[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lol I'm SURE Syreeta told him "I don't wanna do anything with the Supremes, I'm occupied with Stevie now." Don't even think she would've agreed if she wasn't tbh.

It DOES seem tacky for BG to introduce Jean and then later that night tell the remaining girls, "well I think Syreeta can be a good replacement". I don't agree with that part but yeah BG was messy when it came to Motown affairs especially after the '60s.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I enjoy your posts RanRan but no I don't agree with the point about replacing Jean.

Many times BG would second guess himself at the last minute. He did this when it was time to release Mahogany [[wanted to can the whole movie) and on the release of What's Going On and several releases where Diana was concerned. Keep Me Hangin' On was to come out before Can't Hurry Love, but he swapped it.

I think, from talking to Mary and comments made by Cindy, that Gordy was more concerned with getting Diana out of the group with a hit and not paying much attention to Jean's attitude. On the night of Farewell Jean put him in his place, something BG didn't take well especially from a woman. I think he was dead serious about replacing her with Syreeta, without knowing or caring if Syreeta was really interested. I think the main reason Jean was saved was because when he got back to LA he found out Syreeta wanted to marry and work solely with Stevie, not interested in Supremes. The group had it's first single coming out in a few weeks so he was kinda stuck with Jean.

As far as how serious did talks with Syreeta go before deciding on Jean, they didn't go far. There was one meeting between Syreeta with Mary and Cindy, who both had already met Jean, and it was brief and decisive; they wanted Jean Terrell.
    Thanks Bayou. I get Gordy second guessing himself, but that kind of change seems like such a big risk to take with so much money on the line. But if he really wanted Jean out, your scenario of Jean putting Berry in his place the night of the farewell certainly makes the whole thing make sense. For whatever reason, Berry seems to have dealt much better with the strong men signed to Motown as opposed to the strong women. He just didn't seem to like too many of them standing up to him in anyway. Diana probably got away with it more than any other woman because she was the queen of Motown. So I can definitely believe Gordy wanting to take drastic action if he realized that Jean wasn't afraid to send back whatever he was serving. This is a new piece of the puzzle for me.

I wonder if this was the incident Cindy talked about when she said all the smiles after the farewell show were fake because there was a big blowup afterwards?

Does anyone think that the 70s Supremes' singles success would've been different had Syreeta replaced Diana? I wonder if Gordy would've let Syreeta write for the group. Perhaps the Supremes Stevie Wonder album would've happened very early on. I believe Jean's voice was a big part of the Supremes' continued success, but would the public have thought the same if Syreeta was singing "Up the Ladder" and "Stoned Love"? I'm just throwing thoughts out there as they cross my mind. Don't mind me.

Susaye was a writer too. She should've been allowed to write for the Supremes [[well she never had a chance since the group just abruptly ended a year after she joined) but I doubt that in Syreeta's expense. She loved her freedom and signing with the Supremes would've made her forced to sing whatever songs she was given. And considering she had huge success with songs like "Signed, Sealed, Delivered [[I'm Yours)" and "It's a Shame" as a songwriter, not to mention singing and collaborating with Stevie, inspiring him to be more creative, I don't think she could've swallowed not being able to be in control. No way.

If she had went with the Supremes, I fear it may have changed the course of pop music history. Syreeta was where she was at because of fate. It was fate that she and Stevie work together [[and fall in love). It wasn't her fate to be a Supreme.

[QUOTE=RanRan79;450343]Thanks Bayou. I get Gordy second guessing himself, but that kind of change seems like such a big risk to take with so much money on the line. But if he really wanted Jean out, your scenario of Jean putting Berry in his place

Jean was a lousy choice considering she was merely pleasant as a performer replacing one of the greatest entertainers in history. Cindy and Mary were an average backdrop that needed a powerhouse leading superstar. It was not Jean, and probably not Syreeta.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 04-08-2018 at 01:59 PM.

