[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supremes - Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love [[Uptempo Version)

Where is this version from please?

I created it.

I wonder if it's from the person who sped up The Composer

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I wonder if it's from the person who sped up The Composer
    BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Perhaps you also slowed down The Tears Of A Clown

I "re-tempoed" 25 Supremes songs [[all 70's, I believe). The best ones were this one and Bad Weather [[which was on Youtube for a hot minute before it was yanked). I didn't create any others.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Perhaps you also slowed down The Tears Of A Clown
    Unless that was a request ...

I like it. I always thought the original was a little too slow.

Thanks Johnny. Would love to hear your mix of 'Bad Weather'

Thanks very much. Am loving it.

I'm glad you like it. I kept the pitch the same, so Jean doesn't sound like Minnie Mouse.

It's all academic now but I wonder if the original version had been faster would it have been a bigger hit?

I think it may have been a bigger hit.

that tambourine is workin overtime on this version lol.

It appears to be at the same tempo as the performance of the song on "Flip Wilson." To quote the wise FannyCraddock, "it goes like a train"! It definitely is like a non-stop express! John, you may have been right that the song might have done better at this faster tempo.

Good ear, Dan! I actually shortened the playing time to match the song length on Flip Wilson.

this is good.much better. wish i heard the bad weather one.it needed help

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    this is good.much better. wish i heard the bad weather one.it needed help

I like this version of BW better. the original dragged along. I liked the vocals and lyrics but I didn't seem to jump at me but this version is far better. thanks!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE it. it rocks

I like this uptempo version of "You're Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love". I also like the original version. My favorite version of "Bad Weather" is on the 2000 box set.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like this uptempo version of "You're Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love". I also like the original version. My favorite version of "Bad Weather" is on the 2000 box set.
    yeah I would agree, love how it fades and then comes back in. the ladies are rockin it

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

Kim's version was great for the 60s. The Supremes was excellent for their time in the 70s as well. Check out it's response here:

Get down!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I think it may have been a bigger hit.
    So do I Johnny.

Johnny's version of YWSSL is an improvement on the original, but I prefer the original "Bad Weather" to this faster version. Great work though Johnny!

i think a faster tempo and removing Smokey's vocals would have greatly helped YWSSL and probably would have charted better. it's a fun and funky song. but his voice is oddly mixed in the released version and barely even sounds like smokey. and it really overshadows the girls' vocals. just doesn't sound at all like a Supremes song.

might have made an interesting duet though if he'd done part of the lead alongside jean

JML on Flip Wilson

https://youtu.be/TpK5ziP2rhw

So this is the version that they sang on Flip Wilson...the original Flip Wilson version, correct? I've always liked this one. They seem to really enjoy themselves, the lyrics are clear and the look young and vibrant.

except Jean flubbs the lyrics in the opening verse lol. but other than devoted fans no one would notice the "leary" line lol. good recovery!

If "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" had had a better tune in the first place, it wouldn't have needed all this messing about with it. One of Smokey's weakest ever melodies!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    If "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" had had a better tune in the first place, it wouldn't have needed all this messing about with it. One of Smokey's weakest ever melodies!
    True. Definitely the weakest melody on Floy Joy album. Don't know why it was chosen for a single.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    except Jean flubbs the lyrics in the opening verse lol. but other than devoted fans no one would notice the "leary" line lol. good recovery!
    Yet she recovered beautifully like the pro that she is.........

still digging it.groovy

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    True. Definitely the weakest melody on Floy Joy album. Don't know why it was chosen for a single.
    I thought the whole Floy Joy album marked a downturn in quality following Right on, New Ways and Touch. It is not that it is a bad album. Just a dull uninspiring one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I thought the whole Floy Joy album marked a downturn in quality following Right on, New Ways and Touch. It is not that it is a bad album. Just a dull uninspiring one.
    For me Floy Joy, Automatically Sunshine and Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet stood out from the rest.

