[REMOVE ADS]

What Was Your Favorite Impulse / Blind LP Purchase?

What I mean is an LP [[CD, etc) purchase by a performer you never heard, but may have heard OF, and you were interested by the cover presentation, 'look' of the performer, etc. Mine was Valerie Simpson's 'Exposed' in 1971. I found it at Korvettes in NYC in the soul music rack. I loved the white cover and the picture of Valerie in her white dress; flipping it over I saw the hand-written endorsement by Diana Ross and I was sold! At home I LOVED [[and still love) the LP from it's opening notes!

Peace, you should include artist that you've heard of also since if you buy an album that has their hit song but you've never heard the rest of the album you are hoping there are a few more gems. I've always thought that if there are at least three strong songs on a blind buy album that it was not in vain. Having said that I would mention the greatest hits album for Derek Martin for example. I had only heard "You'd Better Go" but found about five or six songs that I also liked. Same thing for the greatest hits album by The Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose. There are some song on there that've never heard of that were very good and made me glad I purchased it. Same thing for the first Black Sabbath album I ever purchased. I don't think I'd buy an album of an artist or group that I've never heard of or am not familiar with their music.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Peace, you should include artist that you've heard of also since if you buy an album that has their hit song but you've never heard the rest of the album you are hoping there are a few more gems. I've always thought that if there are at least three strong songs on a blind buy album that it was not in vain. Having said that I would mention the greatest hits album for Derek Martin for example. I had only heard "You'd Better Go" but found about five or six songs that I also liked. Same thing for the greatest hits album by The Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose. There are some song on there that've never heard of that were very good and made me glad I purchased it. Same thing for the first Black Sabbath album I ever purchased. I don't think I'd buy an album of an artist or group that I've never heard of or am not familiar with their music.
    OK! I wouldn't argue with that expansion!

Given the new parameters, my most recent excellent blind buy was the cast recording of Blue [music and lyrics by Nona Hendryx performed by Michael McElroy]. Since I've been a Nona devotee all my life, this one was a no-brainer. Initially, I was disappointed because I expected the show's star, Phylicia Rashad, to take the lead on most of the songs. No such luck; she merely sings background. However, my disappointment gave way to complete bliss when I finally got around to listening to it. Mr. McElroy has a dynamic baritone that suits Nona's thrilling compositions exceedingly well. What an exciting album!

After some thought, mine is easy although most here wouldn't probably appreciate the album. But I used to stop by the record store every payday and buy anywhere between two and six albums each week. One week, I went to a franchise store and bought the debut EP by Fishbone. I only bought it because it had a song called Lyin' Ass Bitch on it and I wanted to see what it sounded like. They had it with the R&B records, but Fishbone is really a rock band. Well, there were six songs on the EP and I love every single one to this day.

The thing is, that impulse buy led me to purchase their next six records and they remain one of my favorite acts to this day. I love so many genres of music that it was easy for me to appreciate something outside of '80s R&B and Fishbone made it easy by at once becoming my favorite rock band, ska band, funk band, and hardcore band. Every album had at least three different genres of music on it. Their best record, Truth and Soul, even had one of my favorite blues songs on it. And except for that impulse buy, I probably never would have given the others a chance.

My second favorite is Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams by BoDeans. That's the most imminently singable album I ever purchased. Again, by the '90s, I was bored with most of what was on the radio so I bought that album on a whim. It was a '60s throwback with non-effected guitars and clean melodies and just like the Fishbone record, I played it to death because it was something fresh that I wasn't hearing on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    After some thought, mine is easy although most here wouldn't probably appreciate the album. But I used to stop by the record store every payday and buy anywhere between two and six albums each week. One week, I went to a franchise store and bought the debut EP by Fishbone. I only bought it because it had a song called Lyin' Ass Bitch on it and I wanted to see what it sounded like. They had it with the R&B records, but Fishbone is really a rock band. Well, there were six songs on the EP and I love every single one to this day.