ANYWAY, Syreeta, IMHO, was a great artist and IMHO she had great material. I will not stand for anyone dismissing her work lol

I'll just post some Syreeta music. This is not Supremes.com!!!

Loved the ending where Stevie comes in with the voice of what sounds like a greedy shark lol

Syreeta is actually doing multi-tracked leads [[a'la Marvin) in this song. Deniece Williams can be heard near the ending with her vocal trills.
    Last edited by midnightman; 04-08-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It wasn't her fate to be a Supreme.
    And for that I am so thankful.

ANYWAY, Syreeta, IMHO, was a great artist and IMHO she had great material. I will not stand for anyone dismissing her work lol

I'll just post some Syreeta music. This is not Supremes.com!!!

Loved the ending where Stevie comes in with the voice of what sounds like a greedy shark lol

Syreeta is actually doing multi-tracked leads [[a'la Marvin) in this song. Deniece Williams can be heard near the ending with her vocal trills.
    She did some great work. I'm just not a fan of her voice. But you posted one of my favs. I LOVE "Spinnin and Spinnin". I've played that one to death.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks Bayou. I get Gordy second guessing himself, but that kind of change seems like such a big risk to take with so much money on the line. But if he really wanted Jean out, your scenario of Jean putting Berry in his place the night of the farewell certainly makes the whole thing make sense. For whatever reason, Berry seems to have dealt much better with the strong men signed to Motown as opposed to the strong women. He just didn't seem to like too many of them standing up to him in anyway. Diana probably got away with it more than any other woman because she was the queen of Motown. So I can definitely believe Gordy wanting to take drastic action if he realized that Jean wasn't afraid to send back whatever he was serving. This is a new piece of the puzzle for me.

I wonder if this was the incident Cindy talked about when she said all the smiles after the farewell show were fake because there was a big blowup afterwards?
    Yep that was the reference. Mary and Cindy went back to LA assuming that Berry would insist on Jean being fired. They were ready for the fight, but it never happened.

Here's another favorite. "I'm Goin Left".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9MoNcynZ7c

And another that I LOVE..."Cause We've Ended Now As Lovers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r864hzKbFfw

I have to respectfully disagree Circa. I was 14 yrs old when it was announced Diana was leaving the Supremes and being replaced by Jean Terrell. My instinct was what? Jean who? They can't continue without Diana Ross. Most of America felt Diana WAS the Supremes. Even Jean admitted that a few years after she left the group. Jean said the Supremes image was really Diana's image, she had created it.

But by being totally different than Diana, Jean Terrell won mass success in 1970. She was technically a better singer, far more inventive than Ross. Critics took an unexpected liking to Jean Terrell and for two years they were more popular than Diana. It took LSTB to get Diana back in the public eye, which unfortunately sealed the fate of the Jean Supremes.

Watch the Jean Terrell debut on Sullivan. The crowd went wild for them.

Jean was a lousy choice considering she was merely pleasant as a performer replacing one of the greatest entertainers in history. Cindy and Mary were an average backdrop that needed a powerhouse leading superstar. It was not Jean, and probably not Syreeta.[/QUOTE]

How the hell do you get the video to show up in the post? I should know this but I don't. Sue me.

And another that I LOVE..."Cause We've Ended Now As Lovers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r864hzKbFfw
    Now THAT was the song. I look at almost that entire album as Syreeta's response to Talking Book lol

But of course Stevie produced it so that creates a conflict of interest. LOL they worked well together.

How the hell do you get the video to show up in the post? I should know this but I don't. Sue me.
    Use the tags and put the URL in between and the video will be embedded.

Now THAT was the song. I look at almost that entire album as Syreeta's response to Talking Book lol

But of course Stevie produced it so that creates a conflict of interest. LOL they worked well together.
    That's a great way to look at it. Lol

Use the tags and put the URL in between and the video will be embedded.
    Call me dumb but I still couldn't figure out how to do it. Oh well, I'll stick to copy and paste. Lol

Call me dumb but I still couldn't figure out how to do it. Oh well, I'll stick to copy and paste. Lol
    Ran, if you're on a PC or laptop, when replying to a message, click the "filmstrip" icon on the toolbar when you want to embed a video link. From a phone, you have to select "view full site" to access this function, as far as I know.

