[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Erm I know who Paul McCartney is lol. I think everyone knows The Beatles, don't they? Especially in the UK. And I reckon most young people here know Marvin Gaye. Even if it is through the Charlie Puth song "Marvin Gaye"...
    Don't forget "Marvin Gaye and Chardonnay"...lol
    Jay Z mentioned him in Dust Off Your Shoulders [["I'm like a young Marvin in his hey")
    T.I. mentioned him a few times [["Rubberband Man" and "Trouble Man")
    His music is still sampled to this day [[John Legend sampled his "If I Should Die Tonight" for "Who Do We Think We Are"; Avant virtually copied elements of the same song for "You & I")
    Let's Get It On is played on several YouTube channels [[including Troye Sivan's, the young gay pop singer; he had that song played on some of his videos) and commercials...

Unless your music is stuck on ONE GENRE only, they know who the heck Marvin Gaye is.

ANYWAY, drifting off topic again. And how did Paul McCartney and Marvin even get into this thread? LOL

Here's another favorite song from Syreeta:

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Got it!! Thanks Sans!!
    No worries. buddy!

Syreeta's take on her and Stevie's Blame It on the Sun from her self-titled 1980 album:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Read above for what happened in one of my posts.
    I've heard rumors in the past about Berry making a pass at Jean and her telling him no. Never seen anything really substantiated about it and it's always struck me as a bit far fetched. No slight to Jean but she's hardly the most beautiful woman at Motown. looking at some of the various women that have been connected to him, she just doesn't strike me as his type.

Berry was a pig. Duh.

Syreeta [[with Jermaine in the background) covering a classic J5 song:

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Paul McCartney and Marvin Gaye are LEGENDS.

Syreeta is only known to music aficionados and Motown stans [[like myself). BIG DIFFERENCE.
    The are legends, however they are now known mostly to people over 45 years old. I also agree about Syreeta.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I've heard rumors in the past about Berry making a pass at Jean and her telling him no. Never seen anything really substantiated about it and it's always struck me as a bit far fetched. No slight to Jean but she's hardly the most beautiful woman at Motown. looking at some of the various women that have been connected to him, she just doesn't strike me as his type.
    Jean was quite sought after once she joined the Supremes. Many of the guys at Motown flirted with her. She even started dating one of the most famous professional athletes in the World during the early 70s, none other than Walt "Clyde" Frazier of the New York Knicks! She dated famed songwriter Allen Toussaint, [[he wrote songs such as "Lady Marmalade" for LaBelle, "Southern Nights" for Glen Campbell,etc.) No, she wasn't a World class, Miss Universe level beauty like Mary Wilson [[smiling here) LOL, but Jean Terrell was a good looking woman in a very high profile job!

I have met Jean and she is a good looking woman. You can ask Ralph. He was the person that picked her up from the airport and brought her to Motown in Detroit when she first joined the Supremes.

Syreeta performing "Your Kiss is Sweet" in London, 1989

Syreeta's take on her and Stevie's Blame It on the Sun from her self-titled 1980 album:
    That was her best album. She did a bang up job on Arlene Smiths/Chantels "He's Gone" on that album.

Yeah, find a few ignorant youngsters who have no clue who Paul is like that's a sign he don't have influence in today's scene. You do know Paul is a ROCK legend? Of course Tyga's pedophile ass don't know who he is. Don't generalize the youth like that, man.
    You had to go there about Tyga? No younger people and especially young African Americas do not know who Paul McCartney or the Beatles are. They just don't. I know he is a Rock legend, but I was around to see them on the Ed Sullivan Show, I didn't know what all the screaming was about, but my brother and I use to sing Beatles songs in the back seat of my father's car when we were little kids and he'd tell us to "shut up that racket" LOL!

I am not generalizing. Paul McCartney [[and others) have ages out of today's Pop Culture. Even the collaboration with Kanye West did little to improve his notoriety with the under 35 crowd.

^ Lol you expect me to get Tyga any respect. Dude can't even rap. Not a good example of "the youngsters of today". Plus technically I'm IN that generation you claim don't know who Marvin is lmao

ANYWAYS... more Syreeta!

My fave from the One to One album.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-09-2018 at 04:02 PM.

^ Lol you expect me to get Tyga any respect. Dude can't even rap. Not a good example of "the youngsters of today". Plus technically I'm IN that generation you claim don't know who Marvin is lmao

ANYWAYS... more Syreeta!

My fave from the One to One album.
    You are not reading my posts correctly. I said that there are few that know these older artists for other reasons than hearing them on the radio, seeing them on television or reading about them.

I liked Syreeta, but I liked Carolyn Crawford more! LOL!

