[REMOVE ADS]

miss_lish Guest

GIT on Broadway!! DRATS & The Temptations [[Opening Sequence)

I never really liked the idea of this special. The focus was way too much on Diana and it just doesn't flow like TCB did. Personally, I think they should have shaped GIT just like TCB where the focus should have been on the songs from their two albums together rather than sing these Broadway tunes. I would much rather have seen the Supremes and the Temptations do live versions of "Why [[Must We Fall In Love)" and "I'll Try Something New" over those corny Broadway sketches and 10 minute Diana Leading Lady montage.

miss_lish Guest
    The ONLY reason to watch this show was The Leading Lady medley; however, this show didn't work. The choreography was off and the sketches were silly. Miss Ross stole the show with that medley tho.

Suckage of the first order. And the biggest disservice was that this vegasy, lounge lizard, schmaltzy crap really diminished the impact and importance of their records. Berry's idea of what meant long term success was outdated, and this special shows that. It's almost as if the songs they recorded weren't good enough for this special.... when in reality, this special wasn't good enough for them.

I remember the Dutch Motown office sent a request to Detroit to send a trailer for GIT to Holland, because one of the big tv companies [[don't remember which one, probably the AVRO) said they were interested to air the show.
    Instead, Detroit sent us a b/w copy of the whole show. We complained, but got nowhere. We were flabbergasted about so much desinterest.
    Hence, the tv company lost its interest and the show didn't air in Holland.
    A good thing, in hindsight?

Robbert

No.....it's not a good thing........I have still to see a first generation copy.

And it looks like I have to go to that Paley Theatre to see it.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Suckage of the first order. And the biggest disservice was that this vegasy, lounge lizard, schmaltzy crap really diminished the impact and importance of their records. Berry's idea of what meant long term success was outdated, and this special shows that. It's almost as if the songs they recorded weren't good enough for this special.... when in reality, this special wasn't good enough for them.
    I agree...you can tell The Temptations in particular seem embarrassed by it all.

WOW, this is history being made here and there is Paul Williams !!! There were a lot of personalities with this special I thought. Mary had a lot of energy throughout this whole show. Dennis was so soulful even with the show tunes but everytime I saw Melvin I thought he was going to bust out laughing, but I know that was just part of his persona. I agree that Diana was awesome in that Leading Lady melody but there was a song that the Temptations did called "If I was a Rich Man" or something like that which I thought was awesome. Motown was moving a bit too fast around this time I think it was under a crunch deadline or committments had been made and obligations had to be filled. Things turned out for the best I guess but when I see shows like this I wish my girls and the Tempts were still around. There has to be a song somewhere called I wanna go back to that day because these are feel good moments.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    "Suckage of the first order". I LOVE it!

I wonder what demographic this "special" was geared to? Here you have two of the biggest acts in the business and they're running around on stage singing Broadway showtunes. Gag me.

Having these groups jump around like mounties, etc. was silly. It didn't come across as natural. Doing some of the
    Broadway tunes in their respective acts did work at times, but the overall impact of this show was corny, I thought.
    And as stated, the focus was totally on Diana.

topdiva1 Guest
    But it is still being talked about - and that is what moves a legend forward - the good, the bad, and the awful - all elements of creating longevity for stars.

Gordy wanted Broadway for Diana Ross - and showcased her very well in this special. It was not geared to make The Supremes or The Temptations any bigger than they were at the time. GIT on Broadway was a special to show what Diana Ross could do, and to help make her bankable as a solo artist.

You know what - it worked.

And you know what TopDiva ? Your right again !!

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    But it is still being talked about - and that is what moves a legend forward - the good, the bad, and the awful - all elements of creating longevity for stars.

Gordy wanted Broadway for Diana Ross - and showcased her very well in this special. It was not geared to make The Supremes or The Temptations any bigger than they were at the time. GIT on Broadway was a special to show what Diana Ross could do, and to help make her bankable as a solo artist.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post

Ross was brilliant in Cats, the late 90's revival of Kiss Me Kate and the more recent revival of A Little Night Music.

honest man Guest
    well i loved it ,might be cheesy-corny, whatever you call it, i have a copy love it ,will have to do till the powers that be get their finger out, a read feelgood show, just for the end performance of DRATS-TEMPTS LET THE SUNSHINE this clip has got to be in my top 3performances visual and audio, love it.