[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Oh, No! Here's another Supremes' question

Being that I have been such a Supremes fan since the beginning, I feel embarassed to ask this question. We know they made their first Sullivan appearance in December of 1964 with "Come See About Me." When [[or at least what song ) was their next appearance on the show. I am thinking it was "My World is Empty Without You" around February of 1966. My source books are not available right now. I ask because if it was "My World is Empty," that would mean that they didn't appear at all in 1965. We know they appeared many times between 1966-1969 [[DMF,C).

They did appear in 1965 and performed "You're Nobody, Till Somebody Loves You".

Here is that appearance:

If I'm not mistaken, they were suppose to perform "Nothing But Heartaches" too, but due to time constraints it was cut in favor of Gordy wanting to showcase the ladies' versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, they were suppose to perform "Nothing But Heartaches" too, but due to time constraints it was cut in favor of Gordy wanting to showcase the ladies' versatility.
    I don't know. I do remember that the Supremes were on TV almost every week, sometimes twice in a week on one show or another in '65.

Berry Gordy is ridiculous. Should've done NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES. They couldn't do many standards well. Only the Tops could.

^ Uh oh watch your back, you're not supposed to say the Supremes can't do standards well here... lol

Hoping not to start a thing - LOL - but I love the way they do "You're Nobody..." even more since I've heard the previously unreleased versions. I think they added a lot of verve to the song and the presentation of it in their act was a lot of fun to watch.

i am not a big fan of standards , but I do like some. I do think the Supremes did well with their standards. I like the Sing rogers and hart lp.
    I do think that Berry forcing them to sing a standard instead of their recent single cost them as NBH only made number 11, not that its a flop, I think had they performed their song it could have moved higher up the chart,... I actually like it and it remains a favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thank you marv2. Although I've seen this performance many times, I had forgotten when it was performed due to the fact that I always associated a hit single to be performed along with a standard. As others are posting, this was quite a calibrated risk, in my opinion, to be able to do one song and you do a standard. All in all, however, apparently it worked because the Supremes continued to rise in popularity and record sales.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ Uh oh watch your back, you're not supposed to say the Supremes can't do standards well here... lol

That's right. You can't say that. "Jesus, build a fence around me right now." LOL

Here is that appearance:

Oh, how they evolved from those innocent sweet girls next door [[December 1964 "Come See About Me) to these sophisticated, glamorous women less than a year later!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i am not a big fan of standards , but I do like some. I do think the Supremes did well with their standards. I like the Sing rogers and hart lp.
    I do think that Berry forcing them to sing a standard instead of their recent single cost them as NBH only made number 11, not that its a flop, I think had they performed their song it could have moved higher up the chart,... I actually like it and it remains a favorite of mine.
    By the time of this October 1965 appearance, NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES had already peaked and was probably falling down the chart. Even though it is has been written that HEARTACHES was ditched in favor of NOBODY, IMO, it is more likely that it was I HEAR A SYMPHONY that was ditched, as it had just been released.

I am not a big fan of standards but I do think that the Supremes did an admirable job with standards.

The Four Tops were made for standards, true. But I also think the Tempts did fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Oh, how they evolved from those innocent sweet girls next door [[December 1964 "Come See About Me) to these sophisticated, glamorous women less than a year later!!!
    It is amazing when you think how young they were at the time, and especially how Diane could sing standards with as much authority as she did. I think the "Rodgers and Hart" album is pleasant but not outstanding, but on "You're Nobody...," the Sam Cooke album, and some other such tracks, I think she truly excelled.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I am not a big fan of standards but I do think that the Supremes did an admirable job with standards.

The Four Tops were made for standards, true. But I also think the Tempts did fine as well.
    Yet it was only Marvin Gaye who originally wanted to do only standards type material. Go figure.

Them doing the standards on Ed Sullivan probably played a part in why NBH peaked when it did... but then again, maybe we wouldn't have had I Hear a Symphony?

