[REMOVE ADS]

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I noticed when Oprah asked Diana about career highpoints...She didn't mention the Supremes. Guess that shows how much she thinks about her former group. Probably not at all.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-26-2011 at 12:49 AM.

So guys, you've seen it now. Are you happy?

And did you enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

And did you enjoy it?
    It was Diana's best appearance on Oprah so far.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I noticed when Oprah asked Diana about career highpoints. She didn't mention the Supremes. Guess that shows how much she thinks about her former group. Probably not at all.
    Well based on the spoilers posted by Andrew Skurow on the net [[and many would consider Skurow a reliable source), The Surpemes were discussed during the taping and Diana apparently had nice things to say about Mary and Flo and their talent. But you can tell the show was edited and there was footage that was not used.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    A beautiful and wonderful program today. This show hit on so many levels. I will point out on only one: two black women coming together demonstrating that all is possible.

Miss Lish was a little miffed, however, that Oprah's name appeared about Miss Ross's on the shows logo; Miss Lish is attempting to recover.
    LOL! Remember Miss Ross has mellowed in recent years, but the younger Ross would have demanded and received first billing.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Exactly. I have this liar on "IGNORE", but I can only imagine how much backpeddaling is being done.

Try none - Like Mary Wilson I never back peddle - it is what it was nothing more - and certainly nothing less.

What Diana Ross Means to Oprah

Behind the scene moment on her show.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/What-...to-Oprah-Video

topdiva1 Guest
    It was Diana's best appearance on Oprah so far.

Perhaps her best and most relaxed appearance ever.

topdiva1 Guest
    I noticed when Oprah asked Diana about career highpoints. She didn't mention the Supremes. Guess that shows how much she thinks about her former group. Probably not at all.
    Probably is an understatement - likely she has not concerned herself with The Supremes for years - and why would she want to anyway - it is all past history.

And did you enjoy it?
    Loved Diana, her kids and her performances.

That's all.

I'll be nice and not mention how shitty Oprah's producers are so god-damn stupid when it comes to photo credits of The Supremes.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Exactly. I have this liar on "IGNORE", but I can only imagine how much backpeddaling is being done.
    Man/Girl - I am scared of you - hopefully my little ROUSE won't cause you to mug me on the street - you know what that is like.

PEACE.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Man/Girl - I am scared of you - hopefully my little ROUSE won't cause you to mug me on the street - you know what that is like.

PEACE.
    Your "little rouse" as you conveniently call it was a big fat lie.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Your sweet - like a honey bee's sting.

Reflections - and God's blessings to you Sister boy Roberta.

Good show. Good voice.

What I liked best was the part the made me understand why the Ross kids are normal, successful and happy ~ Rhonda said it ~ Mom made us feel and understand we did not fall in her shadow. Which is also why Mom is so happy going to the market with no makeup. That was the best part.

Roberta darlin.... I guess we now know that Samson came to you for the jawbone that he slain the Phillistines with.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 02-26-2011 at 12:23 AM.

I thought you were a church girl? You should know judge not less you be judged! Cool it!

For fans overseas, there are lots of clips from today's Oprah on Oprah.com.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-26-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Typically, when you ask a performer about highlights of ther career, usually one of the best memories is hearing your song on the radio for the first time. Which moments did she mention?

miss_lish Guest
    No one cares about Diana Ross, Miss Jillfoster; Divalish feels that everyone would be more interested in hearing about Bea Arthur's career highlights. Do tell.
    Last edited by miss_lish; 02-26-2011 at 06:14 AM.

I noticed when Oprah asked Diana about career highpoints...She didn't mention the Supremes. Guess that shows how much she thinks about her former group. Probably not at all.
    Well, I don't thnk we saw the whole entire show, I am sure there were some discussions that didn't make it to the final cut. However, I must admit it was a good interview and I was glad to see MISS ROSS [[hahahaha) and her kids on stage and in rare form. It was good and it was damn good to see two African American women who have made it this far in the industry. Loved it Loved it Loved it. Keeping reaching for your dreams.

shes not going to say the Supremes was a highlight because it was years of pain and stress with disgruntled singer partners and a work schedule that left her skin and bone and when she wanted to make it a career highlight with Return To Love..to help her reasses the confusion she was feeling in her life at that time by turning the turbulent supremes years into something postive...things went badly as yall know..

