This album has been the subject of discussion more than a few times. I keep coming back to it and I keep marveling at how cohesive, tight and flawless this album is. Nearly all 60's Motown albums gave you a lot of listening pleasure for the money, but at times, some LPs [[thankfully not too many) could sound like what they were: a collection of songs by various producers assembled together. The "Pink Album" is among Motown's best albums ever.

I have to think there was a certain amount of "deliberate care" in putting this album together. If you notice, although Wanda Rogers had become the primary lead, both Wanda and Gladys share a pretty even split of cuts on the album, with one- "Keep Off, No Trespassing" featuring both ladies- Gladys on verses, Wanda on choruses. Clever!

There is an overall sense that Motown decided Smokey Robinson was right all along- The Marvelettes really could sing jazzier, more adult tunes. "Message To Michael", "I Know Better", "This Night Was Made For Love" and the incredibly moving, "I Can't Turn Around" are some of the most songs of substance you'll ever find on any Motown album, wait- on ANY album period. Of course "Hunter", "Young And In Love" are heavyweights in the Marvelettes cannon as well. Really, there isn't a lightweight cut on the album anywhere.

I keep wondering, with the success of "Don't Mess With Bill", did the group's stock rise in the eyes of Motown. There is a concert souvenir program I have that gives the group the entire back page. That really shocked me as I would have figured honor would have gone to The Sups, Tempts, Tops or Miracles. All the other programs I have usually feature a montage of various Motown artists. Even if "Don't Mess With Bill" gave the group a boost in the ranks at Motown, you have to applaud the fact that at least they did seem to attempt to build on the momentum of that hit and gave the group arguable their best album ever.

The booklets we've received in the various expanded editions of The Supremes albums all give great insights and background on what went into assembling those albums. It would be great to hear from some of the songwriters and producers involved in the making of The Pink Album to see if there was a sense at the company to make this as fine an album as possible.

I have to say too, I'll be forever indebted to Harry Weinger, Keith Hughes, George Solomon, Kevin Reeves and everyone else associated with and responsible for giving us the "Forever More" box sets. Those are truly "Expanded Editions" for we got mono and stereo mixes of the LPs and all kinds of extras. For me, I'm most grateful for the mono and stereo mixes of our beloved "Pink Album."Name:  pink album [[16).jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  92.8 KB