[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aretha Franklin With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra "A Brand New Me" [[Rhino)

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...8c2b45985c7e07
    Aretha Franklin is releasing a new album which features The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on classic tracks such as Respect, Think and Don’t Play That Song [[You Lied).

A Brand New Me: Aretha Franklin With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra will be released via Rhino Records on November 10, marks the 50th anniversary of the 75-year-old soul legend’s signing to Atlantic Records in 1967.

The LP was recorded at the world famous Abbey Road Studios in London with acclaimed producers Nick Patrick and Don Reedman.

The pair are known for two Elvis Presley records with the orchestra, The Wonder Of You: Elvis Presley With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and last year’s If I Can Dream: Elvis Presley With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, which topped charts across the world and sold 1.5 million copies.

‘There is a reason that Aretha Franklin is called the Queen of Soul,’ Nick Patrick said.

‘There is nothing more exciting than that incredible voice taking you on an emotional roller coaster ride through her amazing repertoire of songs. To have the opportunity to work with that voice on this project has been the greatest honour and to hear a symphony orchestra wrapped around those performances is breathtaking.’

Don Reedman said: ‘I was 15 years old when a song came on the radio called Rock A Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody. It blew me away; the power, the soul. The feeling that went through me got me hooked on Aretha and I have been ever since. To be able to make this album and be able to select songs from hits like ‘Respect’ to ‘Think’ then blend them with classic songs like ‘Let It Be’ and ‘Border Song’ and create an album which is versatile and fresh is truly an honour.’

The songs include brand new backing vocals led by Grammy-winning singer Patti Austin.

Tracklist
    1. Think
    2. Don't Play That Song [[You Lied)
    3. I Say A Little Prayer
    4. Until You Come Back To Me [[That's What I'm Gonna Do)
    5. A Brand New Me
    6. A Natural Woman [[You Make Me Feel Like)
    7. Angel
    8. Border Song [[Holy Moses)
    9. Let It Be
    10. People Get Ready
    11. Oh Me Oh My [[I'm A Fool For You Baby)
    12. You're All I Need To Get By
    13. Son Of A Preacher Man
    14. Respect

Wow! Aretha and Patti Austin?!? Excuse me as I melt!

I'm confused, though...has Aretha conquered her fear of flying? Or were the orchestral tracks done separately?

P.S.: Never mind; I see that the original tracks are being given the Elvis treatment. Still, the new Austin backing vocals are a real source of excitement; I don't recall Patti ever backing Aretha...and Patti's sung with EVERYBODY.
    Last edited by sansradio; 07-20-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Though a major Aretha-cologist I don't really look forward to this. The symphonic-orchestra 'thang is [[for me) whatever at best and desperate at worst, as is the general concept of re-recording past hits which have usually been done in their definitive versions. And with all due respect to Patti Austin, does that mean the Sweethearts of Soul background vocals will be [[gasp) ... vanquished? Excuse me while I retreat to my fainting sofa ...

I'm certainly at the very least curious to see how these will be reimagined. I am just glad Aretha's not re-recording them vocally. Aretha's voice is not what it used to be and it would be a bit painful to try to hear her attempt some of these again.

I hope this turns out well. I will certainly buy it. But it reminds me of how when Aretha became successful at Atlantic, Columbia took some of her old vocals, backed them up with new tracks with the likes of Bernard Purdie and Richard Tee, added backgrounds by Valerie Simpson and Melba Moore, and released them on the 1969 album TODAY I SING THE BLUES.

At that time, Aretha sued, I assume because the recordings were released to compete with her Atlantic recordings. But that isn't the case this time, so maybe she approves/

I too am curious to hear the finished product. While to my mind the original versions will never be bettered, I can imagine some of these songs working well with a big orchestra backing.

If promoted well, this could expose Aretha to a wider, younger audience who might then seek out more of her back catalogue.

A similar exercise was undertaken a few years back with the release of the Ray Charles cd 'Ray sings, Basie swings'. This comprised vocals by Ray Charles from a previouly unreleased live recording with new instrumental backing by the [[reformed) Count Basie Orchestra. The Raelettes vocals were provided by a crack group of session singers led by Patti Austin, who also performs this duty on the Aretha project.