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    shes not going to say the Supremes was a highlight because it was years of pain and stress with disgruntled singer partners and a work schedule that left her skin and bone and when she wanted to make it a career highlight with Return To Love..to help her reasses the confusion she was feeling in her life at that time by turning the turbulent supremes years into something postive...things went badly as yall know..
    Nomis, You always put things in an interesting and honest perspective. I truly enjoy your postings.

Thanks Kamasu

I thought those clips were wonderful. I wish I could have seen more of the show - there were quite a few clips. I suspect the older guys here will also vividly remember those emotions that Oprah was experiencing in her introduction. I found that scene a little sad as I recalled my own experiences. It was hard in those days but hey, we got through it all ..eventually.

Thanks Kamasu

I thought those clips were wonderful. I wish I could have seen more of the show - there were quite a few clips. I suspect the older guys here will also vividly remember those emotions that Oprah was experiencing in her introduction. I found that scene a little sad as I recalled my own experiences. It was hard in those days but hey, we got through it all ..eventually.
    John, glad you enjoyed the clips. They might be gone by Monday. I was struck by Oprah's discussion of not seeing blacks on TV as a younger.
    Motown Fan remembers things differently than Oprah. They are the same age. But he says he saw blacks on TV before the Supremes. Dick Clark was presenting black performers regularly on American Bandstand and Motown Fan says this impressed him even though HE says his parents did insulate him from racism. Oprah mentioned Buckwheat, but Motown Fan says Buckwheat wasn't offensive. He was treated the same as the other Rascals. Dad says he didn't think about never seeing blacks on TV because he did. There was Nat King Cole and Mahalia Jackson, who had their own shows. Leslie Uggams was on weekly TV before the Supremes debuted on Ed Sullivan.
    Of course , Oprah grew up in the South where TV could be censored at some white person's whim, while Motown Fan grew up in Detroit [[the north) where he didn't notice the racism as much and he saw the Marvelettes, Shirelles, Anthony & the Imperials, Sam Cooke, Brook Benton, Della Reese, Cassius Clay and Mary Wells on TV before he ever saw the Supremes. Motown Fan says he remembers seeing blacks on Tv frequently because the times were changing. What the Supremes did do - was make him see that it was possible to do--as a young person--whatever he wanted. The Supremes and the other acts at Motown were role models, but he says he didn't have a shortage of black role models.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-26-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Well, I wasn't referring to the stress involved with disgruntled signing partners.... surely it wasn't all that when they FIRST hit it big, that's what I was talking about. and Motownfan is correct in that there were many black entertainers appearing on television long before Diana Ross. And quite a few with an elegant glamorous image. Such as this Ed sullivan appearance from 1958:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9njs2C7Q5s
    Last edited by jillfoster; 02-26-2011 at 11:48 AM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Living Well Is The Best Revenge!!!!!

And Ross has done just that. She looked absolutely beautiful and HAPPY - that is most important.

I wonder what the other Supremes thought. Now you know they where watching. LOL

For my friends who haven't seen the show:

Diana Ross on Oprah: Full Show [[video)

http://www.lovebscott.com/2011/02/25...ntire-episode/

Ed Sullivan had plently of black performers on and American bandstand also..Oprah is always saying she only saw Buckwheat on tv before Diana thats her collective memory as a viewer it is however totally incorrect from a historical perspective..but were talking Oprah here hardly the school of researched journalism..this Oprah show dosent excite me in the least we always get the same damn Sullivan clip at the begining..the same damn fawning enough already Oprah now you know her personally so why are you crying? you have lunch with her etc - what does she cry then as well?? Oprahs phoney shes always crying cos she thinks it makes "good television"..I will watch it but her kids really dont interest me either I like Diana but I dont get the fans focus on her kids threads about them are always popping up on here about them I dont know which son is which..

I can understand Oprah being emotional. She's a crier. She cries over a lot of things. But I think she gets emotional because Diana and the Supremes really made an impact on her as a poor, black child in Mississippi. Through them, she saw that there were possibilities in the world for her. You would have had to have lived in the South at the time that Oprah did to realize how oppressive and bad it was - especially IF YOu were BLACK.
    Motown Fan has a different perspective because he grew up In Detroit, which was a progressive city in the North during the late 1950s and early 1960s. All he saw were black people in his community doing positive things. Motown was there.
    Oprah didn't have this in Mississippi.
    It is true, the Supremes broke down barriers, even though there had been blacks doing things before they did. The Supremes were some of the first women of color to be featured in mainstream fashion magazines because that had not been done. They were considered beautiful, attractive and desirable which made Oprah and other black women feel positive about themselves.
    There is a saying in America that if you want to judge what kind of a person someone is, look at their families. DESPITE ALL OF THIS NEGATIVE STUFF USUALLY THROWN AT HER, Diana Ross appears to have done a remarkable job with her children, who are well-mannered, adjusted, intelligent and apparently loyal to her.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-26-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Living Well Is The Best Revenge!!!!!

