[REMOVE ADS]

Mari Wilson and Mary Wilson

Given that their names are near identical, did both Wilsons suffer from being confused with the other? Imagine buying tickets for one thinking you're to see the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    Given that their names are near identical, did both Wilsons suffer from being confused with the other? Imagine buying tickets for one thinking you're to see the other.
    Having never heard Mary Wilson sing solo at the time, I remember thinking they were the same artists until I saw Mari on Top Of The Pops in 1982 singing her hit 'Just What I Always Wanted'. The song had a sixties vibe and would have suited Mary. I remember radio stations commenting that Mari was not a former member of the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post

Not in America. Not a chance. There was a "3rd Meri Wilson" that had a popular novelty song called "Telephone Man" in 1977.

Never knew about Mari Wilson.

Mari Wilson has played in the USA, and yes, there was a Detroit gig with some disgruntled ticket buyers.
    Last edited by smallworld; 03-11-2018 at 03:42 PM.

And there is also Mary Wilson the Opera Singer

http://www.memphis.edu/music/fac-sta...s/wilson-m.php

I used to think that Mary used the Supremes' name in her billings as way for recognition. But I guess she also had to seperate herself from the other Mary Wilsons.

I once suggested that she give herself a fake middle intial to seperate herself from the other Marys. I like Mary K. Wilson.

Michael B Jordan had to give himself a middle intial. And Michael J Fox had to give himself a middle intial because actor's equity already had a Michael Fox.

Yeah. I like Mary K Wilson better than Mary Wilson of the Supremes. But, so what. It seems to have worked for her.

Kathryn? Never knew her middle name. Vanessa Williams and Vanessa _ Williams

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I forgot Mary's middle name. She doesn't need to do anything. She is the most famous "Mary Wilson" on Earth. All she needs to do is keep doing what she is doing!

The real shame of it all for Motown fans is that Meri Wilson had a semblance of a solo hit and Mary Wilson of the Supremes didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I don't think Mary has a middle name. I just like the sound of Mary K Wilson.

A bit off subject, but some people add a middle initial to their name and it stands for nothing. So there is no period after the initial.
    Michael B Jordan
    Michael J Fox

and even a President of the United States
    Harry S Truman

FYI, the B in Michael B. Jordan stands for Bakari.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    FYI, the B in Michael B. Jordan stands for Bakari.
    Thank you for the correction. In an interview, I heard him say that he added the middle intial because of the confusion there would be with Michael Jordan. But I see that it was his actual initial of his middle name.

And now you have me checking on other stuff I said
    Harry S Truman did have a middle initial, but it did not stand for anything. Could I be half right on that ?

From Wikopedia

His parents chose the name Harry after his mother's brother, Harrison "Harry" Young [[1846–1916). While the "S" did not stand for any one name, it was chosen as his middle initial to honor both of his grandfathers, Anderson Shipp Truman and Solomon Young.

And Michael J Fox was born as Michael Andrew Fox, but there was already a Michael Fox and Michael A. Fox, so he chose Michael J Fox as his professional name.

Again, thanks for the info on Michael B.[[with a period) Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    And there is also Mary Wilson the Opera Singer

http://www.memphis.edu/music/fac-sta...s/wilson-m.php

I used to think that Mary used the Supremes' name in her billings as way for recognition. But I guess she also had to seperate herself from the other Mary Wilsons.

I once suggested that she give herself a fake middle intial to seperate herself from the other Marys. I like Mary K. Wilson.

Michael B Jordan had to give himself a middle intial. And Michael J Fox had to give himself a middle intial because actor's equity already had a Michael Fox.

Yeah. I like Mary K Wilson better than Mary Wilson of the Supremes. But, so what. It seems to have worked for her.
    Mary needs to use the Supremes name for her billing to get work. Shes earned the right use that name and if it gets her wiork then i say use it.

No problem Milven! Yes, you get partial credit for your partially correct answers.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    and even a President of the United States
    Harry S Truman
    2 presidents ... Ullysses S. Grant did as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I forgot Mary's middle name. She doesn't need to do anything. She is the most famous "Mary Wilson" on Earth. All she needs to do is keep doing what she is doing!
    Sorry to disagree with you Marv, but the most famous Mary Wilson was the wife of U.K. prime minister, Harold Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Sorry to disagree with you Marv, but the most famous Mary Wilson was the wife of U.K. prime minister, Harold Wilson
    I have never heard of harold wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I would rarely agree with Marv - but I had no idea Harold Wilson also had a Mary Wilson!

Our Mary Wilson is famous; it's just limited to old time soul music afficianado's and I guess if you go to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, one would hope the names are listed and highlighted.

It's very ironic how the background singer battle became so highlighted at Motown.

I still can recall my shock when I found out the Supremes didn't sing on so many of the songs. And I see Louvain Demps pushing pretty hard for recognition of her group.

Didn't her manager tell her "uh ma'am, you may wanna change your name, people may think you're one of the Supremes"?

That'll be like if I was gonna perform and my name happened to be Mark Bollen and someone is like "wait, ain't you from T-Rex?"

Awkward.

Well nowadays people know only one Mary Wilson and she's a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee.

If I have made Jobeterob agree with Marv on something, my work here is done lol.