I found the finshed Ray Charles project highly enjoyable. So here's hoping likewise for Aretha!

I have to admit I really like those 2 Elvis cds and am looking forward to this one!

I was aware that this project was being considered quite a few months ago. Obviously after the success of the RPO reworkings with Elvis the record company is considering other similar ventures. A Roy Orbison album, with the RPO, will also be coming out in the autumn.

I'll be intrigued to hear what the Aretha album sounds like. As others have said, the original recordings were great because of not only Aretha, but also the musicians, singers and feel of the sessions. Can that 'soul' be replicated? Maybe an orchestral feel might work with songs like Angel, Say A Little Prayer and Border Song. But with Think or Respect? Above all I go back to the word 'soul'. Sure we'll still have Aretha's original voice recordings, but will the overall production have the grit and soul?

I guess the over-riding question might be, why do we need this when we have the originals? They won't be bettered, but if, as suggested, this new album leads new listeners to Aretha and then to buy her original albums then it might be worthwhile. Meanwhile, assuming Aretha has approved the concept, both she and the record company will make a bit of [[more) money!

A final thought ....when is her own new album due. I may be wrong but I thought it was later this year. Aren't the two likely to clash?
    Last edited by alanh; 07-23-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    I was aware that this project was being considered quite a few months ago. Obviously after the success of the RPO reworkings with Elvis the record company is considering other similar ventures. A Roy Orbison album, with the RPO, will also be coming out in the autumn.

I'll be intrigued to hear what the Aretha album sounds like. As others have said, the original recordings were great because of not only Aretha, but also the musicians, singers and feel of the sessions. Can that 'soul' be replicated? Maybe an orchestral feel might work with songs like Angel, Say A Little Prayer and Border Song. But with Think or Respect? Above all I go back to the word 'soul'. Sure we'll still have Aretha's original voice recordings, but will the overall production have the grit and soul?

I guess the over-riding question might be, why do we need this when we have the originals? They won't be bettered, but if, as suggested, this new album leads new listeners to Aretha and then to buy her original albums then it might be worthwhile. Meanwhile, assuming Aretha has approved the concept, both she and the record company will make a bit of [[more) money!

A final thought ....when is her own new album due. I may be wrong but I thought it was later this year. Aren't the two likely to clash?
    Aretha is supposedly recording an album now, with production from Lionel Richie and Stevie Wonder. I did see a news story where she was recording a new version of WHAT'S GOING ON. She mentioned the album would be out this soon, but I'll believe it when I see it. Between her and Stevie, I'd be surprised if it comes out before next year, if that.

This sounds very nice. I've always wonder why Aretha has not done symphony concerts. This will give me a hint of how it would sound if she did.

Remember Nessun Dorma? Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Remember Nessun Dorma? Can't wait
    Oh yeah, who could forget that performance.

So here's an article from The Second Disc about the project. I'm just not enthusiastic. If this is really the cover 'artwork' ... oy. Between [[apparently) obliterating the Sweethearts of Soul and using a symphony orchestra instead of the superb Muscle Shoals players and 5-decade old lead vocals I can't help but wonder 'why bother' ? Hopefully I'll be proven wrong -
    https://theseconddisc.com/2017/07/gi...stral-backing/

... I think I know 'why' - the mid-November release date identifies this as a holiday season gift item. I expect 'Today' and 'Tonight' show etc. appearances and sales of about 25,000 copies. It will be on and off the charts before you can say [[regrettably) 'Introducing Darlene Love'. It's a money grab and nothing else.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 07-25-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Yes, PeaceNHarmony, that's exactly it - aiming at the Christmas sales season. The first Elvis album sold over 1 million copies in the UK alone. The second sold over 63,000 in its first week, finally reaching over 500,000 in the UK. It's certainly a revenue generator, but, as said maybe the concept will introduce fans to consider the artist's further catalogue. In the case of both Elvis and Roy Orbison the families have given the projects blessing and support. We must assume Aretha has too.