And Ross has done just that. She looked absolutely beautiful and HAPPY - that is most important.

I wonder what the other Supremes thought. Now you know they where watching. LOL
    Well, Topdiva... LOOKED is the key word. i'm sure Mary looked well off and happy as a clam on lifestyles of the rich and famous sitting in Mauna Loa Avery's living room, too. Sometimes things are real, sometimes they are illusion, nobody can ever really tell which. And of course, some might say that having to trot all your children out on talk shows to extoll your virtues is a bit solicitous.

if that posted was directed at me Iam well aware of the situation in the South and what it meant to Oprah seeing Diana I find it interesting that you say "if you were black" in captail letters did you mean that patronisingly or what ?? and how easy would it be when Oprah was a child to be gay in the south or disabled ? You dont have to have lived in the south at that time to understand racism,opression,rape and murder..it was happening all over the world..and I dont think for a secound you have to be black to understand the empathy Oprah felt towards Diana..having a hero in your life a mentor is a universal bond shared by every race..there is no act of malice in the south that wasnt repeated in many other parts of the world human suffering is human suffering..evil is evil..and yes I agree Diana seems a wonderful mother

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Typically, when you ask a performer about highlights of ther career, usually one of the best memories is hearing your song on the radio for the first time. Which moments did she mention?
    Meeting Nelson Mandela.

i FIND IT HARD TO EQUATE BEING GAY WITH BEING the same as being BLACK AND OPPRESSED FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS JUST BECAUSE OF YOUR SKIN COLOR. They are both wrongs, but totally different things. Generally, if a Gay man or woman wanted to be accepted by most of mainstream society, he or she simply hid their personal or true sexual identity/self. There was a time in history when many blacks couldn't safely hide because of the color of their skin. We still can't. To really, truly understand something like racism ... you would have had to experience it. That's just how I see it.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-26-2011 at 09:22 PM.

smark21 Guest
    Ed Sullivan had plently of black performers on and American bandstand also..Oprah is always saying she only saw Buckwheat on tv before Diana thats her collective memory as a viewer it is however totally incorrect from a historical perspective..but were talking Oprah here hardly the school of researched journalism..this Oprah show dosent excite me in the least we always get the same damn Sullivan clip at the begining..the same damn fawning enough already Oprah now you know her personally so why are you crying? you have lunch with her etc - what does she cry then as well?? Oprahs phoney shes always crying cos she thinks it makes "good television"..I will watch it but her kids really dont interest me either I like Diana but I dont get the fans focus on her kids threads about them are always popping up on here about them I dont know which son is which..
    I've mixed opinions about Diana Ross having her kids with her on stage for interviews or talking about her kids a lot during interviews. On one hand, it's genuine. I think she does seem to value her family over her career at this point and I get a sense her family has brought her more genuine joy and inner enrichment than success ever did. Also, she really has no remarkable career highlights since the 1983 Central Park concert.

But there's some cynicism as well. She's using the kids to enhance her image and to detract from some of the negative connatations people have about her. And having the kids there is a good way to shield herself from having to answer some tough questions. Other superstars her age don't bring their kids with them to sit on stage with them for an interview or have them in the studio audience--they're willing to talk about themselves and promote whatever it is they're promoting. For instance Barbra Streisand and Aretha Franklin aren't constantly bringing out their adult children when they do an interview.
    Last edited by smark21; 02-26-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Although Diana looked and sounded great, I was really disappointed with the show. It fell flat in my book. The interview was so glossed over and Oprah asked nothing at all that was interesting. Personally, I thought the 1993 interview was a better one. I thought for sure Oprah would have asked her about Michael Jackson, certain aspects of her career, her work with the Supremes, her current tour, etc. Oprah dropped the ball in my opinion on this show. It could have been so much bigger. None of this is Diana's fault. She looked really relaxed, younger, and enjoyed herself. It was nice to see her family, but I could have done without that weird home movie and the Billy Dee Williams reunion was rather pointless in my opinion. They could have used that time with something better.