The thing is, that impulse buy led me to purchase their next six records and they remain one of my favorite acts to this day. I love so many genres of music that it was easy for me to appreciate something outside of '80s R&B and Fishbone made it easy by at once becoming my favorite rock band, ska band, funk band, and hardcore band. Every album had at least three different genres of music on it. Their best record, Truth and Soul, even had one of my favorite blues songs on it. And except for that impulse buy, I probably never would have given the others a chance.

My second favorite is Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams by BoDeans. That's the most imminently singable album I ever purchased. Again, by the '90s, I was bored with most of what was on the radio so I bought that album on a whim. It was a '60s throwback with non-effected guitars and clean melodies and just like the Fishbone record, I played it to death because it was something fresh that I wasn't hearing on the radio.
    HELL YES for Fishbone, Jerry! Great taste!

Also gotta mention Melba Moore's Burn. Always loved Melba, but wasn't familiar with the songs here. This was Melba's first album where she co-composed the material [[here with Pete Bellotte). I expected a Donna Summer-lite experience; not the case! Strong, overlooked disco LP.
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Here is another blind purchase that literally changed my taste in music. The album is titled African Image and it came out in 1984. I don't know why I bought it but I'm glad I did. My idea of world music up until then was Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff, but this album introduced me to African jazz/pop and changed my catalog. [[Granted, I had bought Malcolm McLaren's Duck Rock the year before and the songs Road To Soweto and Double Dutch were sung by South African ensembles and still bring a tear to my eyes.) After finding the African Image LP , I started buying things by Johnny Clegg and Oliver Mtukudzi and others. But I had a stereotyped idea of what I expected from music from the Motherland until African Image nearly wore out a stylus in 1984.

Billy Ocean's "Nights, Feel Like Getting Down".

Had never heard of this group, but, took the plunge. Been playing the CD for a long time now and really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    HELL YES for Fishbone, Jerry! Great taste!

Also gotta mention Melba Moore's Burn. Always loved Melba, but wasn't familiar with the songs here. This was Melba's first album where she co-composed the material [[here with Pete Bellotte). I expected a Donna Summer-lite experience; not the case! Strong, overlooked disco LP.
    LOVE 'Burn' as well. Got the CD release and play often. MISS THANG!!

The impulse I remember most is Bettye LaVette's LET ME DOWN EASY: IN CONCERT. I picked it up on a whim after spotting it at Tower Records. I had heard of Bettye but the only recording I had of hers was YOUR TURN TO CRY, which had been included on an Atlantic compilation.

I loved the live cd and it led me to collecting her singles off eBay and eventually to seeing her in person at Joe's Pub. Since then, I've become a huge fan and have seen her many times in concert, the latest taking place just last night.

lakeside:

Tell us more about that group and who you might compare them to. I have never heard of them nor seen that CD. What era was it released?

As for me the answer to this is a no-brainer. I was in a K Mart one day in the late 70s to early 80s I would guess, and they had 50 cent albums in a cut out bin. I saw Ann Peebles' "Handwriting is on the Wall" album and decided to take a chance. I had maybe seen the name in print but did not know her music, not even her hit that she had by that time "I Can't Stand the Rain."

But the opening cut on that album "Old Man With Young Ideas" grabbed me instantly as did the entire album, and within a month I had grabbed up everything by her that I could find.

I had a similar experience with the 45 of the Elgins' "Heaven Must Have Sent You." Although I was a Motown fan, I did not know either the song or the group. I just took a chance because I knew the VIP label was a Motown product. To this day, it is one of my top five all-time songs.

Charles Mann 'Say You Love Me Too' vinyl album. An entirely new name to me when the album came out, although the credits looked good. His one and only album, and initially underwhelmed. But it gradually crept into my conciousness and is established as one of all time favourites. It's all over got the limelight as a dance Soul favourite, but it is the nuanced and intelligent tracks such as Very Lonely, Say You Love Me Too, and Be Real Black For Me [[also recorded by Donny and Roberta) which are the hallmark of the album. Not a dud track. If you don't know it, here's the full album. Give it a good few hearings as it is a grower which becomes a treasure.

https://youtu.be/voWhATTIjg0

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    lakeside:

Tell us more about that group and who you might compare them to. I have never heard of them nor seen that CD. What era was it released?

