[REMOVE ADS]

A Rave Review For Diana Ross At Ravinia

Thanks

The usual - always raves and close to the same show

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Thanks

The usual - always raves and close to the same show
    Right?! I've been looking for box office to see if it was a sellout show, as usual.

It appeared sold out, but it did not say it anywhere. There was no line at the ticket office when we got there, but it was cold and overcast with rain forecast so I doubt too many people were deciding to come last minute. It was so cold that Diana was wearing two dressses, two wraps and gloves when she entered - Jesse Jackson was brought a blanket half way through it and he was in the pavilion!

The show was great:

I’m coming out,
    my world is empty without you,
    where did our love go,
    baby love,
    stop in the name of love,
    come see about me,
    you can’t hurry love,
    touch me in the morning,
    love child,
    the boss,
    it’s my house,
    upside down ,
    Love hangover, take me higher, ease on down,
    the look of love,
    don’t explain,
    why do fools fall in love,
    theme from mahogany,
    ain’t no mountain high enough,
    I will survive,
    reach out and touch.

So, a few changes within the parameters of the last 8 years, set wise.
    SHE looks amazing: svelt and sassy - and in great voice - just how I like her. I imitated her hunched shoulder Supremes schtick and she did it back at me and laughed. The band was small, but the sound was ok Except her microphone Wasn’t working for half of I’m coming out but we could hear her very well in the fourth row without her microphone and she sounded great! She was freezing cold and was wearing one dress on top of another trying to stay warm. She was even wearing gloves and towards the end of the supreme segment she started to take them off but she was having a very hard time getting them to come off and that was funny to watch…… She brought a guy up stage to dance during I will survive and was in a great mood…… She should be because if it did sell out she made over 1 million dollars last night!
    Diana ross is in fantastic Form!

Great to read, thanks MotownManiac!!

Wonderful review, TheMotownManiac! I, too, have had the honor of Miss Ross mimicking my moves at a show. The woman, as the critic [[Pauline Kael?) famously said, is indeed “part geisha, part guts, ALL radar.” She’s such a superb entertainer that she seemingly zeroes in on everyone in her immediate eye range. Nobody quite like her.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wonderful review, TheMotownManiac! I, too, have had the honor of Miss Ross mimicking my moves at a show. The woman, as the critic [[Pauline Kael?) famously said, is indeed “part geisha, part guts, ALL radar.” She’s such a superb entertainer that she seemingly zeroes in on everyone in her immediate eye range. Nobody quite like her.
    And, according to Kael, 'A funky tornado' !

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    The show was great:

I’m coming out,
    my world is empty without you,
    where did our love go,
    baby love,
    stop in the name of love,
    come see about me,
    you can’t hurry love,
    touch me in the morning,
    love child,
    the boss,
    it’s my house,
    upside down ,
    Love hangover, take me higher, ease on down,
    the look of love,
    don’t explain,
    why do fools fall in love,
    theme from mahogany,
    ain’t no mountain high enough,
    I will survive,
    reach out and touch.

So, a few changes within the parameters of the last 8 years, set wise.
    SHE looks amazing: svelt and sassy - and in great voice - just how I like her. I imitated her hunched shoulder Supremes schtick and she did it back at me and laughed. The band was small, but the sound was ok Except her microphone Wasn’t working for half of I’m coming out but we could hear her very well in the fourth row without her microphone and she sounded great! She was freezing cold and was wearing one dress on top of another trying to stay warm. She was even wearing gloves and towards the end of the supreme segment she started to take them off but she was having a very hard time getting them to come off and that was funny to watch…… She brought a guy up stage to dance during I will survive and was in a great mood…… She should be because if it did sell out she made over 1 million dollars last night!
    Diana ross is in fantastic Form!
    Wonderful - glad you had such a great time. I was wondering about the climate so early in the season. Guess our girl gave her all anyway, as she always does.

What an amazing body of work. Don't know how the reviewer can complain about two or three missing songs with this offering.

THE LOOK OF LOVE strikes me as a snoozer. Of ALL of music history's songs , to choose just one to cover, why this rather timid one?
    Perhaps the song has a special meaning to her?

I know Diana included it on a later lp.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-05-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    What an amazing body of work. Don't know how the reviewer can complain about two or three missing songs with this offering.

THE LOOK OF LOVE strikes me as a snoozer. Of ALL of music history's songs , to choose just one to cover, why this rather timid one?
    Perhaps the song has a special meaning to her?

I know Diana included it on a later lp.
    Put in someday or hangin on or mirror mirror

DMCFAN Guest
    I think she is stunningly beautiful vocally on The Look of Love. Not a fan of More Today Than Yesterday