Yet it was only Marvin Gaye who originally wanted to do only standards type material. Go figure.
    And that was when Motown was still a startup company. You have to admire someone having guts like that to say "I wanna be a standards artist". At the age of just 21, no less [[same ages the Supremes were when they started doing standards; well 20-21 technically since they recorded songs like People a year before so Motown was indeed preparing them for the white nightclub circuit)...

The Four Tops recorded a lot of standards and jazz material before signing with Motown.

funny how 3 of my favs, Heartaches, My World Is Empty, Itching In My Heart, seem to be the 3 that got the least pr of all their hits.

^ I'm still mad about MWIE and Itching being as low as it was. ESPECIALLY Itching!!! LOVE THAT SONG!

funny how 3 of my favs, Heartaches, My World Is Empty, Itching In My Heart, seem to be the 3 that got the least pr of all their hits.
    They all were big hits with Nothing But Heartaches barely missing the Top Ten at a #11 position. They are also probably more popular with Supremes/Motown fans than say "Baby Love".

Then what was keeping NBH from reaching the top ten, if not #1? And why did they not release Mother Dear [[another one of my Supremes favs)?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    By the time of this October 1965 appearance, NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES had already peaked and was probably falling down the chart. Even though it is has been written that HEARTACHES was ditched in favor of NOBODY, IMO, it is more likely that it was I HEAR A SYMPHONY that was ditched, as it had just been released.
    In Mary Wilson's itinerary in 'Dreamgirl My Life As A Supreme', Mary lists the October 10, 1965 performance as being ''I Hear A Symphony'' and "You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You". Although Mary' list has a number of inaccuracies, she may well be right here as to which 2 songs were scheduled, although only the 2nd was actually performed.

Many years ago someone who worked for the Sullivan Show told me they cut Nothing But Heartaches but looking at the facts now, he could have been mistaken. Since I Hear A Symphony was released on Oct 6 and the girls appeared on Sullivan on the 10th, it would have made sense to debut the song on the program. They did however perform it for the first time on Oct 18 on Hullabaloo. I believe the first appearance with Come See About Me was also supposed to be two songs.

My recollection is that they performed "I Hear A Symphony" first, and later in the show they did "You're Nobody." I could almost swear to this.

Then what was keeping NBH from reaching the top ten, if not #1? And why did they not release Mother Dear [[another one of my Supremes favs)?
    I don't know. I was only like 5 or6 years old at the time. LOL!!!!

"Nothing But heartaches" was generally regarded as being too derivative of its predecessor, "Back in My Arms Again," and it's opined that this is what probably kept it from topping the charts.

"Mother Dear" was test-played regionally [[as was "Honey Boy" — at least where I was living) and apparently neither was deemed hit-worthy. They even performed "Mother Dear" on a couple of variety shows, I suppose to test audience response. It probably was a good thing neither song became a single, since both were pretty formulaic HDH tunes. Decent hooks but on the whole rather unimaginative. The lyrics were very juvenile, and there had been enough of this by that time. This left the way clear for the more mature "I Hear A Symphony."
    Last edited by BigAl; 03-10-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I believe the first appearance with Come See About Me was also supposed to be two songs.
    In an interview, Diana confirmed that they were supposed to sing two songs on the first Sullivan appearance. She said she felt bad and wondered if maybe they took one of the songs out because she didn't sing strong enough at rehearsal. But she said that often the Sullivan producers would ask new acts to prepare two songs but would then cut one out by airtime.

Mother Dear is fantastic. Poor decisions as usual.

As usual??? Really??? They only changed musical and cultural history forever with those usual bad decisions. Did they make mistakes? Yes. Do I agree with every decision of the 200 billion decisions they had to make? No. But geez........ give them a break.

As as for Mother Dear? No way would that have hit. It’s a mamby-pamby lyric with a decent enough track, but standard HDH fare at best. Even Honey Boy would have fared better - top ten perhaps IMHO - because I think it might have clicked well with the preteen and teen girl demo.

