[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Other than their solo lps did the Pips share any leads with Gladys?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    yes they did. Friendship train, their versions of cloud nine and everybody is a star. Also bubba and William had silos on the imagination album.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    yes they did. Friendship train, their versions of cloud nine and everybody is a star. Also bubba and William had silos on the imagination album.
    The guys also had a solo on GIRL TALK on the ALL IN A KNIGHT'S WORK album. And one of the guys [[either Bubba or William) did the lead on THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD on their STANDING OVATION album.

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the Jackson 5

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the Jackson 5
    The J5 was mostly a group effort anyways. I mean all five brothers shared leads in one way or another during their six years at the label. EVERYONE who is a Jackson 5/Jackson family/MJ fan knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The J5 was mostly a group effort anyways. I mean all five brothers shared leads in one way or another during their six years at the label. EVERYONE who is a Jackson 5/Jackson family/MJ fan knows that.
    I wouldn't say mostly a group effort. Rumor has it that Tito and Marlon spent very little time in the studio. But BG is correct to mention the J5 since Mike, Jermaine and Jackie traded leads or lead parts throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I wouldn't say mostly a group effort. Rumor has it that Tito and Marlon spent very little time in the studio. But BG is correct to mention the J5 since Mike, Jermaine and Jackie traded leads or lead parts throughout.
    There may be some truth to Tito and Marlon not having a lot of time in the studio [[especially Marlon since I did see pics of Tito in the studio with MJ, Jermaine and Jackie). I think they mainly used MJ, Jermaine and Jackie for lead and background vocals. Like they have them record lead parts and then add backgrounds later in the day. That's how they recorded I Want You Back. I don't think Tito or Marlon was on it at all. Tito WAS on ABC though. Marlon has a BRIEF solo in I Bet You from ABC but he's so indistinguishable you forget he's on it since MJ and Jermaine take it over from the others. Marlon didn't begin to have a heavy vocal presence until the later years. Especially on the album track Mama I Gotta Brand New Thing on Get It Together.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    There may be some truth to Tito and Marlon not having a lot of time in the studio [[especially Marlon since I did see pics of Tito in the studio with MJ, Jermaine and Jackie). I think they mainly used MJ, Jermaine and Jackie for lead and background vocals. Like they have them record lead parts and then add backgrounds later in the day. That's how they recorded I Want You Back. I don't think Tito or Marlon was on it at all. Tito WAS on ABC though. Marlon has a BRIEF solo in I Bet You from ABC but he's so indistinguishable you forget he's on it since MJ and Jermaine take it over from the others. Marlon didn't begin to have a heavy vocal presence until the later years. Especially on the album track Mama I Gotta Brand New Thing on Get It Together.
    Definitely as the group continued on it became a more group effort, especially at Epic. IMO Tito wasn't a singer, so I never think of him in those terms. I think Marlon developed into one, which is why his presence [[vocally) became more noticeable as the years went on.

The Originals also shared leads.

And before Ran points it out with another post I did , I meant solos curse ye autocorrect

And before Ran points it out with another post I did , I meant solos curse ye autocorrect
    LOL Autocorrect was cursed the day it was invented.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    On "Friendship Train", William Guest had a solo line in the middle of the song "We got to start today to make a brighter day for all children"....