[REMOVE ADS]

The Ambassadors / Tammi Terrell Connection

I was an Ambassadors fan back in the 60's. They were local favorites who ranked close to the Temps for me and several of my friends back when we used to catch them 'live' at the shows. Lot of nice tunes from them. I've come to know a couple of the guys through the years. One of them has been a close friend for many years now.

Even he hasn't heard this song in a l-o-n-g time and recently asked me to help him to get a copy. He'll be real happy when I call him about this in a few minutes. Like me he's a lover of Tammi Terrell's music. His group released this as a tribute back in 1969. It was the flipside of their biggest song, 'I Really Love You".

Check it out for a nice surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGPEdDjYqdg

I like it positivesoul

It's got a lot going on but it's different enough and they added their own stamp. I am keeping a copy of the video.

Excellent vocals too.

Postivesoul

The Ambassadors are new to me. I been cheking them out I was so impressed with the one above

check this one out...and you can see an album from the group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4sdW...eature=related

I know this one by Dee Dee Sharp.

I am looking out for an Ambassadors cd now.

Thanks for starting this thread.

theboyfromxtown:
    Truly my pleasure. I just got off the phone with my buddy. He was really glad to hear this. Next weekend he and his wife will join mine and me at my house for dinner and their much anticipated chance to hear hear Tammi's 'Come On & See Me" Solo set from start to finish. They're both a lot of fun so we can't wait!

Positivesoul

Excellent choice, as The Ambassadors are truly an underappreciated group.

My favorite is 'I Ain't Got The Love' & their 1969 LP 'Soul Summit' is a pretty good outing. I also like their medley 'Yes I'm Ready'/'I'll Try Something New',as well as 'Ain't No Sun [[Since You Been Gone)'. I know a few folks into the Northern Soul set who absolutely love 'Happiness'.

What's become of all of the guys & are any of them still performing these days?

Postive soul......I have just bought their cd from amazon uk.

Juice....I'm a bit late with this one......but I will catch you up now I have this album. Pretty excited about it too. Those tracks on youtube were really good

Yes juice and theboy... they were a great group... very energetic on stage too! The lead singer, Hurley Johnson, still performs with a his own group these days. I heard they're really good and I intend to book them for a nice oldeies show before too long.

I know a nice group that would go very nicely on your oldies show......a female group who performed in Philly a few times. The Velvelettes.....you surely heard of them!

tboy... Very interesting thought. Do you have contact info for their agent or for them?

That's me!

honest man Guest
    John the ambassadors cd is brilliant i have had for long time,you will enjoy it, mind you you still have not told me what you thought of my last recommendation, ha, great choice mate.

Honestman..why didn't you tell me to buy it at Prestatyn! LOL

I am struggling with emails and have been since Prestatyn. I get in trouble with everyone. I try but I can't keep up. Work gets in the way, and the annual tax return fever knocked me for six!

Meanwhile, check out that Soul and Motown show...it's great.

honest man Guest
    John talking of emails cheers mate

positivesoul....thanks for posting this! I always love to hear "alternate" versions. And a Tammi connection too!! Stay well, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    positivesoul....thanks for posting this! I always love to hear "alternate" versions. And a Tammi connection too!! Stay well, my friend!

I thought the group's version of "...Can't Believe..." was interesting, but overall I'm not feeling the Ambassadors. Vocally they weren't tight enough for my tastes. I listened to sound samples too on Amazon, but I was less than impressed. I must be missing something. Maybe I need to hear some more.

Motown-1056.

I dont think you are are missing anything.....it is what it is. We're all different and we don't all like the same. But at least you gave the Ambassadors a listen and I am sure they will be happy that you did.

midnight johnny... friend indeed. Great to see you onboard.
    honest man... i definitely feel you.
    Motown_M... I feel you too cause I don't like everything either! I think theboy expresses my sentiments well tho.
    theboy... reach out to me: randy_brown602@yahoo.com

John:

Your excellent taste is showing here!

Positivesoul:

Thanks for the info about Herley. That's very nie to hear! As for The Velvelettes, they've still got it & would be more than entertaining. They were excellent when they appeared here in N.Y. last summer.

Positivesoul:

I hope that this won't sound crazy, but have you a onnection with the great song, 'We Oughta Be Doin' It'?

Nice to hear the ambassadors talked about,i ain't got the love is also my fav from them..good group!

Videos of the Ambassadors performing - choreography is VERY intricate!

We Got Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiIlF3x4gak

Really Love You http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfnmeJaG4Lc

Herley Johnson jr went on to Creme d'Cocoa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f558sbbSqng

and then a track under the name Jay Novelle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotsXRqHOd4
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 09-30-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Hey mike,nice cover from the guys and while we're on the subject,do you know where i might find a copy of thier classic[i ain't got the love-artic 1969]?i've been trying to find it for years thanks!!

Hi, here are your options :

Amazon or iTunes mp3 89 cents
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...t+got+the+love

Album $6.99
    http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Summit-Am...9017955&sr=8-3

vinyl single dusty grooves $59 and up plus shipping
    http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?q=A...+Mind%29&ev=is

All of the Ambassadors Arctic cuts will be released on the big Arctic Records box set of CD's in a few weeks time [[this box set will include some previously unreleased tracks but don't know if there will be any from the Ambassadors).

Wow! This took me back to the days when one could get a hoagie , fries and a fruit punch soda for less than $3.00. I never saw the clips from the Hy Lit show before, but I Really Love You, and We Got Love are two killer songs. Also the thread starter is one baaaddd track as well. Thank you for posting, there is an Ambassadors fan in upstate NY!