[REMOVE ADS]

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    I'd bet anything there's more unreleased Jean 1969/70 in the vaults than we can even wrap our heads around.

I'm living in hope.

A new Olivia Newton John set, a new forthcoming George Michael,and another Elvis.
    No Ross,Supremes yet.
    Let's hope for Diana's 80th...

The 80th is a good reason - there should be something

But the numbers of fans have to be slipping some although there’s always lots of love on Facebook for her and her albums

As a young-ish fan [[35), I feel like "Reflections" and "Love Child" both have solid name recognition, even if a younger audience isn't familiar with the actual albums. I think they would both sell well if marketed right as far as expanded editions are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    As a young-ish fan [[35), I feel like "Reflections" and "Love Child" both have solid name recognition, even if a younger audience isn't familiar with the actual albums. I think they would both sell well if marketed right as far as expanded editions are concerned.
    I agree. Not sure what you consider "younger", but REFLECTIONS had a resurgence as the theme to China Beach, and LOVE CHILD was covered successfully by Sweet Sensation. So that's a whole different generation outside the 60's that should be familiar with these songs.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    A new Olivia Newton John set, a new forthcoming George Michael,and another Elvis.
    No Ross,Supremes yet.
    Let's hope for Diana's 80th...
    I think Aretha has a 70s set coming out too.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I think Aretha has a 70s set coming out too.
    I think I saw a 5 album 70’s set and a similar set for Tina Turner along with an article on their years long feud - unless that’s just more fake news

Maybe for the 80th, we get all Reflections,Love Child, cream of the Crop to celebrate her b day

I believe diAna her self is stopping all releases even the Supremes there’s no other logical explanation , which is a darn shame when we the fans spent each thousands and thousands on these releases over the years if it was not for the fans there would be no Diana we put her through the stratosphere in terms of being famous. It was the fans , we live for these releases

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    I believe diAna her self is stopping all releases even the Supremes there’s no other logical explanation , which is a darn shame when we the fans spent each thousands and thousands on these releases over the years if it was not for the fans there would be no Diana we put her through the stratosphere in terms of being famous. It was the fans , we live for these releases
    Why would you even have that idea? And how could she even “stop” them if she wanted to? We’ve been very lucky to have as many expanded releases as we’ve had so, if even if your theory was correct, why wouldn’t those have been “stopped”, too?

I agree. Not sure what you consider "younger", but REFLECTIONS had a resurgence as the theme to China Beach, and LOVE CHILD was covered successfully by Sweet Sensation. So that's a whole different generation outside the 60's that should be familiar with these songs.
    True, "young" is relative. My 16-year-old nephew is a third-generation Supremes fan, and all of his friends love cd's because they're "vintage." Oof!

There's a 70s-themed bar here in Chicago that serves a mostly Millennial/Gen Z crowd. They always play Supremes/Ross music on Diana's birthday. People love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Why would you even have that idea? And how could she even “stop” them if she wanted to? We’ve been very lucky to have as many expanded releases as we’ve had so, if even if your theory was correct, why wouldn’t those have been “stopped”, too?
    I agree; these are Universal choices, not hers. I recall her being surprised when some of them were issued,

Think she was happy with Touch Me In The Morning, Blue, and AGo Go

i don't know that Diana would have the absolute cancellation authority. but there could be some component or clause in her contracts that gives her some degree of authorization on material. i thought there has been talk that there were unreleased songs at RCA and none of those have come out. it could be that diana isn't giving her approval.

with her resigning with motown, perhaps she had language included. and this could be applicable to the music recorded during her contract and doesn't matter if she is still an artist on the label or not.

Andy and George have also said they would not release things that erode the memory of the group or singers. i think they meant they would not consider releasing things that have errors or wrong notes or something. But that could also mean if one of the women had specifically said "please don't do this" i am certainly the team would abide by their wishes

maybe the Reflections song, album and time period is very sensitive to Diana. clearly there were hugely traumatic things occurring within the group. maybe that's driving Diana to say "hey let's just enjoy the music we have and focus on the positive."

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i don't know that Diana would have the absolute cancellation authority. but there could be some component or clause in her contracts that gives her some degree of authorization on material. i thought there has been talk that there were unreleased songs at RCA and none of those have come out. it could be that diana isn't giving her approval.

with her resigning with motown, perhaps she had language included. and this could be applicable to the music recorded during her contract and doesn't matter if she is still an artist on the label or not.