And I like Barbara Randolph! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    And I like Barbara Randolph! Lol
    I liked Barbara's work with the Platters.

I've never heard that either. I wonder who told Marv? Not that he'll tell us who told him.

However, I don't think Gordy really had a type. And even if he did, type means nothing if you hope to use sex as a power to wield over the head of your employee. So I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is what happened between he and Jean. On the other hand, until I hear Jean or Gordy confirm this, I'll slide it into the "theory" category since there's no evidence that it is fact.

Jean was quite sought after once she joined the Supremes. Many of the guys at Motown flirted with her. She even started dating one of the most famous professional athletes in the World during the early 70s, none other than Walt "Clyde" Frazier of the New York Knicks! She dated famed songwriter Allen Toussaint, [[he wrote songs such as "Lady Marmalade" for LaBelle, "Southern Nights" for Glen Campbell,etc.) No, she wasn't a World class, Miss Universe level beauty like Mary Wilson [[smiling here) LOL, but Jean Terrell was a good looking woman in a very high profile job!
    Jean was a very pretty woman IMO. The Supremes look wasn't always flattering to her, but then that's true for every Supreme. And in addition to being pretty, she also carried herself with a regal air that I personally find sexy.

-_-

This is not about Jean Terrell or Diana Ross or Florence Ballard or Paul McCartney or Berry Gordy or Tyga.

Jeez Louise...

When it comes to this site, it's Team Supremes or FOH I guess lmao

Don't generalize the youth like that, man.
    Thank you midnight. Do I have the right to be offended here? Arrrrggh this generalisation bs has gotten to me.

Nope! There are plenty of young people that do not know who the Beatles were. They don't read about them, they don't tune into Oldies stations to hear them and they do not see them on television. Add to the fact that kids don't talk to their parents and vice versa much anymore. You might find the odd kid or young person that knows them and that will only be because they have a parent or grandparent that is a big Beatles fan.
    Young people don't talk to their parents anymore!!? What!!!!!? Aaarrrrggggh, Marv can I just say — I AM A YOUNG PERSON — and, yes, I talk to my parents, I talk to other young people, in fact, here I am discussing old music with you on an Internet forum. Mind BLOWN. I know who The Beatles are, and not because my family are megafans. People my age know who people like Marvin and Stevie are.

This generalising is so negative and I'm so annoyed and holy moly this has ticked me off. Is this ageism or what? Am I going mad here?!!! pfffffff

Thank you midnight. Do I have the right to be offended here? Arrrrggh this generalisation bs has gotten to me.
    You're welcome. I got tired of it too. People who get older think they can speak against the youth as if they don't know better... you can tell who talks to the youth and who doesn't in here.

I've never heard that either. I wonder who told Marv? Not that he'll tell us who told him.

However, I don't think Gordy really had a type. And even if he did, type means nothing if you hope to use sex as a power to wield over the head of your employee. So I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is what happened between he and Jean. On the other hand, until I hear Jean or Gordy confirm this, I'll slide it into the "theory" category since there's no evidence that it is fact.
    Get outta dodge! I'm not telling you that.

Young people don't talk to their parents anymore!!? What!!!!!? Aaarrrrggggh, Marv can I just say — I AM A YOUNG PERSON — and, yes, I talk to my parents, I talk to other young people, in fact, here I am discussing old music with you on an Internet forum. Mind BLOWN. I know who The Beatles are, and not because my family are megafans. People my age know who people like Marvin and Stevie are.

This generalising is so negative and I'm so annoyed and holy moly this has ticked me off. Is this ageism or what? Am I going mad here?!!! pfffffff
    Not in America. Kids do not talk to their parents very much about anything anymore.......

You can make up a name for it if you want to. You can take it as highly offensive too. I just know that kids today do not listen to older artists. They listen to the artists of their generation which is why you videos by people Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars with over 300 million views!

Get outta dodge! I'm not telling you that.
    Duh, that's exactly what I said at the beginning of my post. I know you never reveal your sources, real or imagined.

Not in America. Kids do not talk to their parents very much about anything anymore.......
    WE'RE AMERICANS! What are you smoking, B? LOL

You just need to stop.

Like I said, stop comparing Syreeta to legends who have been far better known. This thread is about why Syreeta never got ahead, not why Marvin or Paul McCartney can't related to some already has-been rapper blocking a Beatle from a club entrance.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-10-2018 at 01:04 AM.

You just need to stop.

