[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    So, shall we just accept it? No. We counter it with facts. They repeat lies long enough that people believe them. So, all we have to do is repeat the truth and back it up with historical evidence.
    No! Never accept it! In 100 years they will have Aretha Franklin being a white female Country singer in the history books! I always correct people especially in regards to this subject whenever I hear the "mistake".

You know the "Temptations" movie? So many younger people believe they now know everything about the Temptations because of that movie. It in many ways have kept the group and it's legacy relevant, even if it is not completely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Listen to:

"Try Me"
    "Bewildered"
    "Prisoner of Love"
    "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

For starters to give you a better understanding of the versatility of James Brown and his music. He truly was one of the great ones and pioneered several music genres!
    Or my favorite James Brown song "It was you".

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Or my favorite James Brown song "It was you".
    Good one. You know James Brown could to more than just grunt.

Good one. You know James Brown could to more than just grunt.
    So true. He has many classics.

Here Is one of my favorites for those who haven't heard this great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X9T_i4LvI

Here to keep it "Motown" LOL! James Brown and Martha Reeves!

Last edited by marv2; 05-22-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    So true. He has many classics.

Here Is one of my favorites for those who haven't heard this great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X9T_i4LvI

Wasn't this cut used in a movie? It seems I heard it in a film. Still it shows James Brown was multi-dimensional and I appreciate his work.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I was listening to the NBC-10 Philadelphia news broadcast this morning when the news anchor reported to the public how "THE MOTOWN SONG STAND BY ME" was featured in the royal wedding yesterday.

News to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He could have at least mentioned Ben E. King's name even if the totally got the label wrong.

If you want some more pop-ish James Brown music [[for mysterysinger ), I'd probably go with his 1979 The Original Disco Man album. Here's my favourite track from that one... some funky disco... a very fun song

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    If you want some more pop-ish James Brown music [[for mysterysinger ), I'd probably go with his 1979 The Original Disco Man album. Here's my favourite track from that one... some funky disco... a very fun song

It's been said that this record was the prototype for Mary Wilson's "Red Hot" that was released later that year. The intros are almost identical.

It's been said that this record was the prototype for Mary Wilson's "Red Hot" that was released later that year. The intros are almost identical.
    Oh Marv, you must be joking.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh Marv, you must be joking.
    You think so? Check this out:

The version I posted above is the original album version. Now listen to James Brown's "Too Funky In Here". The intros are nearly identical. I joked for years that "Red Hot" was also "Mary Wilson does James Brown" She is purposely channeling his style:

Name:  james brown and mary wilson.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  100.2 KB

Ok Marv. If you’re saying Red hot was modeled after It’s too Funky inHere.. that I buy. I thought you were saying it was the other way around. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Ok Marv. If you’re saying Red hot was modeled after It’s too Funky inHere.. that I buy. I thought you were saying it was the other way around. My bad.
    No problem. When I heard "Red Hot" for the first time in the Fall of 1979 I thought it sounded familiar. Mary's record was released later in the year after James' record.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Undoubtably he is brilliant in his own sphere but hasn't had the same profile here in the UK as in the US. Only 1 top 10 hit [["Hey America") for example and I almost like that one and can listen to "I Got You" as well. For a minute or two I also liked "Sex Machine" but I don't enjoy music lacking a decent melody and with a lot of repetition to boot. My leanings are to good melodies and I guess pop music. So I much prefer the King Of Pop to the Godfather of Soul. That is just my taste. I decided long ago I wasn't a fan of James Brown. That was long before I learnt that he was a serial abuser of women [[including Tammi Terrell it seems). But we're in danger of getting off topic I think.
    You do know that Michael Jackson studied James Brown from the time he was a little kid starting out.

So, shall we just accept it? No. We counter it with facts. They repeat lies long enough that people believe them. So, all we have to do is repeat the truth and back it up with historical evidence.
    I wasn't saying it should be accepted. I was saying we shouldn't be surprised that facts don't matter in an age when "alternative facts" and "fake news" are appropriate catch phrases. Your response to my comment is absolutely correct in regards to what should be done when people play fast and loose with the truth. I often counter alternative facts in this forum with sourced information and have ended up on some folks' bad side. I would never suggest that a lie should be left unchecked.

Royal Wedding Song “Stand by Me” Was a Surprise to Famed Composer Mike Stoller: “I didn’t think it would be the ONLY song”

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/05/22...-the-only-song

Touche! Sure, The Beatles are most often mentioned, but The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Herman's Hermits, Petula Clark, The Yardbirds, Peter And Gordon, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, The Dave Clark Five, and scores of others, are always included.
    I wasn't particularly happy about the Supremes' album being called "A Bit of Liverpool" as it included "Bits and Pieces" originally by the Dave Clark 5, who came from North London.