Andy and George have also said they would not release things that erode the memory of the group or singers. i think they meant they would not consider releasing things that have errors or wrong notes or something. But that could also mean if one of the women had specifically said "please don't do this" i am certainly the team would abide by their wishes

maybe the Reflections song, album and time period is very sensitive to Diana. clearly there were hugely traumatic things occurring within the group. maybe that's driving Diana to say "hey let's just enjoy the music we have and focus on the positive."
    I doubt Diana has that much authority to say "No, you're not releasing this." I do believe though, with the amount of respect that Andy and George have for Diana, that they wouldn't release anything if she felt that strongly.

Diana must get some royalty for these releases, so why would she say no? That's $ in the bank, honey! I know Andy and Harry were photographed with A GO GO Expanded and she looked beaming.

You'll never get her to be as involved as Mary, but she'd be a fool to veto anything.

Copied from MT.

Universal are not helping anything - it apparently makes more sense to release nothing than to pay for salaries etc. etc. to release product in the era of diminishing returns. So why not 'give it away'! Of course they're unlikely to do that in case some big shot movie comes calling for the inclusion of a Motown track in their soundtrack etc and paying mega bucks for the privilege.

The easy answer [[IMHO) is to put EVERYTHING up on line for download - I think we can forget the luxury of physical copies in all but exceptional cases. Let the material work for itself. It would cost next door to nothing to put it all up on iTunes and at least bring in a few dollars against what they paid for the catalogue. In all honesty they should have done this 10 or 15 years ago when the audiences were bigger.

As I said time is running out for many of us boomers so it's now or never.
    Last edited by copley; 10-30-2023 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Universal are not helping anything - it apparently makes more sense to release nothing than to pay for salaries etc. etc. to release product in the era of diminishing returns.
    Unfortunately this is exactly and precisely true.

Universal is a business. Not a library or a museum or a charity. It is highly likely they will lose money putting Reflections out. I've posted many times on this here little old forum that they likely released the previous EEs because we have a few key people who convince them to release back catalog for the fans, not that they'll make a measurable profit.

Physical media, be it shellac or vinyl or 8-tracks or 4-tracks or CDs has just never been that profitable. A few large selling artists generally subsidized everyone else on the major labels. For instance, Bing Crosby nearly completely made Decca records in the 30s and 40s. His shellac basically paid for everyone else's physical product. Likely the same with the Supremes and Motown. Verve Records, the premier label for Jazz in the 50s and 60s, was completely underwritten by concerts - that's straight from the owner, Norman Granz. They never made any money on those beautiful black and silver label records. And now, it's still the same... concerts that make artists rich, not anything any music company puts on either physical or streaming media. Physical media has exceptionally high overhead until you're selling billions of units. And with competition so fierce, that's hard to do.

The easy answer [[IMHO) is to put EVERYTHING up on line for download
    I really want to agree with you but licensing alone would be a nightmare. And then there's the overhead of hosting and serving, no small cost. This is why there are only a few streaming services that make it [[Apple, Spotify, Amazon, Google). With the weird economics of physical media right now, it is more likely we would see a vinyl reissue of Reflections than a CD! Imagine that. Ain't that a laugh?
    Last edited by thanxal; 10-30-2023 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    With the weird economics of physical media right now, it is more likely we would see a vinyl reissue of Reflections than a CD! Imagine that. Ain't that a laugh?
    Universal did reissue the harder-to-find mono mix of the Reflections album on vinyl, as part of their Motown mono vinyl series, back in 2019/2020...

https://www.amazon.com/Reflections-M...s%2C120&sr=8-1

Highly recommended!
    Last edited by carlo; 10-30-2023 at 10:49 PM.

