[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb A few questions about the forum culture

Hi there, everyone! Since I joined, I've been truly enlightened by the information I've gained. Some of you regulars who have been here for years might see this forum as a bunch of loose conversation about times long past, but for a 23 year-old journalist who is obsessed with information and oldies, I'm so glad I found this place. As someone who grew up in the forum culture of the early 00s, I really enjoy the casual conversational style that persisted while the rest of the internet devolved to communicate in small bursts.

So, I'm a blunt guy and have a few questions about the culture of this forum. Some of you might say "wait around and see," but here we go:

1. Is this the *ultimate* source for Motown / oldies discussion and information?

I've been an avid oldies fan [[1960s - 1980s is my specialty, but I also enjoy early 20th century scores, soundtracks and novelty material) but I haven't had an outlet for conversation since most of my peers don't relate and/or I haven't been able to find forums like this.

I imagine since most fans of older music are older, most of these types of communities would exist on a forum basis. Are there any other forums you can point me to with as much life as this forum, or close to it? Maybe a Phil Spector forum, 60s/70s rock forum, etc etc

2. Are there any younger folks like me on here [[age 18 - 35)?

*When I mention age, I am sincerely not trying to be ageist to the wonderful forum veterans. I usually mention that trait about myself so fellow members are aware that most of my info is second-hand historian style, and that I admittedly don't know as much as other members who LIVED through it. To me, I see it as respect because I sincerely came here to learn more and gain new perspectives, and I think it could be fair to let people know of my own perspective that might be influenced by my age.

3. Are there former Motown employees / insiders / family / artists / etc who frequent this forum?

I've been skimming through posts from the past and present, and have encountered discussions of people telling their legendary stories involving Motown icons and behind-the-scenes info I wouldn't have gained from books or anywhere else. I know people have the ability to lie on the internet, but I genuinely hope some of the tales people have told are honest.

4. How catty are we allowed to get? LOL

You know the answer to this question, but I do mean this in part jest. I've seen plenty of off-topic bickering between members with seniority and certain members who have gained notorious reputations. Who are the moderators?! What do I have to do to avoid being blacklisted by the conversational core members here?

Edit: What's your guys' deal with Marv?

5. What publications do you guys frequent?

To expand on specificity of that question, what publications do you frequently get your "oldies / Motown" news from? As a journalist, I look for publications where I can possibly apply my own passion to subjects, and vinyl collecting / classics / oldies have been one of them. Is the oldies internet community mostly relegated to forums since these topics aren't considered "newsworthy" anymore, or are there blogs you folks read that dish out interesting facts, older album reviews, etc?

Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by loganjlr; 04-23-2018 at 07:29 AM.