For me Floy Joy, Automatically Sunshine and Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet stood out from the rest.
    I totally agree but would include YWSSL and A Heart Like Mine. I think perhaps having Mary and Cindy do more leads would have helped

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I totally agree but would include YWSSL and A Heart Like Mine. I think perhaps having Mary and Cindy do more leads would have helped
    Kim Weston is my favourite Motown solo female artist, but even she can't save YWSSL.

IMO, it's not that it's such a bad song, but it just meanders along and around, with no real direction or strong hooks.

It just needed an arrangement which gave it more focus and attack.

Imagine it being given to The Marvelettes, and a similar production to 'You're My Remedy'.

Wanda barking out the lyrics, testifying her belief over a romping band track, rousing Marvelettes background voices and hand claps, could have raised that song to the roof....

i think the FJ set was a positive change from the Frank Wilson work. it's a much simpler production - the backing tracks are not nearly as chocked full of instruments as the Frank stuff. Stoned Love and This Is The Story as huge productions - love them but there's a ton going on.

with FJ Smokey seems to have striped it all down and focused on more of a small band sound - keyboards/organ, bass, guitar, drums. there's not huge string sections or orchestras, no big brass bands. and the cover illustrates this too. clean, simple, white. the girls in stylish fashion but not the cliché sequin gowns with their arms thrown up in the air for a V.

i find it to be an interesting and enjoyable evolution of their sound but would have preferred a bit less Andantes with it. more just MJC singing together

"Floy Joy" is a great album! I loved the three singles culled from it:
    "Floy Joy", "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" and "Automatically Sunshine". Then there were the superb album cuts such as "Now the Bitter, Now The Sweet" [[one of the best songs the Supremes ever did.), "A Heart Like Mine" [[Mary sounding as sexy as ever...), "Over and Over" [[Jean sounding oh so good on this),"Precious Little Things" etc. There was not a bad song on this album. I only wished it were longer with 2 more songs at least.

"Up the Ladder to the Roof", "Stoned Love", and "Nathan Jones" had all been Top Ten hits nationally in the UK.
    In 1972, "Floy Joy" reached #9 and "Automatically Sunshine" #10, but "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" did not chart at all; which leads me to believe that the Great British record-buying public shared my opinion that the song was too weak to be a single.

"Up the Ladder to the Roof", "Stoned Love", and "Nathan Jones" had all been Top Ten hits nationally in the UK.
    In 1972, "Floy Joy" reached #9 and "Automatically Sunshine" #10, but "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" did not chart at all; which leads me to believe that the Great British record-buying public shared my opinion that the song was too weak to be a single.
    It did manage to creep into the mid 50's but that was a disappointing return after 2 top 10 hits, but it did as well as it deserved to.

I think YWSSL has strong potential. But in its current form it shouldn’t have been a single. Too slow and the odd male voice [[Smokey)

I couldn't get into Be My Love. loved to hear the one out take from this album one day

"Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" was a Black, Soul, Funk record! It was great to dance to and had a major funky rhythm track and soulful vocals which we rarely got from the Supremes. It was mostly frustrating, because we knew they were more than capable of getting down when they wanted to or allowed to. I will always be happy with how this recording turned out in it's original form as it is a testament to the fact that Motown could produce soulful/funk records at will! Later for that crossover BS.

^ i agree! it's a good Sup version of funk. not too heavy but certainly got a bit more attitude than previous songs. i just like the slightly faster tempo of the live version on Flip Wilson.

and again, i hate Smokey's vocal on the track! lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ^ i agree! it's a good Sup version of funk. not too heavy but certainly got a bit more attitude than previous songs. i just like the slightly faster tempo of the live version on Flip Wilson.

and again, i hate Smokey's vocal on the track! lol
    HEY SUP first you have it in for Smokey's songwriting, now you have it in for Smokey's singing too!!! Is there ANYTHING you like about the man??!!