[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    "Christina Aguliera oversings the National Anthem at Superbowl"

So do the following:

Mariah Carey [[QUEEN of the "Oversingers")
    Mary J. Blige
    Beyonce Knowles [[she's gotten much better at not overdoing it)
    Alicia Keys
    Rihanna
    Fantasia [[I hope she mature her style with age)
    Whitney Houston
    Joss Stone

...and so many other "wanna-be clones" today....

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Her second single, a song she wrote about her vagina, flopped.
    Sounds like it fluttered!

smark21
    lol!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    BTW, point of order - Christina already has a voice coach and she's no slouch.

http://www.myvoicecoach.com/bio.html
    Then Christina isn't paying attention with her faux soul over singing. The coach would be well advised to stop listing Aguliera as a student if she wants to attract business.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marxthespot_ View Post
    "Christina Aguliera oversings the National Anthem at Superbowl"

So do the following:

Mariah Carey [[QUEEN of the "Oversingers")
    Mary J. Blige
    Beyonce Knowles [[she's gotten much better at not overdoing it)
    Alicia Keys
    Rihanna
    Fantasia [[I hope she mature her style with age)
    Whitney Houston
    Joss Stone

...and so many other "wanna-be clones" today....
    I wouldn't call Rhianna an oversinger. But do you like any singers of the past 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    I apologize to you timmyfunk for that comment; I wasn't medicated, but the wine glass overfloweth. Again, I am sorry I made that statement. However, Christina did look like a transsexual last night.
    Apology accepted. Civility is always the way to go.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I wouldn't call Rhianna an oversinger. But do you like any singers of the past 20 years?
    And I wouldn't call Rhianna a singer either!!!!
    Last edited by topdiva1; 02-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    And iI wouldn't call Rhianna a singer either!!!!
    Gotta agree. The descriptive is questionable at best.

i know it was a typo but that iI hurts your eyes,one of those wierd things! i'm not mocking you topdiva,just an observation.
    i've had as mNY TYPO'S AS most peeples.
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-08-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spell check

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    i know it was a typo but that iI hurts your eyes,one of those wierd things! i'm not mocking you topdiva,just an observation.
    i've had as mNY TYPO'S AS most peeples.

And I thank you

miss_lish Guest
    I can see the day when singers will decline singing the National Athem at sporting events. It seems to be a no win situation for so many. The only one in recent memory who wasn't widely criticized was Whitney.

^ And the only criticism she got was for lip-syncing it. Beyonce lip-synced too. I think it's the cold. The cold's not good with singers.

No one has sung it better before or since Whitney Houston sang it at the Super Bowl in 1991! Baby didn't just knock it out of the park.............she knocked it out of the stratosphere! LOL! She was so good that they still play recording of her live version everyday on radio stations here in New York at 12 noon:

Christina is a good singer; but she did make an error and she was not well presented here. There are times when yelling and howling are in and times when it is not in. This is not a time when oversinging is popular.

Here's my new fave.....newly minted last week and her very own personal arrangement:

And after 10 run throughs

Added Note: One SDF member played a big part in this performance....and there's a chance that person is not aware of it. Later.

Here's a suggestion. Whoever is selected to sing the National Anthem,for the Super Bowl in the future, how about having a telepromter close by ?

smark21 Guest
    I can see the day when singers will decline singing the National Athem at sporting events. It seems to be a no win situation for so many. The only one in recent memory who wasn't widely criticized was Whitney.
    Most National Anthems go on without a hitch at sporting events. It's just when someone bombs, they really bomb. Christina is getting flack because her singing style was responsible for the missed words and her singing style is out of favor right now. And one reason why Whitney's is so revered is because at the time she sang it the US was going to war [[for the first time) in Iraq and it captured a moment of mindless patriotic milataristic fervor and Whitney and the Super Bowl were tools to fan those flames which they did to incredible effect.

Des:

Very nice! I see her Royal Highness is still at it & growing in the role.

Smark21:

Damn, that was a good one!

Interesting article, Juice. The part about the war metephors is trey sensitive, but I get the point. Btw, does everyone know the melody of the SSB was originally a British Pub ditty? Take a look:

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/anthem.htm

Hey Des, sign that young lady up for next year's Bowl!
    Last edited by chidrummer; 02-09-2011 at 12:53 PM.

miss_lish Guest
    Maybe Christina should play Aretha Franklin?

smark21 Guest
    Maybe Christina should play Aretha Franklin?
    Cate Blanchett played Bob Dylan in a movie a few years ago, so why not?!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    Interesting article, Juice. The part about the war metephors is trey sensitive, but I get the point. Btw, does everyone know the melody of the SSB was originally a British Pub ditty? Take a look:

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/anthem.htm

Hey Des, sign that young lady up for next year's Bowl!
    I knew it was based on an old English drinking song, but I bet some of the most impassioned defenders of the Star Spangled Banner and go on a self righteous patriotic attack against a singer who botches it [[such as Roseanne or Christina) and grandstand about how the singer should respect the intentions of the songwriter probably don't know the source of the music. In a sense, one can claim that Roseanne's version that she did 20 years ago before a baseball game was most true to the intentions of the composer of the music of the Star Spangled Banner because she sure performed it as if she were drunk and rowdy in an old English tavern.

Wow Des! So young and so talented. Good for her. She's going somewhere in the future.

As for the Superbowl, didn't watch it because I don't have a TV and so far don't want one!

Oldies

Has there ever been a male vocalist to sing the National Anthem for the Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Has there ever been a male vocalist to sing the National Anthem for the Super Bowl?
    Aaron Neville sang it along with Aretha Franklin at Super Bowl XL.

Thanks Reese

Thx guys,

Chi, ever since your comments on her performance a couple of years ago......she now tries to smile and gesture a bit more so people will know that she does in fact enjoy performing.....She's done it a few times since.....and usually references you.

And they've never forgotten the Drum notes you sent both of them from Wade In the Water, ages ago.

Oldies,

She performed this piece at 2 auditions for vocal scholarships a few weeks ago.....She's been offered one....but is waiting to hear from her first choice in a week or 2.

Article: Um, that's not a Genie in Christina Aguilera's Bottle

It sounds like Christina Aguilera rang in the New Year with exuberant cries of, “YOU DON’T KNOW ME!!!” The vocal powerhouse hosted a New Year’s Eve party and was a big old sloppy mess before the guests even arrived, sources tell Us. Who does she think she is? Britney?

“Christina was so wasted before her guests arrived [for a party] that her mother told her to lie down and sober up,” a source told Us [[via Celebitchy). “Christina yelled, ‘Who do you think you are?’ Then she called her brother’s girlfriend a whore. It was crazy!” Outrageous! Someone who has a music video where she’s handcuffed with a ball gag in her mouth should not be using the word “whore” lightly.

Us has plenty of other yarns about Christina’s outrageous booze benders: crying into vodka shots at bars, drowning her post-Super Bowl sorrows over a two day bender in Dallas, that old chestnut about threatening to fire her staff for suggesting she was drinking too much.

Apparently she’s always been a bit of a boozehound, but kicked it into high gear during her international tour to promote Burlesque. “Every city they went to--London, Tokyo--Christina was pretty drunk, and [Christina’s boyfriend] Matt [Rutler] had to carry her home,” a source says. This explains why every time Christina was snapped giving Cher a “youse the bestest” hug, Cher looks completely over it.