‘’Brilliant decision: wait for a smash instead of taking chances and hold out for the fastest rising single in Ross history, I Hear A Symphony. 39-12-6-1.

i think Nothing But Heartaches suffered a bit from lack of TV exposure, the album hitting and siphoning sales from 45s and, as mentioned, it was slightly derivative of its predecessor. Also, the melody of the verse is practically nonexistent.

Another interesting tidbit for NBH’s ”poor showing” - Motown had trouble with its singles that summer. Only one top ten between Back In My Arms Again and I Hear A Symphony.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    In my opinion, this was not Diana's strongest performance of You're Nobody Until Circa Loves You. The camera went too quickly to Flo's spoken line, which showed everyone it was planned. Also, why the hell did she talk about shopping? Did she go off script?

But, the Hullabaloo performance rocked.

I never liked Mother Dear, and was shocked to recently learn it was almost a single release. Diana's vocal was great, but the backup vocals were horrible - shrill and unpleasant. It would have stalled at number 32
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-15-2018 at 08:58 PM.

If this performance was October 10, 1965, perhaps the push for the "Somebody" performance was in preparation for "At the Copa" LP being released a few weeks later?

and - according to Mary's book - I Hear A Symphony [[both on October 10).

During a chunk of 1965 of course, they had been in Europe & The UK doing 'The Sounds of Motown' special as well as touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    and - according to Mary's book - I Hear A Symphony [[both on October 10).

During a chunk of 1965 of course, they had been in Europe & The UK doing 'The Sounds of Motown' special as well as touring.
    The also appeared on many America television programs in 1965.

The also appeared on many America television programs in 1965.
    Does anybody have the complete list of Ed Sullivan performances?

This is what I have in my head, in the order that I have in my head!
    Does anyone have any corrections for me? I put slashes to designate when more than one performance is from the same show!

Come See About Me
    You’re Nobody ‘Till Somebody Loves You
    My World is Empty Without You Babe / Somewhere
    Love is Like an Itchin’ In My Heart / More
    You Can’t Hurry Love / I Hear a Symphony Medley
    Medley of Hits / My Favorite Things [[pink gowns...when was this?)
    You Keep Me Hanging On
    Love is Here and Now You’re Gone
    Reflections
    The Happening / Millie Rose Mame Medley
    In and Out of Love / Green Sleeves
    Forever Came Today / Fats Waller Medley
    Always / Irving Berling Medley
    I’m Losing You Medley with The Temptations
    Love Child [[first time)
    Funny Girl Medley [[when was this?)
    Love Child [[pink clothes) / I’m Living in Shame / Cornet Man [[was this the same show?)
    I Get a Kick Out of You
    I’m Living in Shame / You’re Nobody ‘Till Somebody Loves You / Impossible Dream / No Matter What Sign You Are
    Someday We’ll Be Together
    Up the Ladder to the Roof / If My Friends Could See Me Now
    Last edited by imakicola; 03-21-2018 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post

Does anyone have any corrections for me? I put slashes to designate when more than one performance is from the same show!

Come See About Me
    You Keep Me Hanging On
    Reflections
    Love Child [[first time)
    Love Child [[pink clothes) / I’m Living in Shame / Cornet Man [[was this the same show?)
    I Get a Kick Out of You
    I’m Living in Shame / You’re Nobody ‘Till Somebody Loves You / Impossible Dream / No Matter What Sign You Are
    Your list is basically complete, based on what I've seen on Supremes/Sullivan compilations I have had.

a) Medley of Hits / My Favorite Things [[pink gowns...when was this?) Christmas 1966

b) You Keep Me Hangin' On, and Reflections were only performed on Sullivan as part of medleys.

c) Love Is Here was never performed on Sullivan.

d) In and Out of Love / Green Sleeves and the medley with The Temptations are from the same show

e) Love Child [[first time) and Funny Girl Medley are from the same show, September 1968.

f) Love Child [[pink clothes) / I’m Living in Shame / I Get a Kick Out of You are from the same show.