I was rather disappointed to learn they cut out the segment where Diana spoke about Mary and Florence...I blame Oprah for this.

Overall, it was a disappointing show in my opinion. It was great to see Diana, but with this being Oprah's last season, she could have done something so much better than ask a few glossed over questions.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I've mixed opinions about Diana Ross having her kids with her on stage for interviews or talking about her kids a lot during interviews. On one hand, it's genuine. I think she does seem to value her family over her career at this point and I get a sense her family has brought her more genuine joy and inner enrichment than success ever did. Also, she really has no remarkable career highlights since the 1983 Central Park concert.

But there's some cynicism as well. She's using the kids to enhance her image and to detract from some of the negative connatations people have about her. And having the kids there is a good way to shield herself from having to answer some tough questions. Other superstars her age don't bring their kids with them to sit on stage with them for an interview or have them in the studio audience--they're willing to talk about themselves and promote whatever it is they're promoting. For instance Barbra Streisand and Aretha Franklin aren't constantly bringing out their adult children when they do an interview.
    From what I've heard about some of her kids and their problems - including a lack of good home training, Aretha Franklin probably wouldn't want them to be interviewed. Streisand's son lives his life privately and has rarely discused her publicly.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-26-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    For my friends who haven't seen the show:
    Diana Ross on Oprah: Full Show [[video)
    http://www.lovebscott.com/2011/02/25...ntire-episode/
    Skooldem1

You are the man of the moment for me. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I am loving this show..but I felt I needed to interrupt my enjoyment to thank you for the link. It's a fabulous show and I love it

Oprah can only speak from her experience. If thats what she remembers, thats what it is. You have to remember that just because you could see some sprinkle of color in movies or TV in the 40's/50's didn't mean that you actually had access to see it. Many people didnt have TV's. Check out this clip not inlcuded in the show. Its before the show started and Oprah was telling the audience just what Diana Ross means to her. It is a very touching and genuine moment.

What Diana Ross means to Oprah [[preshow video)

There are many out there that secretly hoped for a Supremes reunion, because with Oprah all things are possible. Even though in reality many knew it would never happen, there was still hope. I say this because the reunion of Diana and Billy D was a great moment for those that actually grew up during the time that they represented black love in the cinema. They were our superstar couple. Many many people have fond memories of their movies together. I for one love unexpected reunions, and enjoyed that moment. I wasn't secretly expecting Mary or Cindy to walk out so I wasn't dissappointed.

Oprah can only speak from her experience. If thats what she remembers, thats what it is. You have to remember that just because you could see some sprinkle of color in movies or TV in the 40's/50's didn't mean that you actually had access to see it. Many people didnt have TV's. Check out this clip not inlcuded in the show. Its before the show started and Oprah was telling the audience just what Diana Ross means to her. It is a very touching and genuine moment.

True. I know Motown Fan was speaking from his experience. His family left the south for a better life. But he also knows how difficult it was for other blacks in other parts of the country. THERE WAS RACISM IN DETROIT TOO, BUT HE WAS INSULATED FROM IT AND DIDN'T REALIZE IT UNTIL LATER ON.

Just goes to show about people
    s selective memories. "the only black person on TV was buckwheat". Not true...the first time she saw her on Ed Sullivan it was life changin because she was glamorous..... those little dresses with the tiered skirts were cute, but GLAMOROUS? and those comment from Oprah are also telling, because she speaks about Diana as if she was up on Ed Sullivan by her damn self. And we all know that isn't true. I have a suspicion that Oprah has loved an IDOLIZED Diana most of her life, and Mary's book exposed something that Oprah didn't want to know. It burst her pretty balloon, and she's been mad about it ever since. Hence her editing out Diana talking about Mary and Flo. Hence her speaking about those Sullivan apearances like Diana was up there alone. When other famous people talk about the british invasion, interviewers, musicians, newscasters... do they say "The first time I saw Paul MCCartney on Sullivan, it changed my life"... you don't hear that, do you?
    Last edited by jillfoster; 02-26-2011 at 05:29 PM.