As for me the answer to this is a no-brainer. I was in a K Mart one day in the late 70s to early 80s I would guess, and they had 50 cent albums in a cut out bin. I saw Ann Peebles' "Handwriting is on the Wall" album and decided to take a chance. I had maybe seen the name in print but did not know her music, not even her hit that she had by that time "I Can't Stand the Rain."

But the opening cut on that album "Old Man With Young Ideas" grabbed me instantly as did the entire album, and within a month I had grabbed up everything by her that I could find.

I had a similar experience with the 45 of the Elgins' "Heaven Must Have Sent You." Although I was a Motown fan, I did not know either the song or the group. I just took a chance because I knew the VIP label was a Motown product. To this day, it is one of my top five all-time songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8R-ro2Gtg
    http://www.henrystonemusic.com/reid-inc/
    Rickski65

March 30, 2015

referencing Reid, Inc., LP, Album, RE, RM, LP-304
    Impossibly rare sweet Soul & Funk from the vaults of Miami's Bold Records [[A subsidiary of the mighty T.K. Disco label).

There's scant information on Reid Inc as a group but the album boasts some gorgeous soulful melodies from the all female personnel and features stellar string & horn arrangements from Miami studio stalwart Mike Lewis [[Blowfly, KC & The Sunshine Band, Latimore, Fern Kinney) & is produced by the mighty Clarence Reid who has written, recorded & produced too many records to list here [[Betty Wright, Wilson Pickett, Dusty Springfield, Bobby Byrd, Gwen McCrae) throughout his 50+ year career.

This is a real rarity, a record that fetches top, top dollar [[$500 plus) on-line among Soul, Funk & Disco aficionados. "What Am I Gonna Do" has been comped numerous times but this is the first time the whole LP has been re-mastered & re-issued on vinyl [[Having previously only been re-released on CD in Japan) Brought to you in conjunction & with the permission of T.K. Disco / Henry Stone Music, Miami USA.
    Last edited by lakeside; 02-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Anita Baker - Compositions.
    From the first seconds of hearing her, I knew I would love her work. Bought it off of Columbia House to round out, I believe, an 18 CD order. From a paper catalogue. Shipped in 4 weeks. My how times have changed!

My favorite "impulse" LPs;

Love-Forever Changes
    Genesis-Wind & Wuthering
    Gentle Giant-Free Hand
    Weather Report-Tale Spinnin'
    Chick Corea & Return To Forever-No Mystery
    Little Feat-Waiting For Columbus [[Live)
    Smokey Robinson-A Quiet Storm & Pure Smokey*

of course, I knew & loved Smokey Robinson's work in the '60s but these were the first of his solo albums that I listened to and liked.

Bump: On a lark a couple of months ago, I picked up a CD by Elsa Lanchester - yes, that Elsa Lanchester of The Bride of Frankenstein fame. It's called Elsa Lanchester Sings Bawdy Cockney Songs and it is a camp riot. She was actually quite a compelling and funny singer, though technically no Streisand. With song titles like "If You Peek in My Gazebo," "Lola's Saucepan," and "Linda and Her Londonderry Air" [[say it fast), I knew it would be a scream. I was right!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Bump: On a lark a couple of months ago, I picked up a CD by Elsa Lanchester - yes, that Elsa Lanchester of The Bride of Frankenstein fame. It's called Elsa Lanchester Sings Bawdy Cockney Songs and it is a camp riot. She was actually quite a compelling and funny singer, though technically no Streisand. With song titles like "If You Peek in My Gazebo," "Lola's Saucepan," and "Linda and Her Londonderry Air" [[say it fast), I knew it would be a scream. I was right!
    Sounds like a joy! Funnier than the Merman disco lp. That WAS meant to be a joke. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Sounds like a joy! Funnier than the Merman disco lp. That WAS meant to be a joke. I think.
    It really is! Hunt high and low for it.

And I think The Merm’s disco album was meant to be dead serious.😀