[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

marvin and tammi on johnny carson

here you go,i dont know if this is on already on sdf somewhere,enjoy it anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmUFDVv4sZQ

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post

Thanks for this Tamla, it's great to see Marvin and Tammi singing "for real" !

honest man Guest
    Tamla ,thank you for the first clip. great to see, first time for me, thanks for the direction, much appreciated. cheers.

i hadnt seen the j carson clip before and guessed a few here hadnt either! esp us brits!

When I saw this, I thought there was some joke or gimmick, so I "knew" better than to possibly get my hopes up. Unbelievable!

tamla617... Very Grateful.

Their voices are great, as would be expected. The house band, while competent, sure makes me miss the inspired playing of the Funk Brothers!

Tamla.....thanks so much for posting this rare jewel....John

Outstanding and what a shame this has just surfaced in light of how well this would have fitted in with the DVD releases over the last couple of years.

However, we have it now!

Eamonn

At first, I thought this was going to be an audio-only clip, so I was more than pleasantly surprised. And it is good to know that this appearance wasn't erased or destroyed, as a lot of Carson 60s era was said to be.

Thanks for sharing I had never seen this before !!!!

I'd like to retract my earlier disappointment expressed concerning the [[likely Doc Severin) house band. I probably was just a bit surprised to hear the instrumentation style by someone other than the beloved Funk Bothers backing these two on that ultimate classic Motown song. After another listen, I think they were cookin!

tamla617... Very Grateful.

Their voices are great, as would be expected. The house band, while competent, sure makes me miss the inspired playing of the Funk Brothers!
    As I was watching the video the exact same thoughts crossed my mind.

Brilliant..Just Brilliant..Many Many Thanks for sharing..Paulo xxxx

miss_lish Guest
    Oh! This was good. GOOD GOOD. I couldn't stop smiling; that's how ya know. Couldn't take my eyes off of Miss Tammi either; girl had IT! Marvin? Just brilliant!

You've caused a very happy stir everywhere with this posting Tamla617....

Thanks go from a whole lot more people that are posting here!

Tamla617, thank you very much for this one. I can remember seeing still photos of this performance over the years. It was past my bedtime back when it originally aired. Thank so much.

Marv

Great stuff!!!

Tammi and her eyes cracked me up. What a great Motown find and nice to hear them live finally!

I remember watching this as a teenager; this was when The Tonight Show was still in New York. This might be the only clip of Tammi singing live. Absolutely priceless.

I remember seeing this too. I was in the 8th grade and falling asleep as I was so tired waiting up for them to come on.
    Real singers, real musicians--something we don't see much of anymore, especially on TV.

Does anyone know original airdate?

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Real singers, real musicians--something we don't see much of anymore, especially on TV.
    Randy, were all the performances on Johnny Carson's shows live ones ? And do you know if there are some DVD's around ?

miss_lish Guest
    The were all live performances, and they just released a retrospective from the show; it is not cheap.

Yes, as far as I know all the performances on Johnny Carson and also the Joey Bishop Show were done "live".

Thanks Randy and miss_lish. I checqued some DVD's on amazon and I think it was more a talk show than a musical, or am I wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Thanks Randy and miss_lish. I checqued some DVD's on amazon and I think it was more a talk show than a musical, or am I wrong ?
    Carson would have on everyone from singers, actors, and comedians to political figures, inventors, and animal acts. On his website, johnnycarson.com, there are some dvd collections for sale at. Most compilations of comedy material. But the latest set seems to be a set featuring several full episodes.
    Last edited by reese; 02-10-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Not that I am suggesting anything but when new Motown books were released, someone [[who I wont name) used to run to the library to make sure his name was first on the list of borrowers....

I understand library's do DVD's now!

Whoooooooooooooosh!

lol

Wonderful. Tammi almost steals it from Marvin. Sorry, I miss the Funks too. But these two are soooooooo great...

Yes I was amazed too. As someone said, we Brits didn't get the show. Seeing them after all this time, singing together, live and kicking it... simply fantastic

topdiva1 Guest
    Thanks for posting this gem!!!!

Over 800 views in just a couple of days! This one will quickly pass a million hits.

Thanks for this, I did'nt even know there was another performance of this besides the 2 performances of them on Video that I usually see of them singing this song.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    The were all live performances, and they just released a retrospective from the show; it is not cheap.
    Miss Lish will have to find herself a nice young man to buy it for her!

I'm not young so that excludes me! lol

i aint got the cash either/aswell!

miss_lish Guest
    Miss Lish found herself a nice young man, and the last thing that came had nothing to do with a Johnny Carson DVD. Just sayin'! ;o)

Well I hope it was gift wrapped. It's all about the element of surprise!

This was great! Now if only someone could find their performance from another TV show, and a clip of the two of them talking with Hugh Downs, who was the host.

Quote Originally Posted by dinelle_watson View Post
    This was great! Now if only someone could find their performance from another TV show, and a clip of the two of them talking with Hugh Downs, who was the host.
    Sounds like THE TODAY SHOW.

I thought so. I just wasn't sure. I mean, if there are pictures from this performance, then wouldn't someone have the entire clip somewhere?

THANKS YOU,THANKS YOU,THANKS YOU,This is the best,TAMLA617 You have made me,and a lot of MARVIN GAYE and TAMMI TERRELL fans,happy for posting this.
    Please stay positive

thanks back!this is what this forum is about,finding and putting it out for the others to enjoy!looks like they did too.
    i spend ages trawling other forums,youtube etc. and its like panning for gold nuggets,there aint many,but what there is, are priceless.
    this one,i wasnt sure if it was on here somewhere,i hadnt seen it anyway.really glad i did in the end.
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-14-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dinelle_watson View Post
    I thought so. I just wasn't sure. I mean, if there are pictures from this performance, then wouldn't someone have the entire clip somewhere?
    It could be in the TODAY show archives.

I have read that many shows back then either taped over episodes so that they wouldn't have to spend money on new tape stock, or just threw shows away. Of course, the same was said of THE TONIGHT SHOW, so who knows?

I bet Mr Gordy has a copy and more besides.....

Oh how it must be, to be a fly on the wall!!

watch out for the swatter! boy from xtown!

i assume this tape was kept.look at the quality.must be of industry standard.not a home recording.

It was said that many 60s era TONIGHT SHOWs were either wiped, or only survived on Emmy submission reels. Even when his show had anniversary retrospectives, they showed very few clips from the 60s. So the Marvin/Tammi clip is a rare treat.

Johnny Carson kept most of his show masters in a temperature controlled vault. Not too long ago, one used to be able to go to his website, and search the log for episodes. If they still had it, they would make a VHS copy for a ridiculous amount. I think it was $100. That service didn't last too long.

lol reese 100 bucks,cant see the problem!

Seriously, if I was able to buy a legitimate copy of TCB or GIT or Diana's TV show for $100. I would pay it and judging by what I have seen my mates pay for Supremes or Three Degrees material on VHS, I know there are lots of people who would do the same.

If I had known I could have bought that Marvin & Tammi episode and be able to watch as I can now [[on Youtube) for $100, I would have bought it.

Marvin and Tammi also performed "Aint No Mountain" on a mid 67 show called "Upbeat" dont know if that still exists and in mid 68 they sang it on a show called "Hy Lite" again,no more information about this apperance has come to light so that makes it about five times they performed Mountain on tv right ?