Cd’s are released every week from veritably unknown artists. It’s all rather confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Cd’s are released every week from veritably unknown artists. It’s all rather confusing.
    Yes but those in themselves are like playing the lottery - if just one or two pay big over a year then it's a win win situation - concerts - tv performances - different formats - deluxe editions, they know with back catalogue all they can sell is a few thousand. Even those 'TV advertised' compilations of back catalogue would fail to sell many nowadays. Remember Motown was at its most popular in the 1960's stretching into the 70's. And the main fans then were in their 20's making them born in the 1940's and 50's making them now at their youngest in their 70's and possibly 80's - hardly a demographic that encourages a business to spend cash aiming product at. While we look at Motown as a lifestyle or a love the owners look at it as a business.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Yes but those in themselves are like playing the lottery - if just one or two pay big over a year then it's a win win situation - concerts - tv performances - different formats - deluxe editions, they know with back catalogue all they can sell is a few thousand. Even those 'TV advertised' compilations of back catalogue would fail to sell many nowadays. Remember Motown was at its most popular in the 1960's stretching into the 70's. And the main fans then were in their 20's making them born in the 1940's and 50's making them now at their youngest in their 70's and possibly 80's - hardly a demographic that encourages a business to spend cash aiming product at. While we look at Motown as a lifestyle or a love the owners look at it as a business.
    Well there we have it in a nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    The peak age for music sales used to be 18.5 years old. I would have to guess just because of demographics that must have shifted into the 20s, but that should say something about core audiences. People in their 60s, 70s, and 80s are buying Medicine, not Motown! The Sound of Young America is now creaking bones.

If promoted right reflections would sell good there’s hard-core fans on here who would buy multiple copies such as myself it sure would be nice to get, what’s the next album after reflections to be expanded?

Love child or her Ross 78.
    To me ,being her 80th, I think they should finish the set by doing all of them 2024

Has work ever actually begun on an expanded “Reflections” album or is it all just fingers crossed, wishful thinking from us fans?. I have a feeling it would take Diana’s demise [[god forbid) for anything unreleased or remastered to appear.

Has work ever actually begun on an expanded “Reflections” album or is it all just fingers crossed, wishful thinking from us fans?. I have a feeling it would take Diana’s demise [[god forbid) for anything unreleased or remastered to appear.
    i don't know the exact stages of preparedness but i believe both Ross 78 and Reflections are either pretty much done or at least very far along. both had been promoted in prior EE booklets as sort of "coming soon"

i don't know the exact stages of preparedness but i believe both Ross 78 and Reflections are either pretty much done or at least very far along. both had been promoted in prior EE booklets as sort of "coming soon"
    I’m now not so certain that those “coming soon” reminders actually meant that product had been prepared or was being worked on for release.sup. The profit to be made from such releases seemingly proving a huge obstacle.

I’m now not so certain that those “coming soon” reminders actually meant that product had been prepared or was being worked on for release.sup. The profit to be made from such releases seemingly proving a huge obstacle.
    yeah i don't mean that things were at the printers and they were ready to hit the "go" button. but rather that a lot of the cleanup of the tracks had been done, they'd already been scouring through the tapes to find that material to include. obviously 2 cds had room for well more than just the stereo and mono albums so they'd found what other things to include [[maybe disney? maybe more live performances?). the material for booklet was probably moving along.

I doubt Diana has that much authority to say "No, you're not releasing this." I do believe though, with the amount of respect that Andy and George have for Diana, that they wouldn't release anything if she felt that strongly.

Diana must get some royalty for these releases, so why would she say no? That's $ in the bank, honey! I know Andy and Harry were photographed with A GO GO Expanded and she looked beaming.

You'll never get her to be as involved as Mary, but she'd be a fool to veto anything.
    of course if this was a set Universal really, really wanted to release, i think you're right. DR wouldn't necessary have veto power. again, unless there's some contractual clause in one of her contracts that maintains her right to approve re-releases on her catalog. and i have no idea if she did have such a clause. Stevie supposedly does which is why we don't have any more of his work with the Sups besides just BW. of course he was producer so that might have had a big part of it. but who knows - maybe with her RCA contract she worked in more right to do this and then her return to motown might have something too.

anyway, my real point is Universal probably doesn't give 2 shits if this is ever released. and if DR voices her misgivings on it and said "i'd prefer you NOT release this" I'm sure Universal would be like "good enough for us - done"

yeah i don't mean that things were at the printers and they were ready to hit the "go" button. but rather that a lot of the cleanup of the tracks had been done, they'd already been scouring through the tapes to find that material to include. obviously 2 cds had room for well more than just the stereo and mono albums so they'd found what other things to include [[maybe disney? maybe more live performances?). the material for booklet was probably moving along.
    My guess is that we'd get Treat Me Nice John Henry, Going All The Way To True Love, Stay In My Lonely Arms, and Am I Asking Too Much, along with some Disney tracks and alternates. I'm wondering if they would fold Live At Talk of the Town into the EE or maybe their live broadcast from Rotterdam. I'd think they would have to include live material since there wasn't much recording going on during this time.

