[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I agree Sup. The Liverpool sessions occurred over approximately a two day period in September and was in stores in October. The girls had only had two number one hits at that point, so this was all about taking advantage of their new found popularity, artistry be damned. I'm not a fan of a lot of the British Invasion stuff because the sound doesn't appeal to me, even when they cover R&B. The Liverpool album would've been so much better if Motown hadn't tried to recreate the sound of the British groups and instead had done all those same songs but in the style of Motown. I think the album may have sold better and would today be regarded as a classic.

The Country album was a two year old idea by the time the album was released. The first sessions were conducted in early 1963 and the rest of the songs were recorded in late 1964, some of the early 1963 songs were re-recorded in late 1964 too. Had the Supremes been a popular act for quite a few years at this point, I think trying to do what Ray Charles did could've worked. But having a group known for singing "baby" songs for roughly six months or so, I imagine people laughed when they saw the C&W album in record stores. There was no way that album had much more of a chance than The Supremes Sing and Perform Opera or Yodeling With the Supremes. Artistically it turned out very well. The harmonies are fantastic. But commercially, this was bound to fail.

Sam Cooke tribute was a brilliant idea, but ultimately lacked one of the things that was keeping the Supremes popular: the Funk Bros musicianship. Once again the track is a west coast track. Where a beautiful rendering of Sam's songs could've taken place between the Supremes and their obvious ability to bring to the table the same kind of attitude Sam brought, with his ability to bridge the gap, and the Funk Bros Motowning the tunes up, instead we get nice singing for sure, but a stale musician sound, IMO. Once again, if done right, this album probably would've sold more [[I think the drab album cover didn't help) and would today be considered a real classic.

As for Tribute to the Girls, I thought "Our Day Will Come" and "People" would've been considered for this. I wonder if after the last of the concept trilogy of 64/65, Gordy and company finally realized that if they were going to take the Supremes from Motown to the beyond, then they best give more attention to the next concept project? Certainly R&H was given quality attention. And while the full album never materialized, even the Disney cuts were high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sam Cooke tribute was a brilliant idea, but ultimately lacked one of the things that was keeping the Supremes popular: the Funk Bros musicianship. Once again the track is a west coast track. Where a beautiful rendering of Sam's songs could've taken place between the Supremes and their obvious ability to bring to the table the same kind of attitude Sam brought, with his ability to bridge the gap, and the Funk Bros Motowning the tunes up, instead we get nice singing for sure, but a stale musician sound, IMO. Once again, if done right, this album probably would've sold more [[I think the drab album cover didn't help) and would today be considered a real classic.
    I think the one exception was "Aint That Good News", which IMO is the real highlight of the album. The band was kickin ass on that one.

The Liverpool album would've been so much better if Motown hadn't tried to recreate the sound of the British groups and instead had done all those same songs but in the style of Motown. I think the album may have sold better and would today be regarded as a classic.
    I did dig a lot of the British Invasion but the Motown Sound in 1964 sounded so much better [[and has withstood the test of time so much better, too!). I agree, Motown should have given the album "the Detroit Sound", as it was known then, and released it later [[say in December), by which time they could have had a greater choice of songs.
    I imagine people laughed when they saw the C&W album in record stores. There was no way that album had much more of a chance than
    The Supremes Sing and Perform Opera
    or
    Yodeling With the Supremes
    . Artistically it turned out very well. The harmonies are fantastic. But commercially, this was bound to fail.
    Yes, I thought this was very odd even then. [[LOL, I'm on board for Yodeling With the Supremes). Again, more thought and care should have been taken, if they were going to even do CW&P. I think the Stevie Wonder tunes [[Baby Doll, Sunset) were good examples of "Detroit Goes to Nashville" and I really liked the Supremes' vocal interpretations of originals [[Funny, Makes No Difference Now, and especially Lazybones). Not crazy about the early 1963-64 cuts.
    Sam Cooke tribute was a brilliant idea, but ultimately lacked one of the things that was keeping the Supremes popular: the Funk Bros musicianship. … A beautiful rendering of Sam's songs could've taken place between the Supremes and their obvious ability to bring to the table the same kind of attitude Sam brought, with his ability to bridge the gap.
    Yeah, this really could have used the Funk Brothers. It could have really been a special tribute. Good News was definitely the best cut, and demonstrates that making it a real group effort [[a few leads by Florence & Mary) would have made it a classic Supremes album.
    re: Tribute to the Girls: This would have been so appropriate as a concept album in 1965 [[and far less jarring!). The British Invasion conquered many American pop genres [[except Motown, of course), leaving the Supremes, and to a lesser extent, Martha & the Vandellas and the Marvelettes, to hold up the Girl Groups banner.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post

Yes, I thought this was very odd even then. [[LOL, I'm on board for Yodeling With the Supremes). Again, more thought and care should have been taken, if they were going to even do CW&P. I think the Stevie Wonder tunes [[Baby Doll, Sunset) were good examples of "Detroit Goes to Nashville" and I really liked the Supremes' vocal interpretations of originals [[Funny, Makes No Difference Now, and especially Lazybones). Not crazy about the early 1963-64 cuts.

Yeah, this really could have used the Funk Brothers. It could have really been a special tribute. Good News was definitely the best cut, and demonstrates that making it a real group effort [[a few leads by Florence & Mary) would have made it a classic Supremes album.
    Believe it or not, I think Florence would've really shined on the yodeling album.

On C&W, Mary should've probably done the lead on "Nothing Can Change This Love". I think she may have shined on "You Send Me" also. Why they didn't record "Sentimental Reasons", I wonder? They include it in the Sam Cooke medley. Florence should've sung "A Change Is Gonna Come". That song was not right for Diana at all. And while I stand by my opinion that the album needed the Funk Bros, the Sam Cooke album is one of my favorites because ultimately the girls sound great, but "Change Is Gonna Come" is the one skippable song on the set. I tend to skip "Only 16" too, but not as much as I skip "Change". Sometimes Motown got carried away with the Diana leads. She was great but she was not right for every damn song. There are definitely songs the other girls were better fits for.

On C&W, Mary should've probably done the lead on "Nothing Can Change This Love". I think she may have shined on "You Send Me" also. Why they didn't record "Sentimental Reasons", I wonder? They include it in the Sam Cooke medley. Florence should've sung "A Change Is Gonna Come". That song was not right for Diana at all. And while I stand by my opinion that the album needed the Funk Bros, the Sam Cooke album is one of my favorites because ultimately the girls sound great, but "Change Is Gonna Come" is the one skippable song on the set. I tend to skip "Only 16" too, but not as much as I skip "Change". Sometimes Motown got carried away with the Diana leads. She was great but she was not right for every damn song. There are definitely songs the other girls were better fits for.
    Florence should definitely have done "A Change Is Gonna Come", my favorite Sam Cooke song. I could see all three sharing the lead, as in "It Makes No Difference Now" from CW&P. Mary would be great on "Nothing Can Change This Love", and "Only Sixteen". I don't care much for "Sentimental Reasons" in their live medley, so I don't miss it here.
    Believe it or not, I think Florence would've really shined on the yodeling album.
    I'm hearing it right now!