I remember being annoyed by people referring to Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman" as Tamla Motown as long ago as the early 70s, so it's not a new phenomenon in the UK. I get just annoyed over it happening now. If people aren't taking the trouble to get their references right, how can we ever be sure we understand what they're saying?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I wasn't particularly happy about the Supremes' album being called "A Bit of Liverpool" as it included "Bits and Pieces" originally by the Dave Clark 5, who came from North London.

I remember being annoyed by people referring to Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman" as Tamla Motown as long ago as the early 70s, so it's not a new phenomenon in the UK. I get just annoyed over it happening now. If people aren't taking the trouble to get their references right, how can we ever be sure we understand what they're saying?
    What is worse is when younger people believe it and just goes with it as fact.

See, I am not amazed that you know the names of all of those different artists. You are intelligent and curious enough to want to know their names and probably their most popular recordings.
    LOL! I grew up with all that British Invasion music along with jazz music, Motown, Atlantic, Stax, and the rest. It's not something I had to discover or anything like that.

Vocally, I thought Mary might be doing a derivative of:

I hear that anyway.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-24-2018 at 05:54 PM.

I agree . I like this branching out in style by James Brown, even though he claims he wasn't very happy with it.... but then he made a follow LP with Brad Shapiro at the helm again.

I know. My Uncle George called all music by white artists "Hillbilly Music". I don't even know if I was sure of what that meant LOL!

I went to my former Minister's funeral last weekend. It lasted over 4 hours! There was a woman that read condolences and messages to the family for 45 mins! In between all the other ministers speeches they talked about Rev. Johnson and his wife who were friends of MLK before he became nationally known. It should be a requirement that those officiating or conducting funeral services or masses at least know somethings about the deceased.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  21.1 KB
    So AC/DC were Hillbillies? And Monti Rock IV? And Napoleon 14th? And Herbie Mann? And The Beatles? And Frank Ifield? And Sophie Tucker?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I agree . I like this branching out in style by James Brown, even though he claims he wasn't very happy with it.... but then he made a follow LP with Brad Shapiro at the helm again.

Interesting Boogie. "It's Too Funky In Here" is probably one of my fave James Brown songs, even though he did not write or produce it. That album is indeed quite disco-y and I can understand why James B may not have liked it. The title track is kinda catchy but also a lil bit corny.

Also, for a more pop-ish track I'd choose "Living In America" [[even though it is still funkaaaaaay), written and produced by the great Dan Hartman [[reeeeelight my fire!)
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-24-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Vocally, I thought Mary might be doing a derivative of:

I hear that anyway.
    Interesting. She is one of Mary's friends today:

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  21.1 KB
    So AC/DC were Hillbillies? And Monti Rock IV? And Napoleon 14th? And Herbie Mann? And The Beatles? And Frank Ifield? And Sophie Tucker?
    I am not sure if he's even heard any of them, the Beatles being the most likely of them. He heard me listening to the Eagles, Bob Seger etc when I was a teenager. He passed away years ago or I'd asked him what he meant. My father was much different. He liked all kinds of music as long as it was good. That's how I am.

Interesting Boogie. "It's Too Funky In Here" is probably one of my fave James Brown songs, even though he did not write or produce it. That album is indeed quite disco-y and I can understand why James B may not have liked it. The title track is kinda catchy but also a lil bit corny.

Also, for a more pop-ish track I'd choose "Living In America" [[even though it is still funkaaaaaay), written and produced by the great Dan Hartman [[reeeeelight my fire!)
    Most of the Soul artists from the 60s did not like Disco and resisted doing it as much as possible. The ones that still had record deals in the 70s were forced to do it to survive, but they didn't like it!

Most of the Soul artists from the 60s did not like Disco and resisted doing it as much as possible. The ones that still had record deals in the 70s were forced to do it to survive, but they didn't like it!

Marv it seems your point is so great you made it twice!!!

Most of the comments here seem to be from posters I have long ago blocked so I can't and don't comment on them. It's nice to see that the composer of the song as well as the audience at large loved and appreciated the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Most of the comments here seem to be from posters I have long ago blocked so I can't and don't comment on them. .
    Yep. That's how it works all right.

Very true. And, if they weren't contractually forced or coerced by the label, they did it for survival. Some succeeded, and some didn't.

Take Kool & The Gang, though. They languished in the late 70s during the height of the disco era, mostly because they didn't know how to navigate it. That's why they hired Eumir Deodato and singer James J.T. Taylor. It worked. They had to change their sound, but, hey, they became more popular than ever before for a few years.

And Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers! They hated disco! They were playing rock for most of the 70s until they played in Walter Murphy's Big Apple Band [[A Fifth Of Beethoven). They couldn't get anywhere playing rock as Black men, so they formed a disco group to get famous enough to do rock, which is exactly what happened. That group, of course, was Chic. Eventually, they came to like the music, but their two biggest records were anti-disco songs: "Le Freak" and "Good Times". In fact, "Le Freak" was a big middle finger to the very club that played the song like crazy! Studio 54 wouldn't let them in after Grace Jones invited them. They walked home angrily singing "Ah Fuck Off!". They suddenly realized they had a hit song and rushed home to write it.

"Le Freak" remained Atlantic Records biggest selling single of all time until about a decade ago.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-25-2018 at 04:25 AM.

Yep. That's how it works all right.
    That means most people that P&H didn't respond to can put him/her on ignore too.

If they choose to.

That means most people that P&H didn't respond to can put him/her on ignore too.
    I checked that one off my bucket list, along with several others, awhile ago. Blocking does make for a more pleasant forum experience, as far as not having to deal with posters who seem to look for drama with every keystroke. Unfortunately it can limit the discussions when the folks you've blocked seem to be posting all the time. But hey, sometimes there's a price to pay for comfort.

Once you have blocked a poster, can you unblock them? Also, if you block someone, do they know that you have blocked them? [[I mean, without telling them )

Once you have blocked a poster, can you unblock them? Also, if you block someone, do they know that you have blocked them? [[I mean, without telling them )
    Yes, you can unblock them, but as far as I know a poster doesn't know he or she has been blocked until they see it mentioned in a post. One feature that is lacking so far is the ability to block even messages that appear in someone else's reply. For instance, if I block you Tom and Midnight replies to something you said using the "reply with quote" feature, I now have to see what you said in Midnight's comment despite the fact that I have you blocked. I don't know how feasible it is [[I'm not the most tech savvy, believe it or not) but it might be nice if Ralph looked into a way of possibly adding a way to totally ignore people on the blocked list even when others use the reply with quote. Oh well.

I do find it personally funny though that since blocking a slew of posters several weeks back, I haven't had a moment of drama. I have noticed, via the replies, that many of the folks I've blocked are still in the middle of bullshit. Proof positive that the problem isn't me.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I do find it personally funny though that since blocking a slew of posters several weeks back, I haven't had a moment of drama. I have noticed, via the replies, that many of the folks I've blocked are still in the middle of bullshit. Proof positive that the problem isn't me.
    Scratch that, I did have a moment of drama with someone I thought I had already put on ignore. I hadn't. Problem now solved.

Another thread diverted by blockers going on and on about blocking people. lol!

Yes, you can unblock them, but as far as I know a poster doesn't know he or she has been blocked until they see it mentioned in a post. One feature that is lacking so far is the ability to block even messages that appear in someone else's reply. For instance, if I block you Tom and Midnight replies to something you said using the "reply with quote" feature, I now have to see what you said in Midnight's comment despite the fact that I have you blocked. I don't know how feasible it is [[I'm not the most tech savvy, believe it or not) but it might be nice if Ralph looked into a way of possibly adding a way to totally ignore people on the blocked list even when others use the reply with quote. Oh well.
    The really old Sound Forge forum back in the early 00s had an ignore feature that was so thorough that if you ignored someone, every last trace of their existence on the forum disappeared to you. Just about everyone blocked a member who called himself "asswhole". He did nothing but troll everyone every day, all the time.

The really old Sound Forge forum back in the early 00s had an ignore feature that was so thorough that if you ignored someone, every last trace of their existence on the forum disappeared to you. Just about everyone blocked a member who called himself "asswhole". He did nothing but troll everyone every day, all the time.
    Now that's a great feature! Wish we had it here.

Now that's a great feature! Wish we had it here.
    I wish I could remember the brand of software they used. From what i've seen over the years, no one wants to fully utilize that feature if it's available.

Even if someone has something worthwhile to say only 1% of the time, I'd rather know what they're saying than place them on Ignore.

Even if someone has something worthwhile to say only 1% of the time, I'd rather know what they're saying than place them on Ignore.
    Oh, you're [[[[way)) too open-minded 144man! With that attitude I almost fear for your safety!
    Lol!! 😎

That was my philosophy up until fairly recent, which is why it took me so long to actually use the ignore feature, despite having a few posters who I refused to engage with. But my personality isn't one where I can read someone's bullshit [[or even listen to it in person) and not address it. By putting certain people on block it allows me to resist the temptation to get into something with certain people. It not only makes my time in the forum more pleasant, but it keeps the drama down...well at least it keeps my participation in drama down. But I definitely understand where you're coming from, I'm just no longer there.