I'd mostly like to set the record straight on who's singing background on Reflections. Andy or George confirmed on here a while back that Mary is definitely on the record, but didn't mention any other names.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    My guess is that we'd get Treat Me Nice John Henry, Going All The Way To True Love, Stay In My Lonely Arms, and Am I Asking Too Much, along with some Disney tracks and alternates. I'm wondering if they would fold Live At Talk of the Town into the EE or maybe their live broadcast from Rotterdam. I'd think they would have to include live material since there wasn't much recording going on during this time.

I'd mostly like to set the record straight on who's singing background on Reflections. Andy or George confirmed on here a while back that Mary is definitely on the record, but didn't mention any other names.
    And also to confirm what's up with the backgrounds on In And Out Of Love. It's said it's Mary and Flo with the Andantes added in but I only hear the Andantes.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    And also to confirm what's up with the backgrounds on In And Out Of Love. It's said it's Mary and Flo with the Andantes added in but I only hear the Andantes.
    Yes! I don't hear Mary or Flo either.

if i had to pick what i'm most eager for, it would be, in order:

totally new, unknown, unreleased songs
    the booklet
    unreleased live tracks
    released hits/songs with completely different vocals or instrumentation added back in

the reason i have the booklet so high is that i LOVE the facts, dates, timelines, never before seen pics, etc. I need this to continue my Supremes Excel sheet lol

also as you mentioned, my guess is that if there were truly magical unreleased songs from this time period, we probably would have already gotten them. between 25th anniversary, Never Before Released Masters, L&F, the pink box set, the various anthologies, etc. Of course they sometimes discover a new song and that's wonderful. but i'd guess the odds of that are low. It would be great hearing an alt TOTT live set and unedited.

I wish that all these dreams could come true but in reality they won't. As far as I am aware nothing has been approved, nothing has been worked on. Even Ace can't get anything past the post. It's the times we now live in that make such releases simply not viable. We had good times but sadly they are over. When Diana dies we will probably just get a re-release of her greatest hits. I don't mean to be a party pooper but we have to face the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I wish that all these dreams could come true but in reality they won't. As far as I am aware nothing has been approved, nothing has been worked on. Even Ace can't get anything past the post. It's the times we now live in that make such releases simply not viable. We had good times but sadly they are over. When Diana dies we will probably just get a re-release of her greatest hits. I don't mean to be a party pooper but we have to face the truth.
    I hate to agree but I agree. I saw Mary's death as also the death of the Supremes.

How can you be sure of this?. Proposed doesn’t mean is taking place. I particularly have serious doubts regarding Ross 78 being as it flopped upon original release.

How can you be sure of this?. Proposed doesn’t mean is taking place. I particularly have serious doubts regarding Ross 78 being as it flopped upon original release.
    i'm going off of my memory of the discussions on here and comments made by Andy and George. i could certainly be mistaken but i thought there had been comments that "oh we're hoping to have it ready to release by DATE" and that date not being particularly far out. so that would imply there had been considerable work completed

i'm going off of my memory of the discussions on here and comments made by Andy and George. i could certainly be mistaken but i thought there had been comments that "oh we're hoping to have it ready to release by DATE" and that date not being particularly far out. so that would imply there had been considerable work completed
    I recall them tempting us with "it's ready and soon" but I don't recall a definitive date. More like "we're aggravating our higher ups regularly for you".

if i were planning the set, i would use:

Disc 1
    Tracks 1 - 24 Stereo and Mono versions of the album
    remaining 5 or so disc 1 tracks would include the unedited original version of Reflections and other alt versions.

Disc 2
    Disney album and i think there are about 14 or so songs known to have been recorded
    Alt version of Talk of the Town. adding Unchained Melody back into the Symphony medley, adding back in the various dialog and monologs and Cindy's comedy lines in You're Nobody, adding back in the Sam Cooke medley.

