[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Might as well... we ain't going down that lane no doggone more...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Ha Ha! So while Eddie was delivering his obsession lines in the song simply from a professional stance, Diana was shrieking hers with a little more intensified passion! !
    Was Mary allowed at the session or was she on holiday? or maybe off with Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    She could have sung it to him when the Supremes guested on his show because he had long since dumped her by then i do believe?

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She could have sung it to him when the Supremes guested on his show because he had long since dumped her by then i do believe?
    How could she make him love her,he was basically giving the dog a bone, woof woof Tom stayed married to his wife Linda,poor Mary always the bridesmaid,cheers.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    How could she make him love her,he was basically giving the dog a bone, woof woof Tom stayed married to his wife Linda,poor Mary always the bridesmaid,cheers.
    Poor Mary always the underdog,literally,meant to say hehe.

Poor Mary - she gets a bit of a shit kicking at times - and on here, I think she gets it because of Marv

Brad and Andy seem to think she's a decent soul - so I try to give her the benefit of the doubt

It's hard being a Supremes fan with all of y'all bickering like old queens... meanwhile both Diana and Mary are enjoying their lives and careers not worrying about this ghetto mess lol

This was about a song, right?

Others people choose their behavior. It’s no one’s fault.

Not when it spills into a topic that had nothing to do with anything you find on Lipstick Alley...

Back to the original topic.. I always liked Bell and - though she didn't have many solo successes - she had a bunch with Blue Mink as well as her great backing vocals for Dusty, The Stones etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Back to the original topic.. I always liked Bell and - though she didn't have many solo successes - she had a bunch with Blue Mink as well as her great backing vocals for Dusty, The Stones etc.
    She was very talented. All of her solo albums contain some good moments, and some of her work with Blue Mink is well worth checking out.She was a regular on UK tv in the late 60's and early to mid 70's.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 03-21-2018 at 04:01 AM. Reason: not finished post

I don’t like Dee Dee’s voice and I don’t care how soulful it is. The soulfulnosity quotient is not as important to me as tone quality,interp and and believability - however I do enjoy many soulful singers very much. I love Diana on this song and consider it one of her few killer studio performances that year. She’s coy, flirtatious, sexy and brings life to the lyrics the other two, IMO, don’t even come close to. She and Eddie are superb together and brought rare platinum status to the fourth charting version of the song - while, mind you, the album was selling platinum as well. This was a gigantic hit.

Well you're right about one thing: you can feel the chemistry in the DR&TS/Tempts version. I feel Dee Dee didn't really wanna do the song hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Well you're right about one thing: you can feel the chemistry in the DR&TS/Tempts version. I feel Dee Dee didn't really wanna do the song hearing it.
    I love Dee Dee and would never criticise her, but i do not think she is heard at her best on this song. She provided us with many glorious moments which i will always treasure, but for me Madeline and Diana/Eddie handled it better.

Nothing tops Diana and Eddie. Its the best song by the Temps and Supremes IMO. I like Dee Dee's version but really don't care for Madeline's at all.

Originally Posted by jobeterob

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Who knows what Mary may or may not have sung to Tom privately, we do know what Diana belted out publicly toward Eddie:

"I'm gonna get you, I'm gonna get you.
    Look out boy, 'cause I'm gonna get you.I'm gonna make you love me.
    Ooo, yes I will.
    Yes I will.
    And I'm gonna MAKE YOU LOVE ME !!.
    Ooo, yes I will
    You know I will.
    Every breathe I take.
    And each and every step I make."

but just wondering, was that declaration recorded before , during, or after that reputed break-in attempt??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-25-2018 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME was #1 in Cashbox and Record World , but only peaked at #2 for two weeks in Billboard because of a certain spoiler [[?) that wouldn't relinquish the crown at the top . But Motown I don't think was too bothered by it.
    And as most members here likely know, that would be because Marvin Gaye was blocking its final ascent with his seven week dominance at the top with I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE.

Record World reported I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME as the country's Number One most favored record for three straight weeks.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-25-2018 at 02:38 AM.

With the odd exception, 60s Motown was at its best on recordings of songs written by in-house Motown writers, and there is nothing about "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" to make me change that opinion.