Like I said, stop comparing Syreeta to legends who have been far better known. This thread is about why Syreeta never got ahead, not why Marvin or Paul McCartney can't related to some already has-been rapper blocking a Beatle from a club entrance.
    I thought TomatoTom was from the U.K.? In any case what I said still stands. Kids do not talk as much with their parents today as in the past. Also, no one can compare to Syreeta. LOL!

You can make up a name for it if you want to. You can take it as highly offensive too. I just know that kids today do not listen to older artists. They listen to the artists of their generation which is why you videos by people Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars with over 300 million views!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism

"I can take it as highly offensive"... thank you Marv I appreciate your gift

Now while I don't disagree that most young people are listening to artists of their generation, this is no difference to previous generations, surely? If YouTube had been around in the 60s, The Beatles and The Supremes would have been hitting those 300 million views. And it doesn't mean they can't listen or know older artists.

You're welcome. I got tired of it too. People who get older think they can speak against the youth as if they don't know better... you can tell who talks to the youth and who doesn't in here.
    Exactly midnight

You just need to stop.

I thought TomatoTom was from the U.K.? In any case what I said still stands. Kids do not talk as much with their parents today as in the past. Also, no one can compare to Syreeta. LOL!
    I think midnight was just saying, in response to "American parents and kids don't talk to each other", that "they're Americans, so that's ridiculous!" not that myself and midnight were American.

Anyway I think Syreeta was a great singer and recorded some great stuff. "Your Kiss Is Sweet" is my favourite!!!!! Also "I Love Every Little Thing About You"

Syreeta had a few hits here in the UK too. One time I told my parents about her and they vaguely remembered her.

If I could get back to Syreeta....

Did she ever do a lot of touring? That helps build a fan base [[as any country music star will attest). I don't remember her ever doing much. She seemed to concentrate on writing as well as recording, but perhaps, not so much on performing.

I enjoy her voice and bought most of her albums, but I don't think I would have enjoyed her leading the Supremes. She always seemed like a singular person / voice to me. She certainly would have looked great as a Supreme, but even there she had her own sense of style that might not have meshed with the group as a whole.

For me, Stevie Wonder Presents and her self titled 1980 records are the best, and I still play both of them often. 'Cause We've Ended Now As Lovers" is a killer track, not really Top 40 to me but, wow, what a vocal and production.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post

Did she ever do a lot of touring? That helps build a fan base [[as any country music star will attest). I don't remember her ever doing much. She seemed to concentrate on writing as well as recording, but perhaps, not so much on performing.

I enjoy her voice and bought most of her albums, but I don't think I would have enjoyed her leading the Supremes. She always seemed like a singular person / voice to me. She certainly would have looked great as a Supreme, but even there she had her own sense of style that might not have meshed with the group as a whole.

For me, Stevie Wonder Presents and her self titled 1980 records are the best, and I still play both of them often. 'Cause We've Ended Now As Lovers" is a killer track, not really Top 40 to me but, wow, what a vocal and production.
    No! I don't ever recall Syreeta going out on tour. That is an excellent question Thommg.

How dare you interrupt this telenovela???? [[J/k, of course).

I have her 1980 album but don't think I ever played it much. I recall her versions of "He's Gone" and "Blame It On the Sun" being the two songs I guess I liked. My albums are in Philadelphia. I really need to get them. As for "Cause We've Ended Now", yeah, I can't hear that being a hit, but its a dope song from beginning to end.

Don't think she did much touring and if she did, it was overseas. She might've toured with Stevie but I don't know. I think there were some issues with that but no, don't think she toured much. And yeah Syreeta was too independent to be a Supreme.

I have her 1980 album but don't think I ever played it much. I recall her versions of "He's Gone" and "Blame It On the Sun" being the two songs I guess I liked. My albums are in Philadelphia. I really need to get them. As for "Cause We've Ended Now", yeah, I can't hear that being a hit, but its a dope song from beginning to end.
    Like I said about Syreeta earlier [[before we were rudely interrupted LOL), I said she was more an albums artist than someone who was simply an singles artist. She was always artistic and creative. Not something that's gonna make you confident that she can be a consistent hitmaker.

Like I said about Syreeta earlier [[before we were rudely interrupted LOL), I said she was more an albums artist than someone who was simply an singles artist. She was always artistic and creative. Not something that's gonna make you confident that she can be a consistent hitmaker.
    True, but as was pointed out before, if Motown had concentrated on promoting her as an album artist, there may have been some returns on the "investment". Thommg mentioned touring...had Motown put Syreeta on a tour of venues that the "album crowd" frequented, it could've moved some units. Also a possibility was having people focus on creating a hit record for Syreeta, of course with her collaboration. A big hit on the album could've helped each album's success. It just seems like she didn't get the attention.

