Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
Lol I Am Changing was about Effie White. Even Jennifer Holliday claimed Flo wasn't based on Effie White [[on her Unsung, she brought up the fact that Jennifer Hudson thanked Florence Ballard, and not her [[Holliday) for winning the Golden Globe [[she did thank her at the Oscars IIRC though) saying "this wasn't about Florence Ballard, it was about Effie White"). Also IIRC, after Dreamgirls [[the film) came out, I think the original Broadway cast of Dreamgirls [[not just Jennifer, but also Sheryl Lee Ralph, Loretta Devine, etc.) took offense to Smokey, Martha & Mary claiming it was "just like Motown". Inspiration is one thing but you can't stop some folks from seeing it how they wanna see it.

Nonetheless it's a great song and Mary does a great rendition regardless.
The original DREAMGIRLS, as it appeared on Broadway was loosly based on the Supremes. Much like Law & Order episodes are ripped from the headlines and loosly based on that headline, the actual episode is fictional, just as Dreamgirls is fictional.
I saw the show and saw many similarities, but I was not seeing the Supremes Life Story.

When the movie came out, they went out of their way to make it Supreme based in that they even copied covers of the Supremes' records. If someone only saw the movie and not the play that it was based on, they could not help but think that they were seeing the Supremes' story. But it was fictional.

Yes, it would be nice to see a movie or musical about the Supremes. But after Motown the Musical, and Dreamgirls, most people think that they already saw it