You hit the nail on the head with all of this.

And yeah if I sign a recording contract, I expect for that label to give me all the support they can muster. It's silly to sign someone and then not work with them. And some folks defending Motown's practices in regards to Syreeta here disappoints me. Like they honestly think she should've been happy to stay in a label for more than a decade WITHOUT MUCH SUPPORT?! AYFKM? LOL

You know if you sign a contract, you have to expect to be both artistically and financially able. But this is why it's stressed that many artists seek legal representation as you said. Otherwise, Stevie would've probably been in the same boat as Marvin was.
    Ok, help me out. What does AYFKM mean? Oh wait, I think I got it! LOL

People always say shit like Berry Gordy had the right to just run over people LOL! I don't think we'll ever know why Syreeta was kept at the label for so long.

Today, an artist had better make a reasonable showing their first time out or they are dropped! Ms. Jean Terrell made a spectacular showing with her first outing with the Supremes, so Berry had to shut up! She and the Supremes were making him money.

Diana built such a huge legacy that the new group was bound to make money regardless of who led the group. Heck's fire, Wilson's ability to make money in 2018 is still based on Diana's vocals, glamour, and diva status from 50 years ago.

I do wish Wilson's shows would only feature her backup vocals from that era. I would love to see an entire concert of her ooooh's and ahaaaa's only [[can you imagine LOL) instead of her karaoke stabs at Diana's classic vocals.

Keep it real, Mary. Sing your part in your shows, and let Diana sing her part in her shows. I don't see any Vandellas running all over the world singing Martha's lead vocals. Martha would strangle them. hahahaha

The only reason I can explain why Syreeta stayed in a label for almost 20 years was due to the empty promises given to Syreeta that Motown would make her a STAR...

She joined Motown in 1967 and stayed until 1985...

That's a lifetime in dog years.

Anyway, here's another favorite SW song from the early '80s:

The only reason I can explain why Syreeta stayed in a label for almost 20 years was due to the empty promises given to Syreeta that Motown would make her a STAR...

She joined Motown in 1967 and stayed until 1985...

That's a lifetime in dog years.

Anyway, here's another favorite SW song from the early '80s:
    You ever noticed that Syreeta was not featured, shown or even mentioned in any of the Motown Anniversary television specials over the years?

I have or had all of Syreeta's albums. Her first album is one of my all-time favorites from Motown. However, each subsequent release I liked less than the previous. That may have been because I didn't give each album a proper listening - that's on me. But none of the albums grabbed me like the first and, to some degree, the second.

After her second album was released, I saw Syreeta in a small club. I was prepared for an earthy performer, similar to the pic on her first album cover. I was surprised when I got to the club and saw a baby grand piano on the postage-stamp-sized stage. [[I had been to this club a few times and it was always bare-bones mics, drum set and amplifiers - not pretty.) There was warm lighting and flowers and the band in fancy suits - very impressive. She came out to "I'm Going Left", if I recall, followed by a few songs from her second album. She looked radiant and the stage lighting was superb. I was very impressed with the mood that was set and the style of the show. It felt, to some degree, like I was at a Diana Ross show. That's all I recall, some 40 years later, nothing else stands out.

That said, once I learned in later years - and I can't remember if it was in the 70s, or when Mary's biography came out in the 80s - that Syreeta was once considered to replace Diana, or Jean, in The Supremes, have I ever said 'Wow! that would have been great'. I liked Syreeta's voice, but, for certain material. I just can't hear her voice as a Supreme, no matter how hard I try.