"Reflections" is Diana, Mary and Marlene.

Today was the release of The Beatles "last" song which is getting a lot of attention. I understand the global phenomena the band was, but I just hate how Motown, which the definition of popular American music of the 1960s and the pushback against the British Invasion, is swept to the side in comparison to them and just about every other major band that arose in that era. I don't know if the problem has been the industry, the public, Motown and Universal for not actively keeping the legacy in people's faces for all these years, but it's just a f*cking shame how we can't even get digital releases of the catalog other than 329th reissue of Marvin's What's Going On meanwhile The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones get these expansive reissues of their catalog in digital, CD, vinyl, cassette, 8-track, wax cylinder phonograph, etc. formats.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I don't know if the problem has been the industry, the public, Motown and Universal for not actively keeping the legacy in people's faces for all these years,
    Honestly Brad, I think it's all those things and more. I've previously detailed my thoughts about why the Supremes in particular seem to get treated less than their place in music history deserves, and I'm not in the mood to rehash it yet again. I will add, regarding Marvin, that WGO and LGIO have remained such popular albums that any company worth its salt would milk it until it was dry. They keep re-releasing it because people keep buying it. Can't hardly fault Universal for that, or the public either, since both are excellent albums. Focusing on the Supremes, the closest they come to albums that continue to resonate with the public is WDOLG and Greatest Hits, maybe A Go-Go, and I still don't think anyone would mention any of those three in the same breath as What's Going On.

I also think it's important to point out that the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones continued to tour beyond their "heyday" [[and in the case of the BBs, ended up with a huge hit decades after their first). It's possible that in the case of the Supremes, that if Diana had periodically gotten with Mary and Cindy long before the dreaded "initials tour" to tour, that it might have helped keep the group's music and story in a brighter light. It's unfortunate that the music and the talent of the Supremes is largely secondary to the gossip and the glamour image, which has reduced them to catty women who liked dressing up, rather than the serious vocalists that they were.

But it is a fact that Motown doesn't get treated as a whole the way that it should. The Funks alone should be part of any discussion regarding the greatest bands that ever existed.

my guess is that motown was focusing on profit. they were not necessarily looking to create timeless art. Brian Wilson and John and Paul were more focused on artistic expression. this isn't to lessen to huge contributions that motown made to music. it's just that in the eyes of "serious music aficionados" motown albums are lacking because they just a way to make a buck. and they weren't being used to make a statement.

now clearly i think we here have some different opinions on the matter

the truth is motown DID create timeless product even if that wasn't their initial intent. If any top artist today released as flawless and ambitious of a product as The Supremes Sign Rodgers & Hart, it would be showered with grammy nominations and wins. same with set like What's Going On, The Boss, Still Water and many others.

motown's memory/legacy has been marred by their "selling out" to white music and to white audiences. that motown and it's artists were pandering to their Copa audiences and somehow denying their authentic selves

again, the truth is very different

mary's comment in her book is very appropriate. when the sups were criticized and told to "get back to the church baby.' as if the only music blacks could/should sing is soul music. and how this is actually reverse discrimination. she makes an excellent point

as more traditional "black" music entered the mainstream in the later 60s and 70s, it shouldn't be that it replaces motown music but expands it. again, black performers and artists should be able to perform any and every time of music. i think Aretha's gospel inspired version of Bridge Over Troubled Water is excellent. and it think the Sups do an outstanding job [[maybe dropping the fog horn lol) with theirs. Aretha took an already wonderful song and reimagined it in her style. great! the sups took this wonderful song and reinterpreted in THEIR style. while someone can prefer one to the other, both are successful remakes of it because both focus on re-interpreting a song in their own signature sound.

I also remember hearing this too! It sounded like there was going to be a lot of unreleased songs added. I was really looking forward to Ross 78 expanded.

Since it was mentioned above, Now And Then, the last Beatles song, is wonderful. John Lennon’s voice sounds clear as a bell. It is a rather sad song and very melodic. A perfect song, production, and performance to bring in old and new audiences to appreciate their greatness.

