike"

If all those the songs were sad, why did she write them? Why didn't she write some new rock tracks when she went solo? I know people have a period when they're at their creative peak, but not one single song after she left Ike? I'm just not buying it.

I believe when she left, Tina didn't even want the royalties to these songs she allegedly wrote? If she did write them, that was a very magnanimous gesture on her part, but could it be that she knew she didn't really deserve any, as they had all been written by Ike?
Early during her comeback success, Tina was asked why didn't compose any of her material. She said something along the lines of if she did write, it would be depressing stuff because that was a lot of what she experienced. She hadn't yet had enough fun experiences. I also think during that hectic 80s and early 90s, she was probably too busy to just sit down and write.

Re her compositions during the Ike and Tina era, from what I've read, Ike would come up with a track and have Tina write the lyrics.

Re her not going into the studio, in her first book, Tina said that she was actually glad when Ike was in the studio, especially after he built Bolic Sound. It was his presence at home that she dreaded. But then she would get calls at all hours summoning her to the studio anyway.

I'm sure she will share more in her upcoming book.