You guys have me howling with laughter!!!. I have to agree that album wasn't one if his best, but I understand why it came out that way. When most of these songs were conceived, Curtis was experiencing a short depression. The content of the songs are probably more serious than ever. The brother was always deep,but he had a real Spike Lee moment here. But as opposed to Spike paying for it at the box office,Curt paid for it in record sales. It's one of those albums where you have to actually be in that mood to listen to it. Songs like "Jesus" and "When Seasons Change" and "Blue Monday People" are just too heavy. "Billy Jack" struck me as a song with a good story that took forever to tell. The song just drags with Curtis taking his sweet time LOL!. Lack of chord changes or real melody on the track doesn't help either. Low point for the Gentle Genius.

In retrospect, I like to say Curtis had the same struggle Smokey had in the 70's, Quantity Over Quality. Since those were the soul poets of our time I put them together in that respect. It seems that they released records just to keep their name out there as opposed to giving fans greatness every time. Even if they had to take more time off than usual to get a project there,they didn't, they just kept throwing them out there to dismal sales. Smokey lasted a hell of a lot longer, but they made the same mistake.