Yes, PeaceNHarmony, that's exactly it - aiming at the Christmas sales season. The first Elvis album sold over 1 million copies in the UK alone. The second sold over 63,000 in its first week, finally reaching over 500,000 in the UK. It's certainly a revenue generator, but, as said maybe the concept will introduce fans to consider the artist's further catalogue. In the case of both Elvis and Roy Orbison the families have given the projects blessing and support. We must assume Aretha has too.
    Interesting, Alan! The major difference to me is that Elvis and Roy are long dead so this type of project are basically a necessity if new catalog is needed from the performer. A symphonic LP by Aretha aimed at the Christmas season would be welcomed by me but with new vocals and new material [[remember the opera aria LP we were promised in the wake of Franklin's gorgeous 'Nessun Dorma'?) It's my guess that these releases don't do much to generate catalog sales and the only reason for them is greed. As a fan of 'Ree's for the past 48 years I can only be disappointed that she has given the OK to such a cynical project. And to [[we presume) jettison the Sweethearts of Soul and the Sweet Inspirations for new backing vocals ... sacre bleu!

Name:  Aretha.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  24.1 KB

Cover of album

Name:  81u4w0LuZSL._SY550_.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  44.7 KB

Another release on cd and dvd aug, 18,2017

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Name:  81u4w0LuZSL._SY550_.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  44.7 KB

Another release on cd and dvd aug, 18,2017
    This will be a nice one to own!

Ordered mine after the first post from a UK company Banquet Records, can't wait, sorry I do not go with a flash in the pan release, looking forward to it and i believe it will be a success, there are many releases these days which sell only on release, but all sales count in this market with older soul artists.

Just heard a sample of "Respect" on ITunes and I must say I think it sounds pretty good. It's available for download.

For a soul singer in her 70s, Darlene's album did quite well. #18 on Billboards top album chart I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Just heard a sample of "Respect" on ITunes and I must say I think it sounds pretty good. It's available for download.
    This is a link to the 30 second clip on Amazon [[US). I like the power in it. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073X882...m_ws_tlw_trk14

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wow! Aretha and Patti Austin?!? Excuse me as I melt!

I'm confused, though...has Aretha conquered her fear of flying? Or were the orchestral tracks done separately?

P.S.: Never mind; I see that the original tracks are being given the Elvis treatment. Still, the new Austin backing vocals are a real source of excitement; I don't recall Patti ever backing Aretha...and Patti's sung with EVERYBODY.
    Sansradio, Aretha did not leave the States but Patti recorded her vocals over here in London. I am quite looking forward to this.It will put a different slant on these classics, and just the very thought of hearing the magnificent Patti Austin on backing vocals is enough in itself to win me over. I think a similar project on Ella Fitzgerald is scheduled around the same time with Patti again on backing vocals. Excited? You bet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Sansradio, Aretha did not leave the States but Patti recorded her vocals over here in London. I am quite looking forward to this.It will put a different slant on these classics, and just the very thought of hearing the magnificent Patti Austin on backing vocals is enough in itself to win me over. I think a similar project on Ella Fitzgerald is scheduled around the same time with Patti again on backing vocals. Excited? You bet!
    Yes, I learned the details soon after posting that, Blue [[note the postscript.) And yes, I'm chomping at the bit for this! Hog heaven for me.
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-21-2017 at 02:37 AM.

The new version of RESPECT is up on Amazon [[a sample to listen to) ... it doesn't sound too much different from the original IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    The new version of RESPECT is up on Amazon [[a sample to listen to) ... it doesn't sound too much different from the original IMHO.
    I hear a big difference, the brass is much sharper than the original recording.

Pretty much what I expected though even less creative. I can't see myself bothering to listen to the remaining cuts. The original versions were perfection, and other than re-mastering/re-mixing for new tech listening there would be no reason for this lp other than a quick buck. Anyhoo, my beloved Aretha gets to claim she has a new album without actually doing any work, Patti Austin [[who I didn't even hear) gets a paycheck and some press for re-creating already-perfect background vocals [[shoutout to THE SWEETHEARTS OF SOUL!), Cissy Houston will maybe have a new lawsuit over copyright infringement [[see: Patti), the Philharmonic has a follow-up to its legendary collaboration with the ur-talented Pia Zadora [[see: 'Pia and Phil'), and apparently fans here have a new lp to look forward to. At least the excreable Rod Stewart songbook lps were actually new work. New joint recordings between Franklin and Austin would be great. This I pass on.