As for her staying with Motown for so many years without much success it may have worked for both sides. The Motown stable of artists seems to be similar to the movie studios in the early days of motion pictures when actors and actresses were signed to a studio and locked into deals with only that studio. Some actors were signed with a particular project in mind but it may have never materialized and they were left sitting. I've read so many stories of songwriters and performers whose hands were tied by their contracts. Syreeta may have been in such a situation. She may have lasted at Motown because she was a songwriter in addition to her being a performer. Maybe she had multiple contracts as we so often have learned about those who had many talents.

I was 20 when Diana left The Supremes. I remember once I found out she was leaving I couldn't wait. I felt she needed to grow as a performer without being tied to a group. I also felt The Supremes needed to become a group again.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 04-08-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Wasn’t Syreeta on Motown 25 but not shown in final broadcast a la Ashford and Simpson? I find all of this Berry/ Jean stuff a bit mysterious. What exactly happened?She spoke her mind? Well in the 70s so did Syreeta, Mary, Gladys, Stevie, Marvin and Martha. Why was Jean so focused on?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Wasn’t Syreeta on Motown 25 but not shown in final broadcast a la Ashford and Simpson? I find all of this Berry/ Jean stuff a bit mysterious. What exactly happened?She spoke her mind? Well in the 70s so did Syreeta, Mary, Gladys, Stevie, Marvin and Martha. Why was Jean so focused on?
    I did't see a clue of Syreeta on Motown 25. I think I saw a woman that looked like her in the audience during one of the standing ovations. I am sure I have mentioned this before. It is not even all that complicated. Mr. Gordy had shown a special "interest" in Miss Terrell. Miss Terrell [[and her brothers) weren't having it! So............... hehehehehehehe! It had nothing to do with her mind. LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Ooooohhhhh!

Syreeta really did not have any personality nor individualism of voice. A lovely singer, yes. A star, no.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You ever noticed that Syreeta was not featured, shown or even mentioned in any of the Motown Anniversary television specials over the years?
    Yeah, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Ooooohhhhh!
    I know right?

Yeah, pretty much.
    If you were not a Motown fan, Stevie Wonder fan or what have you and going by that omission alone, it's like Syreeta never existed to the general record buying public. Younger people today, those 30 and under don't know who Paul McCartney is.

Does anyone think that the 70s Supremes' singles success would've been different had Syreeta replaced Diana? I wonder if Gordy would've let Syreeta write for the group. Perhaps the Supremes Stevie Wonder album would've happened very early on. I believe Jean's voice was a big part of the Supremes' continued success, but would the public have thought the same if Syreeta was singing "Up the Ladder" and "Stoned Love"? I'm just throwing thoughts out there as they cross my mind. Don't mind me.
    Berry Gordy was never going to put Syreeta Wright in the Supremes. He just threw that out there when he got pissed at Jean. He did that often when he got angry. "Flo you are too fat", "Mary you know you can't sing", "Otis, get rid of him [[Damon Harris), I don't like his attitude"etc, He even made Suzanne DePasse crawl across the conference room floor on her hands and knees in front of everyone

If he really believed that Syreeta would be good for the Supremes, he would have just put her in the group, after all she was already signed to Motown. Instead he went outside of the company on a search which is how she "discovered" Jean Terrell. There is all kind of misinformation I've seen on this forum in recent years since many of the SDF old timers stopped posting.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-08-2018 at 09:06 PM.

If you were not a Motown fan, Stevie Wonder fan or what have you and going by that omission alone, it's like Syreeta never existed to the general record buying public. Younger people today, those 30 and under don't know who Paul McCartney is.
    Hmm, I don't know about that part lol

Sure it may not be to the degree where everyone my age and younger know but I think a good chunk of young music fans know who Paul McCartney is. If not from his actual music, they've read about the Beatles.