The Supremes should be given a gorgeous reminder of their brilliance. Who needs a whole album, give us just one such gem !!!!
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-02-2023 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Since it was mentioned above, Now And Then, the last Beatles song, is wonderful. John Lennon’s voice sounds clear as a bell. It is a rather sad song and very melodic. A perfect song, production, and performance to bring in old and new audiences to appreciate their greatness.

The Supremes should be given a gorgeous reminder of their brilliance. Who needs a whole album, give us just one such gem !!!!
    It's a nice song, but definitely not perfect or wonderful. If anything it's a sad reminder that we can't go back. Far from "The Long And Winding Road" and "Let It Be," the issue with it is that it doesn't sound like The Beatles. Several friends of mine, many who are die-hard Beatles fans, have stated they were let down by the expectations. It has no hook and just plods along without going anywhere. But knowing the public and critics they think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Heaven forbid we criticize them.

Sorry, but it was best to leave The Beatles in the past and that song proved it.

"Reflections" is Diana, Mary and Marlene.

Today was the release of The Beatles "last" song which is getting a lot of attention. I understand the global phenomena the band was, but I just hate how Motown, which the definition of popular American music of the 1960s and the pushback against the British Invasion, is swept to the side in comparison to them and just about every other major band that arose in that era. I don't know if the problem has been the industry, the public, Motown and Universal for not actively keeping the legacy in people's faces for all these years, but it's just a f*cking shame how we can't even get digital releases of the catalog other than 329th reissue of Marvin's What's Going On meanwhile The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones get these expansive reissues of their catalog in digital, CD, vinyl, cassette, 8-track, wax cylinder phonograph, etc. formats.
    Motown is certainly to blame. I'd said Diana being dismissive of the legacy of the Supremes hasn't helped.

As pointed out also, several of the Supremes albums contained a few hits and the rest were filler. A Go Go is a good example of this. The WDOLG and Love Child albums are probably the best albums the group released. I'd throw Rodgers and Hart in there too.

It's a nice song, but definitely not perfect or wonderful. If anything it's a sad reminder that we can't go back. Far from "The Long And Winding Road" and "Let It Be," the issue with it is that it doesn't sound like The Beatles. Several friends of mine, many who are die-hard Beatles fans, have stated they were let down by the expectations. It has no hook and just plods along without going anywhere. But knowing the public and critics they think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Heaven forbid we criticize them.

Sorry, but it was best to leave The Beatles in the past and that song proved it.
    wow, interesting take …. The comments on the YouTube video are the opposite of yours. I don’t hear any plotting along in the song. I really like it. I am also happy it is John’s voice and not Paul’s. I usually don’t like Paul’s voice.

I hope everyone checks it out this historic release only made possible by new technology.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-03-2023 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Motown is certainly to blame. I'd said Diana being dismissive of the legacy of the Supremes hasn't helped.

As pointed out also, several of the Supremes albums contained a few hits and the rest were filler. A Go Go is a good example of this. The WDOLG and Love Child albums are probably the best albums the group released. I'd throw Rodgers and Hart in there too.
    i think that's a bit harsh of a critique of Diana and her memories and approach to the supremes.

while i don't know diana personally, my take on it is that she doesn't dwell on the past. some people really fawn over memories and sentimentality. people that have boxes of old greeting cards from years and years. people that save everything associated with family members and all. Other people are more detached to the past. it's not that they don't care of the people or the memories. it's just that they have a different perspective of things

IMO Diana is more the later.

also the supremes era had a wonderful sheen to it for the public and fans that concealed a rather dark underbelly. by all accounts, these years were horrifically stressful for the participants, insane schedules and work, painful memories of the interpersonal relationships within the group. typically when people look back, they focus on the happy times, which i don't think we can classify the Sups years as happy

also her career encompasses so much work and music. if she was to really do a concert that was a proper tribute to her career, it would be about 5 hours long lol. sure WE crazy fans would love it. but that's a bit much lol. she has to pick and choose what material to present

another point is that when she went solo in 70, she clearly handed the baton to Mary to run the group. and diana was very supportive of the group and wanted them to succeed. she wasn't personally plotting to undermine their success. but she was very busy with her own life, career, family. Mary took that baton and sort of became the defacto leader and preservationist for the group. diana seems to have avoided jumping into this because she knows her public image would swamp mary's.