[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I remember seeing a Bobby Brown show in the '80s. He was the headliner although I preferred other acts on the lineup [[Brick, Michael Henderson, Zapp). Brown put on a good show but I left dissatisfied because he only performed for about 30-40 minutes and didn't even sing all of the songs on his album that I liked. I know he only had two records up until that point, but if he was on top of a card of seasoned musical vets, I'd have appreciated him taking the show over the top. Of course, nobody can really do that following a Roger Troutman show but still...

With that said, back then he definitely had energy and the crowd got into it. In my personal opinion, he got off to a great start so early in his career and didn't build on it. I couldn't care much less about the drama off the stage because we all have drama and none of us should cast rocks.

That's not an excuse for being a prick and judged by your actions, though. If I had first hand experience with him like Bluebrock, I'd feel exactly the same way.
    I agree Jerry and there is an interview where Bobby complains that he was only given 25 mins for his segment of a concert when he wanted more time to entertain "the people". He love being onstage. I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!
    Soooooo...having said that, what do you think of R. Kelly?

I agree Jerry and there is an interview where Bobby complains that he was only given 25 mins for his segment of a concert when he wanted more time to entertain "the people". He love being onstage. I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!
    Teddy Pendergrass grew up in a rough area of North Philly. He didn't do nearly half the stuff Bobby did but that may be because he was raised in a God-fearing Christian household. That would make a difference between how he turned out and how Bobby who grew up in Roxbury turned out. Think his parents were religious too but they were too lenient on their kids. Would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Teddy Pendergrass grew up in a rough area of North Philly. He didn't do nearly half the stuff Bobby did but that may be because he was raised in a God-fearing Christian household. That would make a difference between how he turned out and how Bobby who grew up in Roxbury turned out. Think his parents were religious too but they were too lenient on their kids. Would explain a lot.
    I know, I use to live Philly. Teddy took my friend Beverly to her senior prom in 1967. Yeah, Teddy was a mama's boy, a church boy when he was a kid. He got into things as he got older....we all did. I don't recall hearing that Bobby Brown's parents were that religious, I do know from meeting people when I lived in Boston that knew Bobby and the guys that they were partially raised by the streets! One night while I was still living there, Bobby and his soon to be brother in law were at the bar Barritz [[sp?). They got involved in a fight and a shoot out ensued. The brother in law was killed!

I know, I use to live Philly. Teddy took my friend Beverly to her senior prom in 1967. Yeah, Teddy was a mama's boy, a church boy when he was a kid. He got into things as he got older....we all did. I don't recall hearing that Bobby Brown's parents were that religious, I do know from meeting people when I lived in Boston that knew Bobby and the guys that they were partially raised by the streets! One night while I was still living there, Bobby and his soon to be brother in law were at the bar Barritz [[sp?). They got involved in a fight and a shoot out ensued. The brother in law was killed!
    Well Whitney mentioned his parents went to church saying they were as God-fearing as her parents. LOL

I think she was only saying that so people can stop acting like they were so different but truth was there were subtle differences. Some members of Whitney's family were PROFESSIONAL gospel singers and Bobby's family as you mentioned, ran the streets. BIG difference lol

Well Whitney mentioned his parents went to church saying they were as God-fearing as her parents. LOL

I think she was only saying that so people can stop acting like they were so different but truth was there were subtle differences. Some members of Whitney's family were PROFESSIONAL gospel singers and Bobby's family as you mentioned, ran the streets. BIG difference lol
    I really don't know much about Bobby's family. I do know the area he came up in was rough! I went everywhere around Boston and nothing shocked me, even the very racist South Boston. I remember for 2 solid weeks, I did not see one black person walking anywhere in Downtown Boston and then at the end of the 2nd week, I saw this kid come up out of the MTA with some other kids and he was black. LOL!

Actually, it wouldn't. Growing up religious , and leniency on your kids is not a factor. In fact, the opposite may be more true because children rebel. Back when I was a kid, the worst kids had parents who were ministers and law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Actually, it wouldn't. Growing up religious , and leniency on your kids is not a factor. In fact, the opposite may be more true because children rebel. Back when I was a kid, the worst kids had parents who were ministers and law enforcement.
    Now that's true. Remember "the son of a preacher man" LOL!