[REMOVE ADS]

MegaChurches, TV Preachers, Truthtellers and Hucksters.

Speaking for myself there are times I listen to Fred Price, Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen etc. I used to go over the net and see what people thought about some of these speakers, teachers, prophets,apostles whatever you want to call them. When I was going through a hard time physically 12 years ago I had a slow healing. One of these ministries [[actually 2) sent me free books and tapes and I slowly got well. I am not here to bash anyones faith, religion or belief but I am curious as to what some of you think about some of these people. Personally there are some who stick to scripture, some put in their own opinions or anecdotes but the bottom line is I think you have to listen to who works for you. For those who go to local churches and listen in addition I think that is fine too. I trust the opinions of SDF and would rather get it here in the clubhouse than some religious forum. Whether or not you are COGIC, Word of Faith, Catholic, Baptist bring on your opinions. If you are an atheist or dont believe in Christ I would welcome your opinion as well but I promise you I will not try to convert anyone that is on you. I dont believe there is one right religion but I do believe there is only one way and that is me speaking for myself. If it helps any I was raised as a Catholic but I dont go to confession anymore. My beliefs now sway more towards the non denominational doctrine so you know where I am coming from. I do like the Catholic channel at times and for those who are wondering do I attend church yes from time to time but I dont drive so there you have it. Do you think the tv preachers have a place to get the gospel out or do you think they are hucksters or you dont watch at all. All opinions welcomed.

yeah you ever noticed that either the back or front of the books,vids there is which credit cards are accepted.
    the more you give the quicker your problems disappear.they do 'cos you got so much debt you forget about everything else!

I used to watch Fred Price back on an L.A. tv station in the 70s, but since I realized that he, and all those other mega-churches are nothing but money machines, I avoid them.

I've seen people give millions to these hucksters and these churches never give anything back!

It's all about the money! Ain't a damn thing funny!
    Last edited by soulster; 02-13-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Most of these TV preachers and mega church leaders would do well to head the word of Hebrews.

"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, I will never leave you nor forsake you”

But, money speaks louder than words. Money talks, bullshit walks!

i have seen money being given by churches, helped with buying cars,paid rent etc.but not these multi nationals that you're talking about.

soulster,that line from from carwash,that was a good skit on those theives.richard pryior,funny as hell!
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-14-2011 at 11:10 AM.

creflo dollar..Isnt that just a great start

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    yeah you ever noticed that either the back or front of the books,vids there is which credit cards are accepted.
    The more you give the quicker your problems disappear.they do 'cos you got so much debt you forget about everything else!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...classic,but true!!

There are thousands of truly committed, hard working, wonderful clergy in every City and Town - but they are not the people you see on TV or hear about in the newspapers; they do their work quietly without bravado and they should be singled out for recognition as much as possible.

The world does not need more hucksters, more grandstanding ministers, more church officials protecting pedophiles nor does any Church need these people.

well said jobeterob,it isnt the multi national tv bible bashers.the grass roots church does work.gotta be careful,be able to work out, who is telling the truth.the normal church is ok [[you must discern)anything web shaped,dvd,video i'd leave it they're fishing,no pun intended.i've seen more rip offs in god's word than street crime.seriously

Wow these responses are interesting. I was hoping that many of you would bring up the work that the local church is doing and its so true. One thing that broke my heart is that there is one church in this area [[membership about 10,000) who was giving out turkeys on thanksgiving to those who didnt have any or could not afford it. A neighbor of mine took a young lady there who has no job and is staying with someone so they made them write their name down, said a prayer and told them to write down their phone numbers and addresses [[you had to do this in order to get the turkey). What I found out later was in essence what they were doing was creating a mailing list to get new members! This place is already huge and most of the people coming couldnt afford to give 20.00 so i dont know why they did this.

These food banks are like an underground movement if you tell one person 100 will find out. If you notice they dont give out canned food anymore only onions, cabbage, potatoes and candybars. I see many Hispanics who truly need this stuff and they will stand in line for hours and wait. Its sad to me they dont give out canned food anymore. Also I will say TBN, Daystar, Harvest, God TV I like Daystar and Harvest. I have seen so many hucksters on TBN its unreal. I got interested in seeing what was out there because when I was channel surfing I would see Clifton Davis and people I had encountered on secular tv. I was surfing two weeks ago and saw Tommy James from the Shondells! People are giving testimonies which is great but a lot of them are selling their wares on the shows and tapping into the christian market now.

I really like Joyce Meyer. I listen/watch her whenever I get the chance.

Carlo,
    I like Ms Meyer too I think she is real. HER ministry was one of two that gave me free tapes when I couldnt afford it when I had my accident.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Wow these responses are interesting. I was hoping that many of you would bring up the work that the local church is doing and its so true. One thing that broke my heart is that there is one church in this area [[membership about 10,000) who was giving out turkeys on thanksgiving to those who didnt have any or could not afford it. A neighbor of mine took a young lady there who has no job and is staying with someone so they made them write their name down, said a prayer and told them to write down their phone numbers and addresses [[you had to do this in order to get the turkey). What I found out later was in essence what they were doing was creating a mailing list to get new members! This place is already huge and most of the people coming couldnt afford to give 20.00 so i dont know why they did this.

These food banks are like an underground movement if you tell one person 100 will find out. If you notice they dont give out canned food anymore only onions, cabbage, potatoes and candybars. I see many Hispanics who truly need this stuff and they will stand in line for hours and wait. Its sad to me they dont give out canned food anymore. Also I will say TBN, Daystar, Harvest, God TV I like Daystar and Harvest. I have seen so many hucksters on TBN its unreal. I got interested in seeing what was out there because when I was channel surfing I would see Clifton Davis and people I had encountered on secular tv. I was surfing two weeks ago and saw Tommy James from the Shondells! People are giving testimonies which is great but a lot of them are selling their wares on the shows and tapping into the christian market now.
    My former church is a food bank and we had to write down the name and social security numbers of the people in order to participate in NYC food bank program. They wanted an account that the food is going to the people and not the church to sell. We never use the list to proselytize. Nevertheless, if someone showed up without a social security number, we still gave them food.