It's Oprah's show. She can edit content and talk about whatever she wants to. If she had the Supremes on her show, she probably would have referred to them. But at least she did mention them. The show wasn't about the Supremes. As far as I'm concerned, Oprah can like or gush over any guest she wants to. She doesn't have to get nostalgic over the Supremes. Face it, that appearance on the most powerful woman's show on television probably gave a boost to Diana's image and some people just can't stand it. Most of the professional reviews I've seen were all positive to raves. Diana will continue to sell out her tour.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 02-26-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Kamasu - Im really disturbed by your comments not because you state the obvious that we all know that the black man was opressed nor because you dismissed the vadility of gay opression through the ages what disturbs me is that you seem to think oppression is an exclusive situation of black oppression..that in all the slavery and murder and dominance that has happened on the planet for thousands of years of many races you can put human misery and persecution into a skin category...every life in every race has the same value you simply cant grade the importance of human suffering by skin colour..that the holocaust is less important ? ethnic cleansing isnt oppression ? the worlds a big place and sadly horrors against races has always happened you need to respect every life for what it is and not sympathise by colour dude holy hell its 2011...

I understand perfectly what Kamasu posted. Sure all oppression and hatred is evil, but racism and American slavery [[based on race) was one of the most insiduous and diabolical forms of racism. In ancient times, people or entire tribes became enslaved just because they were weak or lost a war or families owed a debt. But slavery in America and the oppression that followed was something more. You need to read some goodbooks on American slavery.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 02-26-2011 at 06:40 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Well, Topdiva... LOOKED is the key word. i'm sure Mary looked well off and happy as a clam on lifestyles of the rich and famous sitting in Mauna Loa Avery's living room, too. Sometimes things are real, sometimes they are illusion, nobody can ever really tell which. And of course, some might say that having to trot all your children out on talk shows to extoll your virtues is a bit solicitous.
    I disagree with you on this one - I found it refreshing to see The Diva and her children together in an interview. It was yet another one of the many sides and different faces of Diana Ross.

There was nothing wrong with it at all.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post

Certainly not - Diana Ross did not use her kids to enhance her image. This was just a different type of setting for the Diva then we are used too. It was really quite nice.

M1056..and you need to learn that all murder and torture is equal in the depths of evil because all lives have equal value how do you measure human suffering on a scale ? your saying one race has more value than anothers atrocities endured..that is racism- to judge by birth descent..let it go because I feel like ive gone back in time having to point these facts out- of course we all champion different causes and slavery is hell incarnate but I shall say it again because your not getting it - EVERY LIFE BORN ON EARTH DESERVES THE SAME RESPECT

topdiva1 Guest
    Staying on topic - No disrespect - BUT - Did anyone find it interesting that Ross stated that Arnie was the love of her life - and Oprah just let that go.

Perhaps there was a "GIRLFRIENDS" agreement that nothing to harsh would be said to Ross in front of her family.

I DO NOT KNOW- HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M1056..and you need to learn that all murder and torture is equal in the depths of evil because all lives have equal value how do you measure human suffering on a scale ? your saying one race has more value than anothers atrocities endured..that is racism- to judge by birth descent..let it go because I feel like ive gone back in time having to point these facts out- of course we all champion different causes and slavery is hell incarnate but I shall say it again because your not getting it - EVERY LIFE BORN ON EARTH DESERVES THE SAME RESPECT
    What we said is it is not easy to equate the gay struggle with American slavery and the oppression
    that followed. Oppression of Gays and blacks is wrong, but the two things are completely different. They are not equal evils.
    We know all human life has value. No argument there. We never even discussed murder aND ATROCITIES of human beings for whatevr reason. We said the American system of slavery and oppression that existed years ago was based a deliberate evil -based on race- which led to the manipulation, oppression, enslavement and negation of generations of people solely because they were black. It's you - living in New Zealand- WHO DON'T GET OR UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS SAID. It's also considered racist to tell a black American who at one time had laws passed in this country to prevent his ancestors from enjoying their full rights for centuries to just "let it go".
    Getting back on topic, It was good to see two black female icons on television supporting and respecting each other.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 02-26-2011 at 07:42 PM.

F#@k the thread Top diva Ive just been told that a gay murder or a 13 year old girl having her vagina cut out in a tribal ritual has less significance than a body hanging from a tree in the south..that the black man is more important and I should study slavery crimes because obviously every other rape and mutilation isnt important because their skin colour is not black and yall are sitting back and not commenting this is the lowest moment Ive ever seen at SDF...