That's what I meant, Motown just let her fall by the wayside. It's really unfair that after 20 years she couldn't get the support she truly deserved.

That's what I meant, Motown just let her fall by the wayside. It's really unfair that after 20 years she couldn't get the support she truly deserved.
    I wonder what her contract situation was like. We've talked at length about what the label should have done for her, but at a certain point we also have to question the decisions some of these artists make. It's hard to fathom that Syreeta was locked into a 20 year contract. So it stands to reason that at some point she was free to fly the coop and for whatever reason decided to keep signing contract after contract. Either she was happy with her life at Motown or she had some other stuff going on because it boggles my mind that she was there so long.

I wonder what her contract situation was like. We've talked at length about what the label should have done for her, but at a certain point we also have to question the decisions some of these artists make.
    Reading her Wikipedia entry shed a little bit of light on her contract situation. Her recording output is really, considering the time, not frequent. She was having a bit of success in the UK with a couple of releases. According to the Wiki, right when her contract was coming up, with neither side thinking of renewing, With You I'm Born Again hit. Both sides decided to extend the current contract with no changes.

I totally agree that Syreeta was an album artist not someone looking for hits [[though she certainly was responsible for writing many of them for others). An album artist doesn't sell as well as a hits based artist - and they need to be seen to remind people they are around since they aren't usually heard on the radio. Syreeta had a nice sized family so I'm guessing she preferred to record intermittently, write her songs and be there for her family. Ain't nothing wrong with that! That sounds like a pretty good life to me. I'm thankful for all the recordings she made - still play a few of them, and find that she has a nice ethereal quality [[even on the uptempos) that is soothing.

I wonder what her contract situation was like. We've talked at length about what the label should have done for her, but at a certain point we also have to question the decisions some of these artists make. It's hard to fathom that Syreeta was locked into a 20 year contract. So it stands to reason that at some point she was free to fly the coop and for whatever reason decided to keep signing contract after contract. Either she was happy with her life at Motown or she had some other stuff going on because it boggles my mind that she was there so long.
    I have to believe she was on salary. She didn't sell much, so there were very little royalties. She did not tour, so there was no revenue from that area. I can imagine she made some money from her writing and co-writing with Stevie.

As thommg said, just seemed like they extended the contract. Also she recorded for virtually every Motown label there was. I think I Can't Give Back the Love was released on Gordy [[I think anyway), then she was transferred to MoWest for the Syreeta '72 album, transferred to Motown proper for the Stevie Wonder Presents project in '74, and then for the remainder until she left, she recorded for Tamla [[her ex hubby's old imprint).

Reading her Wikipedia entry shed a little bit of light on her contract situation. Her recording output is really, considering the time, not frequent. She was having a bit of success in the UK with a couple of releases. According to the Wiki, right when her contract was coming up, with neither side thinking of renewing, With You I'm Born Again hit. Both sides decided to extend the current contract with no changes.

I totally agree that Syreeta was an album artist not someone looking for hits [[though she certainly was responsible for writing many of them for others). An album artist doesn't sell as well as a hits based artist - and they need to be seen to remind people they are around since they aren't usually heard on the radio. Syreeta had a nice sized family so I'm guessing she preferred to record intermittently, write her songs and be there for her family. Ain't nothing wrong with that! That sounds like a pretty good life to me. I'm thankful for all the recordings she made - still play a few of them, and find that she has a nice ethereal quality [[even on the uptempos) that is soothing.
    She also lived comfortably off of songwriting royalties so it doesn't seem like she was actually hungry for money. Also she got into Transcendental Meditation [[and got Stevie hooked to it), which led to the spiritual themes in One to One. And then having a family afterwards. Yeah she seemed satisfied where she was at. So who knows how she was feeling but Motown should've pushed her albums. But then again, Motown was never albums driven in the long run.

I think Syreeta's problem was.....Stevie. Sure, he hit big with "Tears of a Clown", "It's a Shame", "Tell Me Something Good", and "Let's Get Serious".....but outside of that handful and MAYBE a few more, his success was writing for himself.

If that was the case, then how come Berry didn't help her after she began to do more music without him? In the case of One to One in particular, which Leon Ware heavily oversaw production of?

If that was the case, then how come Berry didn't help her after she began to do more music without him? In the case of One to One in particular, which Leon Ware heavily oversaw production of?
    And in which the only released single was a Stevie produced song, Harmour Love. It does not appear that any other single was released from this effort. Which brings up something else - Syreeta continued to record but there don't seem to be many singles released on her behalf.

Personally I really like the Rita Wright years set - they are what they are [[demo's), with a bit more production could have been really good...