g) Cornet Man is from a Bob Hope special

h) You’re Nobody ‘Till Somebody Loves You / Impossible Dream / No Matter What Sign You Are are from the same show

i) A hits medley and Someday We'll Be Together are from the same show [[Diana's final appearance).
    Last edited by reese; 03-21-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Come See About Me
    You Keep Me Hanging On
    Reflections
    Love Child [[first time)
    I Get a Kick Out of You
    I don't remember them making separate appearances to perform:

You Keep Me Hanging On
    Reflections

I don't remember them making separate appearances to perform:

You Keep Me Hanging On
    Reflections
    correct - they didn't launch or support every single with a Sullivan appearance.

YKMHO - launched on the Hollywood Palace video while also doing Somewhere and What Now My Love [[with Herb Alpert). It was then used in both hits medleys on Sullivan and Andy williams

LIHANYG - launched on Andy Williams show. they also did a revised medley [[from the Sullivan medley) of their greatest hits. then they did Let There Be Love with Andy

Reflections - launched on Hollywood Palace and was cindy's TV debut. Also did sounds of the city with Sammy Davis Jr. Reflections was also performed in full on Tennessee Ernie Ford special

Oh wow! Thank you! Let’s see if I got this straight [[revising from my original post):

COME SEE ABOUT ME
    [[Supremes’ debut on Sullivan, blue gowns broadcast in black and white, but corrected to pink in later broadcasts)

YOU’RE NOBODY ‘TILL SOMEBODY [[first)
    [[Purple gowns)

MY WORLD IS EMPTY / SOMEWHERE
    [[Pale pink gowns)

LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING / MORE
    [[Yellow gowns)

YOU CAN’T HURRY LOVE / SYMPHONY MELODY
    [[Silver glittery gowns in front of colored oval window panes)

FIRST MEDLEY OF HITS / FAVORITE THINGS
    [[Christmas show, pink gowns)

THE HAPPENING / MILLIE ROSE MAME
    [[Yellow gowns followed by medley costumes, Florence Ballard’s final performance on Sullivan)

IN AND OUT OF LOVE / GREEN SLEEVES / TEMPTATIONS MEDLEY
    [[Translucent nightgowns, then weird Green Sleeves outfit, then flashy Temptations medley outfits, Cindy Birdsong’s debut on Sullivan)
    In and Out of Love / Green Sleeves / Temptations Medley [[Cindy Birdsong’s debut)

FOREVER CAME TODAY / FATS WALLER MEDLEY
    [[Black gowns, then medley costumes)

ALWAYS / IRVING BERLING MEDLEY
    [[Black and white gowns, followed by white gowns, featuring Ethel Merman)

LOVE CHILD [[first) / FUNNY GIRL MEDLEY
    [[Love Child outfit, followed by white gowns)

LOVE CHILD [[second) / LIVING IN SHAME [[first) / GET A KICK
    [[Pink outfits, followed by tuxedos)

LIVING IN SHAME [[second) / YOU’RE NOBODY ‘TILL SOMEBODY LOVES YOU [[second) / IMPOSSIBLE DREAM / NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE
    [[Glittery outfits, followed by No Matter What Sign You Are outfits)
    This seems like a lot of performances in one show. Am I confusing the “Living in Shame” with another performance from maybe Hollywood Palace or something?

FINAL HITS MEDLEY / SOMEDAY WE’LL BE TOGETHER
    [[Yellow outfits with Mary’s voices catching in Diana’s mic toward the end, Diana Ross’s final performance on Sullivan)

UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF / IF MY FRIENDS COULD SEE ME NOW
    [[Red glittery outfits, Jean Terrell’s final performance)

they only did Shame that one time on Sullivan. for that later Sullivan performance it was You're Nobody and Impossible Dream in the gold gowns. and then No Matter is those silver spangled jumpsuits

in the final Diana performance there are a few more "fun facts"
    *this was shortly after Cindy's release from the hospital following her kidnapping ordeal. if you look closely at her face and in the close up during Love Child, you can see that the makeup doesn't fully conceal the bruising
    *as M and C do their circle around Diana in the Symphony closing of the medley, Cindy slightly stumbles on Diana's mic chord
    *Diana's mystery mic - this one is good lol watch the top of her mike during the medley up through Love Child when they cut to M and C. then when they go back to Diana the top is gone!! was it a quick snack? did it fall off? did she rip it off and throw it at the producers? lolol who knows. I've wondered if they taped 2 versions of the medley and that was a cut between the two and she used 2 different mics for the two versions.

some other Sullivan folk-lore with the Sups

*the "Diana ross will be fired for this" comment before their debut of Love Child was supposedly because they weren't quite back on stage and ready after changing from their white gowns from the Funny Girl medley. they had to pause the broadcast slightly and Ed made that joke

*Ed loved the girls, especially Diana. several times he'd make comments after they performed like "they're great!" A few years ago I posted a bunch of their clips on YouTube including the Fats Waller one. I left Ed's comment in at the very end. he also often promoted their Copa appearances

*there are pics of their rehearsal of the Thou Swell medley. originally they were going to wear medieval princess costumes. pics show M and C in these testing them. fortunately the opted not to do this for broadcast

*I believe the Come See About Me clip was originally broadcast in both color and b&w. but only the b&w survives

*You Can't Hurry Love - you can see Diana glance down as she's walking during the first verse. she slightly went over her "mark" and the glance down is to see where her tape is. she shifts slightly over to in to continue the verse. this allowed her to be perfectly lined up between M and F for the camera angle when they sing the second chorus and she walks towards them

*of course you've probably seen the earring fall off during YCHL. at the very end of song when they're bowing and before they walk across stage to do Symphony medley, she throws the earring off stage

*Itching in my heart - Mary wasn't anticipating Diana shouting "Go Mary!" during the dance break. watch her facial expression lol

*lots of angst has been made about how Diana would cover the girls' faces - Cindy has been quoted saying this, Tony Turner made a stink about it. out of every tv performance I've seen, the only time this really happens is at end of Funny Girl medley. there are a few times where maybe someone is a little blocked by an end pose/arms up. but this is the only time ive seen hands in front of faces

*Diana trips during I Get A Kick Out Of You

*for Forever Came Today, since M and C didn't record the original, they didn't know the background vocals. and we all know how hard it is to figure out what they're saying. so rather than try to figure it out, they just did the Ahhh's during the broadcast.

*Always/Irving Berlin night - there's a scene after the various performances are done when the entire cast present Irving with his birthday cake. the 3 sups are there in the brocade cream break-away gowns they'd worn on the Tennessee Ernie Ford special. I think the whole cast sings together to Irving

I noticed that too. I watched virtually all the Supremes clips and except the one you mentioned, she never flailed her arms around the others' faces... but I guess when something is part of a folk legend [[or just plain lying gossip "tea"), the lie gets repeated so much that people believe it.

I also saw Mary's response to Diana during "Itching" like "girl we didn't rehearse this, what you doin'?" LOL

FINAL HITS MEDLEY / SOMEDAY WE’LL BE TOGETHER
    [[Yellow outfits with Mary’s voices catching in Diana’s mic toward the end, Diana Ross’s final performance on Sullivan)

UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF / IF MY FRIENDS COULD SEE ME NOW
    [[Red glittery outfits, Jean Terrell’s final performance)
    I didn't realize The Supremes had performed a version of that song ! Any way to hear it ??

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

in the final Diana performance there are a few more "fun facts"
    *this was shortly after Cindy's release from the hospital following her kidnapping ordeal. if you look closely at her face and in the close up during Love Child, you can see that the makeup doesn't fully conceal the bruising
    *as M and C do their circle around Diana in the Symphony closing of the medley, Cindy slightly stumbles on Diana's mic chord
    *Diana's mystery mic - this one is good lol watch the top of her mike during the medley up through Love Child when they cut to M and C. then when they go back to Diana the top is gone!! was it a quick snack? did it fall off? did she rip it off and throw it at the producers? lolol who knows. I've wondered if they taped 2 versions of the medley and that was a cut between the two and she used 2 different mics for the two versions.

