[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Madeline Bell Charted Top 40 With It First : I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME

When Dusty Springfield passed on it, her back up singer took it on:

Fifty years ago: March 1968
    Peak Billboard Hot 100 position: #26

Wonder why Dusty turned it down , her sound definitely comes through on it [[& she's providing back-up ).
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-15-2018 at 09:49 PM.

That was a pleasant enough sounding record. I remember it being on the radio a few times back then.

She does a nice job of it, but she was not the first to record it as Dee Dee Warwick had a much less successful single out on it in ‘66. I think it peaked at #85 on Billboard. It’s nowhere near as good as Madalyn’s version, but hers pales to Ross and Eddie who both gave stellar performances. Superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    When Dusty Springfield passed on it, her back up singer took it on:

Fifty years ago: March 1968
    Peak Billboard Hot 100 position: #26

Wonder why Dusty turned it down , her sound definitely comes through on it [[& she's providing back-up ).
    I always loved this version and cannot for the life of me understand why Dusty passed on it. Dee Dee Warwick did a reasonable version too, but i prefer this one or the Supremes/Temps version.

I prefer Dee Dee's version as much as Supremes/Tempts. Madeline's version is good too though.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Great video. That is the first time seeing Madeline Bell sing/perform. Thanks Reese!

Dee Dee's sounds good too. She was a great singer!

The Temptations even did a great job with the song without the Supremes! Eddie Kendricks was just the greatest!

I was gonna say that the Tempts should've done the song themselves. Would've been better. Probably an unpopular opinion in these parts but I never liked the group pairings be it Supremes and the Tempts or Supremes and the Tops... I don't know why, I just didn't.

But I think of the versions, I loved Dee Dee's most of all.

Madeline did a smart vocal on this - she keeps it soft and seductive and is all the more effective for it. I love Dee Dee Warwick but I've always felt her version was keyed a little too high for her, leaving her voice sounding strained on the upper part of the song. I guess the rationale was that the rendition would have more urgency that way. After the surprise success of Dee Dee's "I Want to Be With You", the producers should have used the softer side of her voice more effectively on the follow-up. The backing track on Warwick's version is better, though.

Last edited by smallworld; 03-16-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Gladys Knight's vocal is probably my favourite. It's a shame the arrangement on her version is a little on the bland side.
    Last edited by smallworld; 03-16-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Dee Dee should've had bigger success than she did but she was always in Dionne's shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I was gonna say that the Tempts should've done the song themselves. Would've been better. Probably an unpopular opinion in these parts but I never liked the group pairings be it Supremes and the Tempts or Supremes and the Tops... I don't know why, I just didn't.

I agree. The Temptations should have done that song by themselves. Diane doesn't really add much to it and Mary and Cindy are buried in the background.

Dee Dee should've had bigger success than she did but she was always in Dionne's shadow.
    Exactly! She was always with the wrong labels that couldn't do much for her.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Gladys Knight's vocal is probably my favourite. It's a shame the arrangement on her version is a little on the bland side.
    Diane does sound strained. I know she and Gladys would both agree that Gladys is a far superior vocalist. I am loving this version. Thank you Smallwood! Gladys is just too much! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The Temptations even did a great job with the song without the Supremes! Eddie Kendricks was just the greatest!

I created an mp3 from this a few years back because I loved it so much. The Tempts could've had a hit with it alone.

Who cares about popular? You have your preferences the same as the rest of us and most of us don't mind it at all. I love the Sups/Tempts version but I suspect that if I had heard DeeDee's before the hit version, it might get the edge in my heart. As it stands they run neck and neck.

Madeline did a smart vocal on this - she keeps it soft and seductive and is all the more effective for it. I love Dee Dee Warwick but I've always felt her version was keyed a little too high for her, leaving her voice sounding strained on the upper part of the song. I guess the rationale was that the rendition would have more urgency that way. After the surprise success of Dee Dee's "I Want to Be With You", the producers should have used the softer side of her voice more effectively on the follow-up. The backing track on Warwick's version is better, though.
    Dee Dee does sound strained and I like it that way. Where Diana and Eddie, both beautiful vocalists, sound like lovers making a declaration to one another, more as affirmation of what they both already know and feel, Dee Dee sounds like she is in action mode, using every fiber of her being to let this dude know that she gonna have his ass so he might as well stop trippin. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Dee Dee does sound strained and I like it that way. [...] Dee Dee sounds like she is in action mode, using every fiber of her being to let this dude know that she gonna have his ass so he might as well stop trippin. Lol
    My problem is that she sounds strained to the point of her voice sounding weak and about to give out. Like I said, it was probably deliberate, but it doesn't work for me. Your summation sounds much more like Dee Dee on "Foolish Fool", where she sounds emphatic, strong and unbridled interpretively but in control in terms of her technique. I don't think it's coincidental that Dee Dee was Grammy nominated for "Foolish Fool", but not for "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me".

