[REMOVE ADS]

Betty Willis - R.I.P.

Name:  bjw.jpg
Views: 2522
Size:  53.8 KB
    Soul singer Betty Willis has died following a suspected street robbery on New Year’s Eve. The Someday You’ll Need My Love star, who recorded tracks produced by Leon Russell in the early 1960s, was found dead in a Santa Ana, California parking lot early on New Year’s Day.

A 22-year-old man suspected of killing the 76-year-old has been arrested.
    Someone called local police officials when they heard Willis crying out for help. Rosendo Xo Pec was allegedly trying to flee the scene when officers first arrived. He was detained and later booked on suspicion of homicide.
    Reports suggest Willis was homeless and living on the streets at the time of her death. During her short stint as a soul star, the singer also recorded the songs "Act Naturally," "If I Had A Hammer" and "Take My Heart."

Betty was a strong big voiced singer who cut a few 45s on the West Coast in the 60s. While her first disc, a sub Ike & Tina Turner duet with Ray [[Ray who?), was rather disappointing, her second, no doubt cut at the same session, for Rendezvous was much better. "Someday You’ll Need My Love" has a rather fine doo wop feel and structure, and Betty swoops and soars over the catchy melody. No detached cool vocal this – rather it has considerable passion and power.

Her Phi-Dan 45 is one that the Phil Spector fans love due to it’s label – even though the producer was actually Leon Russell. And I must admit to a liking for this sort of music, especially when the vocal is as fierce as it is on "Act Naturally" [[B-side was "SOUL"). Check out Betty’s screams and the way she makes her voice grainier and harsher at key points in the song. "Someday You'll Need My Love" RENDEZVOUS 190 is her masterpiece is what appears to be her final single. Listen "Ain’t Gonna Do You No Good" is rightly considered a deep soul classic. Betty’s voice is a much more mature instrument here, but thankfully she has lost none of her fire. Instead the phrasing is better paced and she has greater control of her range. Love the way she growls those deep notes out in the verses. Soul music seems to suit her better than R & B/doo wop and despite a big production, including some background singers Betty is certainly able to stamp her personality on the “hard done to” lyric. I guess this Mojo label was an early version of Calvin Arnold’s more famous Georgia based concern when he based in LA.

Discography

Turn Your Love Lights On / You’re Too Much RENDEZVOUS 189 [[1960) [[as Betty & Ray)

Someday You’ll Need My Love / Take My Heart RENDEZVOUS 190 [[1960)

Act Naturally / Soul PHI-DAN 5001 [[1965)

Ain’t Gonna Do You No Good / Gone With The Wind [[Is My Love) MOJO 102 [[1968)

[[From Sir Shambling's "Deep Soul Heaven")
    Last edited by brother_love; 01-03-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Name:  gravy.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  84.1 KB
    Betty on lead vocals

Name:  betty_willis_2.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  65.9 KB
    Betty at her best!Name:  betty-willis-b-300x293.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  31.2 KB
    Last edited by brother_love; 01-03-2018 at 08:57 PM.

This is a very sad story. Rest in peace Betty. Thanks Brother Love.

I had never of her. What a sad story and she had a great voice.

RIP Betty