But, if an individual proves to be trolling, hostile, does nothing but constantly insult or try to get little digs in, it's much better to simply put them on ignore, even if only for a little while.Life is too short to deal with their nonsense and incivility.

If they have something worthwhile to say 1% of the time, they blow it with the other 99% of garbage.

Message forums are about personal opinions. If people disagree, that's fine, but you can disagree with someone and remain respectful and civil, and not come after them with hostility. I don't think enough of us are friends or close enough to be able to come after people so strong, even if they think it's warranted. Even if someone is genuinely angry about something or at someone, it only does the rest of the community a disservice to disrupt the flow of a discussion with the vitriol. If it's a matter of culture, remember that not all of us are from the same world. We all have diverse backgrounds OK, let's make it real: for instance, if two people are known to be Black on here, and the two have a disagreement, don't treat the other person like they came from your neighborhood. They probably didn't.

No one comes here to get berated for expressing an opinion. What fun is that? There are people who like to mix it up and have it out. Well, there are members who don't, and just want to come here to unwind and get into another world for a bit. That's why we have thread topics. If there is a thread that doesn't interest you, don't open it. It's that simple. The only reason someone would do that if they aren't interested in a thread topic is so they can start something. They seem to thrive off drama. We don't like drama queens at work. We don't like drama at family dinners, we don't like drama when we go out, we don't like our significant others or children who are full of drama, so why tolerate it here?
    Last edited by soulster; 05-26-2018 at 03:56 AM.

But, if an individual proves to be trolling, hostile, does nothing but constantly insult or try to get little digs in, it's much better to simply put them on ignore, even if only for a little while.Life is too short to deal with their nonsense and incivility.

If they have something worthwhile to say 1% of the time, they blow it with the other 99% of garbage.

Message forums are about personal opinions. If people disagree, that's fine, but you can disagree with someone and remain respectful and civil, and not come after them with hostility. I don't think enough of us are friends or close enough to be able to come after people so strong, even if they think it's warranted. Even if someone is genuinely angry about something or at someone, it only does the rest of the community a disservice to disrupt the flow of a discussion with the vitriol. If it's a matter of culture, remember that not all of us are from the same world. We all have diverse backgrounds OK, let's make it real: for instance, if two people are known to be Black on here, and the two have a disagreement, don't treat the other person like they came from your neighborhood. They probably didn't.

No one comes here to get berated for expressing an opinion. What fun is that? There are people who like to mix it up and have it out. Well, there are members who don't, and just want to come here to unwind and get into another world for a bit. That's why we have thread topics. If there is a thread that doesn't interest you, don't open it. It's that simple. The only reason someone would do that if they aren't interested in a thread topic is so they can start something. They seem to thrive off drama. We don't like drama queens at work. We don't like drama at family dinners, we don't like drama when we go out, we don't like our significant others or children who are full of drama, so why tolerate it here?
    Thoughtful well-written post . I agree with every bit of it.

Regarding this particular thread , I was taken back that someone would come onto it sniffing that they wouldn't/couldn't comment because the exchanges taking place were by people they had blocked. !! That's why I said , "ya that's kinda how it works".

Once someone's blocked people , what's the point of interjecting that fact needlessly into a thread as was done here? I doubt the people that have been blocked give a hoot nor likely most anyone else.
    We get it, you're using the ignore option. Big whoop. Use it in good health!

Beyond that, I agree wholeheartedly the ignore button is a good option for those who have a better experience here from using it .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-26-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Thoughtful well-written post . I agree with every bit of it.

Regarding this particular thread , I was taken back that someone would come onto it sniffing that they wouldn't/couldn't comment because the exchanges taking place were by people they had blocked. !! That's why I said , "ya that's kinda how it works".
    Yes, indeed! It's a way for people to tell everyone that there are people here that they don't like and they are ignoring them. They are like five-year-olds sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "I can't hear you! Na-nee-na-nee-naa-naa!" Well, those children can be blocked, too.
    Once someone's blocked people , what's the point of interjecting that fact needlessly into a thread as was done here? I doubt the people that have been blocked give a hoot nor likely most anyone else.
    We get it, you're using the ignore option. Big whoop. Use it in good health!
    Apparently, these people's emotional development was stunted before they hit puberty.

I watched the Royal Wedding followed by the F[[ootball) A[[ssociation) Cup Final. Sad to say, the royal wedding proved to be a lot more exciting.

As a Manchester United fan I have to agree 😢😭