I created an mp3 from this a few years back because I loved it so much. The Tempts could've had a hit with it alone.
    Just Eddie's vocal runs here and on the record sold me! He truly was pure talent. A vocalist in the purest form!

My problem is that she sounds strained to the point of her voice sounding weak and about to give out. Like I said, it was probably deliberate, but it doesn't work for me. Your summation sounds much more like Dee Dee on "Foolish Fool", where she sounds emphatic, strong and unbridled interpretively but in control in terms of her technique. I don't think it's coincidental that Dee Dee was Grammy nominated for "Foolish Fool", but not for "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me".

This is what I called CLASSIC GOLD! This is the type of music that should be on the radio today! She killed it!

This is what I called CLASSIC GOLD! This is the type of music that should be on the radio today! She killed it!
    She killed it and took me to church!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    She killed it and took me to church!
    Totally, didn't she? Music is suppose to make you feel something.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    She does a nice job of it, but she was not the first to record it as Dee Dee Warwick had a much less successful single out on it in ‘66. I think it peaked at #85 on Billboard. It’s nowhere near as good as Madalyn’s version, but hers pales to Ross and Eddie who both gave stellar performances. Superb.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  21.1 KB
    I've always liked Dee Dee's version much, much better than any other. It's in my Top 100 all time songs out of several hundred thousand in my collection. That's saying a lot!

I agree. I love Dee Dee and it is criminal that she did not attain more commercial success, but her version is my least favorite personally. He voice just does not sound as comfortable as it does on much of her other material. Gladys does a fine job vocally as always on her version, but for me the emotion expressed by Diana and Eddie or Madeline give those versions the edge for me, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is no right or wrong view.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 03-17-2018 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Not finished my post

I agree. I love Dee Dee and it is criminal that she did not attain more commercial success, but her version is my least favorite personally. He voice just does not sound as comfortable as it does on much of her other material. Gladys does a fine job vocally as always on her version, but for me the emotion expressed by Diana and Eddie or Madeline give those versions the edge for me, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is no right or wrong view.

Dee Dee's Foolish Fool. LOVE THAT SONG so much...
    Last edited by midnightman; 03-17-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Who cares about popular? You have your preferences the same as the rest of us and most of us don't mind it at all. I love the Sups/Tempts version but I suspect that if I had heard DeeDee's before the hit version, it might get the edge in my heart. As it stands they run neck and neck.
    I know but I just wanted to add that just in case people scream "wait a minute, you can't say that!" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  21.1 KB
    I've always liked Dee Dee's version much, much better than any other. It's in my Top 100 all time songs out of several hundred thousand in my collection. That's saying a lot!
    That says a whole lot Robb....wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The Supremes and Temptations version was all Eddie Kendricks when came to conveying emotion and soul. They could have used any female singer with Eddie and it would have been a hit.

I know but I just wanted to add that just in case people scream "wait a minute, you can't say that!" LOL

You're just going to have to toughen up more! LOL!!!!

Dee Dee for me everytime ... much better than the insipid Motown versions.

You're just going to have to toughen up more! LOL!!!!
    "Oh I'm tough enough" - Whitney Houston

"Oh I'm tough enough" - Whitney Houston

Good! It is okay not to love everything a certain artist does! LOL!!!!

^ Well I'm a Motown fan for life. If there were things I don't like from "certain artists", I let it be known and I have but that's for another topic.

Also I'm still a fan of that "certain artist" so let's not go there lol

Thanks for all the input about this song !

I'm aware of Madeline Bell because of her disco work with artists like Donna Summer, Cerrone etc..
    I didn't know until recently she'd once had a hit on her own [[ and one time only) , especially by having the jump on this song that months later would become a Motown classic ! I was so impressed that's why I wanted to build this thread about this song around her.

The original Dee Dee Warwick version is also excellent. Seems impossible it didn't become a bigger crossover hit . It did reach #13 R&B. Madeline's @ #33 R&B.
    I think I prefer both these versions over the Temps /Supremes one that features two shrill voices that I normally love, but in combination for me just becomes shrill overload.

Wiki says the [[prominent) background singers on Dee Dee's are Ashford & Simpson , and does anyone else think I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME has their sound?? Possibly singing on this influenced their own future style???