*lots of angst has been made about how Diana would cover the girls' faces - Cindy has been quoted saying this, Tony Turner made a stink about it. out of every tv performance I've seen, the only time this really happens is at end of Funny Girl medley. there are a few times where maybe someone is a little blocked by an end pose/arms up. but this is the only time ive seen hands in front of faces
    Re the final performance, after viewing it a number of times, I think it was done at least twice, and not live in front of a studio audience. The mike switch couldn't have happened on live tv, plus the applause sounds canned.

Re Diana covering the girls' faces, it is amazing that it has taken on a life of its own. Cindy is even quoted as saying as she moved to the left, Diana's hand moved to the left to keep blocking, LOL. I would love to see that, but I'm doubtful it even exists.

Tony Turner went totally overboard with his description of the girls' performance of MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU. He has Diana constantly fussing with a lock of hair on her wig, and purposely blocking out Mary and Flo by putting her arms up in a big V. If you watch the performance, this is so totally untrue. Diana is to the extreme left on the other girls, so how could she block out both of their faces? Not to mention that she never touches her hair once! Too funny.

Also, in his book, Eric Burdon relates an experience he had when his group, the Animals, appeared on a Sullivan episode with the Supremes. He claims he saw Sullivan screaming at the girls backstage, reducing them to tears. None of the girls has ever commented on this incident. If it is true, I wonder what made Ed so angry?

Thanks to everyone for your input regarding the Supremes performances on the Sullivan show. My favorite and most entertaining performance was the "Millie, Rose, & Mame" medley. As many of us have stated before, listening and watching the Supremes' renditions of standards and showtunes was our first, serious exposure and attention to that genre of music.

Re the final performance, after viewing it a number of times, I think it was done at least twice, and not live in front of a studio audience. The mike switch couldn't have happened on live tv, plus the applause sounds canned.

Re Diana covering the girls' faces, it is amazing that it has taken on a life of its own. Cindy is even quoted as saying as she moved to the left, Diana's hand moved to the left to keep blocking, LOL. I would love to see that, but I'm doubtful it even exists.

Here it is:

Tony Turner went totally overboard with his description of the girls' performance of MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU. He has Diana constantly fussing with a lock of hair on her wig, and purposely blocking out Mary and Flo by putting her arms up in a big V. If you watch the performance, this is so totally untrue. Diana is to the extreme left on the other girls, so how could she block out both of their faces? Not to mention that she never touches her hair once! Too funny.

Also, in his book, Eric Burdon relates an experience he had when his group, the Animals, appeared on a Sullivan episode with the Supremes. He claims he saw Sullivan screaming at the girls backstage, reducing them to tears. None of the girls has ever commented on this incident. If it is true, I wonder what made Ed so angry?
    I’ve never heard of story like this. Perhaps he got the girl groups mixed up and it was someone else. Everyone has said how ed lived the girls. He’s visit them backstage at some of their NYC shows

I’ve never heard of story like this. Perhaps he got the girl groups mixed up and it was someone else. Everyone has said how ed lived the girls. He’s visit them backstage at some of their NYC shows
    Just like Reese is doubtful the putting hands over the faces of the other Supremes video exists [[it does just look above), this story about Ed Sullivan could be true. It could of happened the time Florence jumped on Diane and kicked her ass in the dressing room.

Eric could very well be wrong and/or confused. I looked at an Ed Sullivan show episode guide and I don't see an instance where the Animals and the Supremes appear on the same episode.

the "flo beating up diana" story is another interesting one. Randy mentions it in Call Her Miss Ross but then omits it in his later book. And it's not in his earlier Diana book either. I know Tony brings it up, but that's a less than trustworthy source.