Sure it may not be to the degree where everyone my age and younger know but I think a good chunk of young music fans know who Paul McCartney is. If not from his actual music, they've read about the Beatles.
    Yeah, sometimes I wonder if some of the older folks spend much time around younger people because I see these kinds of comments all the time. Young people don't know who the Beatles are, young people don't know who Diana Ross is, etc. The Beatles, Diana Ross, Elvis, the Temptations, the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin...these are among the most legendary artists that have ever walked the face of the earth. Their influence- believe it or not- lives in some of the current popular acts. They all also were huge during the age of television, so their performances have been seen millions of times on TV, the internet, movies, etc. Young folks know who these people are, the same way when we were teens and 20s we knew who the legendary artists were whose time had probably passed.

After the 2012 Grammy Awards, WBAB a very popular New York radio station had a call in special so that listeners could comment on the Grammys the night before. Several called in an asked "Who was Paul McCartney?" some even complimented Kanye West for giving "that old guy" a chance to record with him, etc,etc. I was shocked, the DJs were shocked. After i thought about it I was like why would these kids know Paul McCartney? He hadn't had anything on the radio that was popular for many, many years and he is in his mid 70s. I wasn't listening to artists of that age when I was in my teens, 20s, 30s etc..

Paul McCartney was even denied entrance to Tyga's Grammy After Party and the door security did not know who he was even after he and a few in his entourage told him!

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if some of the older folks spend much time around younger people because I see these kinds of comments all the time. Young people don't know who the Beatles are, young people don't know who Diana Ross is, etc. The Beatles, Diana Ross, Elvis, the Temptations, the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin...these are among the most legendary artists that have ever walked the face of the earth. Their influence- believe it or not- lives in some of the current popular acts. They all also were huge during the age of television, so their performances have been seen millions of times on TV, the internet, movies, etc. Young folks know who these people are, the same way when we were teens and 20s we knew who the legendary artists were whose time had probably passed.
    They do not know them and I was shocked when that realization hit me. If I can find it again, I will post a video of a popular 29 year old DJ from Baltimore. He is African American. In the video he is chatting with his female sidekick before a guest Hip Hop artist came on. I can't remember how it came up, but he complimented Diana Ross for something and then the female said yeah she had a lot of songs. Then he repeated what she had said and tried, but could not name even ONE Diana Ross song or one by The Supremes! I was shocked.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-09-2018 at 01:47 AM.

We knew who Bing Crosby was when I was 17 because of his Christmas specials on TV. Back then we only had 3 television networks and no cable, so you pretty much watched whatever your parents watched when they were home.
    Not today! These kids don't even know who the other kids are that live on their blocks because they spend more time on their apps ,etc than socializing in real time.

Ok check this out:

Now really check this out!!!

Erm I know who Paul McCartney is lol. I think everyone knows The Beatles, don't they? Especially in the UK. And I reckon most young people here know Marvin Gaye. Even if it is through the Charlie Puth song "Marvin Gaye"...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-09-2018 at 07:04 AM.

We knew who Bing Crosby was when I was 17 because of his Christmas specials on TV. Back then we only had 3 television networks and no cable, so you pretty much watched whatever your parents watched when they were home.
    Not today! These kids don't even know who the other kids are that live on their blocks because they spend more time on their apps ,etc than socializing in real time.
    You know sometimes I don't even know who I am because I'm too busy staring lifelessly at my phone screen. On the very rare occasion that I do look up from this phone screen, to perhaps catch a glance of another human being, I have a sudden panic attack. This because my social skills have deteriorated to the point where I can no longer interact with other people. I can only communicate via text message or social media platforms. And on those I mostly write in emojis.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    You know sometimes I don't even know who I am because I'm too busy staring lifelessly at my phone screen. On the very rare occasion that I do look up from this phone screen, to perhaps catch a glance of another human being, I have a sudden panic attack. This because my social skills have deteriorated to the point where I can no longer interact with other people. I can only communicate via text message or social media platforms. And on those I mostly write in emojis.