And as for Madeline,
    this is my favorite of hers :

Beautiful. Touches my heart each time .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-18-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Dee Dee returned the favour by covering "All That Love Went to Waste", which Madeline sang in the movie "A Touch of Class". Madeline's doesn't really sound like a single, though it was released on 45. I imagine it received some play on AC/Easy Listening, but not much interest at Top 40. I give this round to Warwick.

Last edited by smallworld; 03-18-2018 at 02:01 AM.

I quite like this, the title track to Miss Bell's album on RCA. I don't think it's ever received a CD release.

The Supremes and Temptations version was all Eddie Kendricks when came to conveying emotion and soul. They could have used any female singer with Eddie and it would have been a hit.
    In your opinion maybe but not mine. Just imagine Mary Wilson attempting it! That prospect would be more than sufficient to make a pig squeal. Thank heavens i am not aware of any attempt by her to sing it.

In your opinion maybe but not mine. Just imagine Mary Wilson attempting it! That prospect would be more than sufficient to make a pig squeal. Thank heavens i am not aware of any attempt by her to sing it.
    She could maybe do the “talk/sing” thing she does when she can’t reach notes

Oh come on. Everyone knows Diana Ross never had any soul in her voice other than what Berry Gordy and his producers put there. She is not in Dee Dee Warwick's league.

I had never heard the versions by Madeline Bell and Dee Dee Warwick before... they were both nice, although I preferred Dee Dee's which sticks closer to the Supremes/Tempts version I think.

Of course that version is the one I know and love, and I still love it. My fave out of the three. IMO Diana and Eddie [[and Otis, lol) are both perfect on it... love the emotion in their voices. Such a beautiful and classic song!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I had never heard the versions by Madeline Bell and Dee Dee Warwick before... they were both nice, although I preferred Dee Dee's which sticks closer to the Supremes/Tempts version I think.

Of course that version is the one I know and love, and I still love it. My fave out of the three. IMO Diana and Eddie [[and Otis, lol) are both perfect on it... love the emotion in their voices. Such a beautiful and classic song!
    It's the other way around. Dee Dee's was first the Temptations and Supremes came several years later so they probably were trying to stick closer to Dee Dee Warwick's version.

It's the other way around. Dee Dee's was first the Temptations and Supremes came several years later so they probably were trying to stick closer to Dee Dee Warwick's version.
    Yea sorry Marv I meant that Dee Dee's version sounds more like The Supremes/Tempts one, not that it copied them.

Wiki says the [[prominent) background singers on Dee Dee's are Ashford & Simpson , and does anyone else think I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME has their sound?? Possibly singing on this influenced their own future style???

To answer my own question , I'll give the answer a yes , since it is Nick Ashford that then one day produces [[with Frank Wilson) the Supremes/ Temptations version using the sound of the Warwick version as its prototype.

I actually find the sentiment of the song a little creepy psycho. You can't "make" someone love you no matter how loud you wail it , and to approach a relationship with that mindset seems possessively domineering . When it comes to love , there's no forcing it , they either do or they don't, although there's every advantage to "earning" it, which is a different mindset.

Maybe that's why the Kendricks/Ross angle is more successful. You've got the two equally shouting the same intentions at each other. At least this way they are on equal footing as to where they are coming from , instead of one sounding like an obsessed stalker.

I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME was #1 in Cashbox and Record World , but only peaked at #2 for two weeks in Billboard because of a certain spoiler [[?) that wouldn't relinquish the crown at the top . But Motown I don't think was too bothered by it.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-19-2018 at 04:56 PM.

To answer my own question , I'll give the answer a yes , since it is Nick Ashford that then one day produces [[with Frank Wilson) the Supremes/ Temptations version using the sound of the Warwick version as its prototype.

I actually find the sentiment of the song a little creepy psycho. You can't "make" someone love you no matter how loud you wail it , and to approach a relationship with that mindset seems possessively domineering . When it comes to love , there's no forcing it , they either do or they don't, although there's every advantage to "earning" it, which is a different mindset.

Maybe that's why the Kendricks/Ross angle is more successful. You've got the two equally shouting the same intentions at each other. At least this way they are on equal footing as to where they are coming from , instead of one sounding like an obsessed stalker.

I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME was #1 in Cashbox and Record World , but only peaked at #2 for two weeks in Billboard because of a certain spoiler [[?) that wouldn't relinquish the crown at the top . But Motown I don't think was too bothered by it.
    Well according to Eddie Kendrick's ex-wife on Unsung, Diana Ross acted like an obsessed stalker when it came to her husband Eddie Kendricks. She tried breaking into their house one night trying to get to him.

Ha Ha! So while Eddie was delivering his obsession lines in the song simply from a professional stance, Diana was shrieking hers with a little more intensified passion! !
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-19-2018 at 10:18 PM.