Hi gang, I love the Supremes so much, and they ignited my lifelong dream of being a good singer/songwriter. I really love listening to the lyrics of the songs Smokey and HDH wrote and I would say they are my favourite songwriters.

HDH I find especially interesting because they put serious thought into who they were writing for and its lovely seeing how they refined the raw vocal talent of Diana, Mary and Florence by making songs that were fun to sing, easy to pick up, but are able to imbue deeply complex metaphors and heartbreaking/complicated subject matter by making the verses almost have a nursery rhyme structure to them. It's a wonderful fusion of really complex subject matter with song and verse structure that is truly elegant in its simplicity.

My favourite HDH song is Send me no Flowers. I love that song: it makes me think of the boy I once loved very deeply but broke my heart in a horrible, cowardly way when I was at my lowest. Diana's voice is haunting here. I am working on a cover of it to sing at a talent show, and I am adding additional lyrics:

You send red roses because the price is right

But my favourites are pink, orange and white

I also changed "get well card" to "store bought card".

I think Send me no Flowers is a gorgeous song and one of the girls's bests as well as one of HDH's best and it should not have been shelved. I think my absolute absolute supreme favourite record in my collection is the A side of the 3rd record in the 25th anniversery boxset: I love love love love LOVE Ooowee Baby, Send me no Flowers, Treat me Right John Henry and Are You Sure Love is the Name of This Game.