Sent from my iPhone
    I've watched a train full of people, in New York of all places become almost completely silent with everyone looking down at their Smart phones. I have seen teenagers sitting across from one another texting back and forth and not speaking. I guess they really wanted their privacy. LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Erm I know who Paul McCartney is lol. I think everyone knows The Beatles, don't they? Especially in the UK. And I reckon most young people here know Marvin Gaye. Even if it is through the Charlie Puth song "Marvin Gaye"...
    Nope! There are plenty of young people that do not know who the Beatles were. They don't read about them, they don't tune into Oldies stations to hear them and they do not see them on television. Add to the fact that kids don't talk to their parents and vice versa much anymore. You might find the odd kid or young person that knows them and that will only be because they have a parent or grandparent that is a big Beatles fan.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-09-2018 at 02:51 PM.

One more example. This song, "Ain't Nobody" has gotten 309 million views on Youtube. Guess what? From the comments it is clear that most did not know that it was a remake of the Rufus featuring Chaka Khan hit from 1983! They had to be told!!!

A lot of them know who Marvin Gaye was now because of that lawsuit! Why do you think Robin Thicke and Pharrell were so embolden to put a record like "Blurred Lines" out? They thought that their audiences would not have known about the Marvin Gaye song and that everyone would have forgotten about "Got to Give It Up"!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I enjoy your posts RanRan but no I don't agree with the point about replacing Jean.

Many times BG would second guess himself at the last minute. He did this when it was time to release Mahogany [[wanted to can the whole movie) and on the release of What's Going On and several releases where Diana was concerned. Keep Me Hangin' On was to come out before Can't Hurry Love, but he swapped it.

I think, from talking to Mary and comments made by Cindy, that Gordy was more concerned with getting Diana out of the group with a hit and not paying much attention to Jean's attitude. On the night of Farewell Jean put him in his place, something BG didn't take well especially from a woman. I think he was dead serious about replacing her with Syreeta, without knowing or caring if Syreeta was really interested. I think the main reason Jean was saved was because when he got back to LA he found out Syreeta wanted to marry and work solely with Stevie, not interested in Supremes. The group had it's first single coming out in a few weeks so he was kinda stuck with Jean.

As far as how serious did talks with Syreeta go before deciding on Jean, they didn't go far. There was one meeting between Syreeta with Mary and Cindy, who both had already met Jean, and it was brief and decisive; they wanted Jean Terrell.
    wow. makes you wonder what the heck was going on during that last Farewell performance to piss Jean off and make her piss Gordy off. Cindy does mention that after all the tears and smiles, there was a big snit about something backstage. Can only imagine what it was!!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Ran, if you're on a PC or laptop, when replying to a message, click the "filmstrip" icon on the toolbar when you want to embed a video link. From a phone, you have to select "view full site" to access this function, as far as I know.
    Got it!! Thanks Sans!!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    wow. makes you wonder what the heck was going on during that last Farewell performance to piss Jean off and make her piss Gordy off. Cindy does mention that after all the tears and smiles, there was a big snit about something backstage. Can only imagine what it was!!
    Read above for what happened in one of my posts.

Paul McCartney and Marvin Gaye are LEGENDS.

Syreeta is only known to music aficionados and Motown stans [[like myself). BIG DIFFERENCE.

After the 2012 Grammy Awards, WBAB a very popular New York radio station had a call in special so that listeners could comment on the Grammys the night before. Several called in an asked "Who was Paul McCartney?" some even complimented Kanye West for giving "that old guy" a chance to record with him, etc,etc. I was shocked, the DJs were shocked. After i thought about it I was like why would these kids know Paul McCartney? He hadn't had anything on the radio that was popular for many, many years and he is in his mid 70s. I wasn't listening to artists of that age when I was in my teens, 20s, 30s etc..

Paul McCartney was even denied entrance to Tyga's Grammy After Party and the door security did not know who he was even after he and a few in his entourage told him!
    Yeah, find a few ignorant youngsters who have no clue who Paul is like that's a sign he don't have influence in today's scene. You do know Paul is a ROCK legend? Of course Tyga's pedophile ass don't know who he is. Don't generalize the youth like that, man.