Here is the full version of "Respect". What do you think?

I still think the producers & The London Philharmonic Orchestra have done a great job, can't watch the link above nor available, but The Independent Newspaper in the UK did a big feature with the full track.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7945831.html

Still looking forward to the full album, it worked for Elvis music, with good record sales and even toured the UK, hope it does the same for Aretha with album sales.

Been listening to this several times now and really like it.
    The only track I don't like is Angel, the new arraignment does not compare to the original.

A quick look at Billboard and it seems this title is/was an insta-bomb. I can't find any chart reference to it. Anyone know any more info?

Roy Orbison has a new remixed greatest hits album with the Philharmonic, and it is a huge hit in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    A quick look at Billboard and it seems this title is/was an insta-bomb. I can't find any chart reference to it. Anyone know any more info?
    It debuted on Billboard's classical chart at #5.

I'm really enjoying the album, but I always loved strings! never was a real Elvis fan, but I bought the Royal Philharmonic CD, even tempted with Roy Orbison superb TV commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It debuted on Billboard's classical chart at #5.
    Interesting; I wonder how many units that accounts for?

'A Brand New Me' entered the UK album chart yesterday on first week of release at the rather disappointing position of 61. It's sold 3,116 copies so far. Sadly the sales don't compare to those of Elvis and Roy Orbison with the RPO which got them in the top ten.

They have never done TV advertising alanh sadly for Aretha and currently they are doing both for Elvis & Roy?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    They have never done TV advertising alanh sadly for Aretha and currently they are doing both for Elvis & Roy?
    They aired an ad for the cd during CBS SUNDAY MORNING a few weeks back but that was the first and only time that I saw it.

I just don't see any market for this whatsoever. It's the first Aretha release ever that I have no interest in. I hope I'm proven wrong.

I wasn't expecting this album to be a big hit. To me, it is just another catalog release with a different twist.

I have read many fan reviews and many like it, but many don't. Myself, I'm sort of in the middle. I was expecting a bit more, I guess. To me, it just sounds like an orchestra playing on top of Aretha's original backing. One fan said that this was done because Aretha's isolated vocal tracks were lost in the Atlantic fire. That may be so, but there do exist technical ways to get around this. Natalie Cole detailed how they had to lift her father's UNFORGETTABLE vocal out of its original track recording, get rid of the instruments, and then place it into her track for the duet. So I'm sure they could have done the same for Aretha, if they wanted.

In any event, as I said above, I'm sort of in the middle. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't knock me out either. For Aretha, it'll probably give her a bit of attention, which can never hurt. Unfortunately, recently she seems to be in the news more for her health than for her work. So this is a nice diversion.

I went into this not liking the idea, but after hearing it, I like this new CD. I like that they overdubbed to the original tracks instead of making new recordings. After all, there is no way to remix anything as the Atlantic multitracks were burned up in a warehouse fire.

For those who can't get into this album, listen to it as if you were at an Aretha Franklin concert without the audience applause. There's no other real way I can describe the experience. It's fantastic!

If I had some raw audience applause, i'd mix it into this album.
    Last edited by soulster; 12-10-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I wasn't expecting this album to be a big hit. To me, it is just another catalog release with a different twist.

I have read many fan reviews and many like it, but many don't. Myself, I'm sort of in the middle. I was expecting a bit more, I guess. To me, it just sounds like an orchestra playing on top of Aretha's original backing. One fan said that this was done because Aretha's isolated vocal tracks were lost in the Atlantic fire. That may be so, but there do exist technical ways to get around this. Natalie Cole detailed how they had to lift her father's UNFORGETTABLE vocal out of its original track recording, get rid of the instruments, and then place it into her track for the duet. So I'm sure they could have done the same for Aretha, if they wanted.

In any event, as I said above, I'm sort of in the middle. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't knock me out either. For Aretha, it'll probably give her a bit of attention, which can never hurt. Unfortunately, recently she seems to be in the news more for her health than for her work. So this is a nice diversion.
    I'm with you. Some of the tracks were good but most were just OK. I no longer play it. Maybe in a few years time I might feel different. That happens.

