[REMOVE ADS]

Etta James - The Love of My Man

When most soul fans hear the title "The Love of My Man", they probably think of the Ed Townsend song, recorded by artists such as Theola Kilgore, Pearlean Gray, and Etta James.

However, when Etta released a single of "The Love of My Man" in 1970, it wasn't the same Ed Townsend song featured on her 1968 "Tell Mama" LP. The 1970 release is from the pen of David Bonds. The productions duties were handled by Ralph Bass and Gene Barge at a September 1970 recording session in Los Angeles.

I got the recording dates for this A-Side from the liner notes of Ace's 2011 reissue of Etta's "Loser Weepers" album. However, the "Love of My Man" included on this CD is actually the better known Ed Townsend song, produced by Rick Hall & Staff.

Who do I contact at Ace to let them know about this mistake? The Contact page on their website lists multiple people. Would Managing Director Roger Armstrong be the one to inform?

I imagine they're unlikely to press up corrected copies of the "Losers Weepers" reissue. But they may still locate the correct tape and reissue the true A-Side of "The Love of My Man" on a future CD - perhaps they'll gather together Etta Jame's Chess 45s in their true single mixes one of these days.
    Last edited by smallworld; 01-28-2018 at 04:18 PM.

thanks for the info

edafan

I still have my 45 from 1970. Love it.

I don't,sounds like a b-side at best,always love etta but not this one.