I received this as one of my Christmas gifts. I was pleasantly surprised to know that Ledisi is one of the background vocalists as well! I’ll report back with a review at some point.

I received this as one of my Christmas gifts. I was pleasantly surprised to know that Ledisi is one of the background vocalists as well! I’ll report back with a review at some point.
    Thank you again sansradio. I shall await your expert view on this and the Minnie Riperton project before plotting my next move. Over to you..............

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thank you again sansradio. I shall await your expert view on this and the Minnie Riperton project before plotting my next move. Over to you..............
    Okay, just finished listening. Here goes:

This set is, as expected, only for the die-hard Arethacologist. Many of the originals already had sublime orchestration; the Phil rarely adds anything fresh. An integral ingredient in the brilliance of the originals is the almighty groove of those Muscle Shoals musicians, particularly Aretha’s low-down churchy piano...what little is left of the funk is stripped away, if present at all. The background vocals by Patti Austin, Ledisi and company are faithful to the original arrangements, save for an ill-considered re-arrangement of “Angel”; the sparse power of Aretha and piano from the original is given a busy accompaniment by the backups, which detracts from the quiet fire of the ‘73 version. [[One surprise was an alternate take of “Angel”’s spoken intro.) This feels like a blatant cash-in for the AARP set. Flashes of brilliance...but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. It’s something akin to adding filigree to the Sistine Chapel.

Okay, just finished listening. Here goes:

This set is, as expected, only for the die-hard Arethacologist. Many of the originals already had sublime orchestration; the Phil rarely adds anything fresh. An integral ingredient in the brilliance of the originals is the almighty groove of those Muscle Shoals musicians, particularly Aretha’s low-down churchy piano...what little is left of the funk is stripped away, if present at all. The background vocals by Patti Austin, Ledisi and company are faithful to the original arrangements, save for an ill-considered re-arrangement of “Angel”; the sparse power of Aretha and piano from the original is given a busy accompaniment by the backups, which detracts from the quiet fire of the ‘73 version. [[One surprise was an alternate take of “Angel”’s spoken intro.) This feels like a blatant cash-in for the AARP set. Flashes of brilliance...but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. It’s something akin to adding filigree to the Sistine Chapel.
    I'm sad/glad to read your review. Sad because it bears out my exact and negative feelings regarding the exegesis of this crass and cynical release. There is no reason whatsoever to remove the stellar background vocals of The Sweethearts of Soul, nor is there any reason to neuter the utterly perfect instrumentation and arrangements of the original recordings. Glad because at least I know I'm not alone. This is the one, singular title I will never have in my otherwise complete Aretha library. A desecration. For Ree's $ sake I wish it had been a hit. I now, and will always think, that the project was created to have 'new' product in the market in case Aretha ... became very unhealthy. Long live the Queen!

Totally agree with sansradio and PeaceNHarmony. I listened to this release on Spotify on its release day and could only bring myself to skim through a selection of several tracks. Sorry to say that I also don't love this. The combination of Aretha's voice and the original instrumentation made these into the classic songs that they are. Strange concept to re-do the songs...as they sounded perfect in the first place. Aretha's voice certainly made these songs into hits but it's strange to remove the integral sound of these records.

It's like everyone loves my mama's casserole...but maybe this year we are gonna take out the cheese and replace it with beans and corn...just not the same. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post
    Totally agree with sansradio and PeaceNHarmony. I listened to this release on Spotify on its release day and could only bring myself to skim through a selection of several tracks. Sorry to say that I also don't love this. The combination of Aretha's voice and the original instrumentation made these into the classic songs that they are. Strange concept to re-do the songs...as they sounded perfect in the first place. Aretha's voice certainly made these songs into hits but it's strange to remove the integral sound of these records.

It's like everyone loves my mama's casserole...but maybe this year we are gonna take out the cheese and replace it with beans and corn...just not the same. Lol.
    Mess with Mama's casserole?! DON'T EVEN! But they did, and replaced it with Wonderbread and store-brand mayo.