[REMOVE ADS]

Is Dayton The World Capital Of Funk?

Good article that suggests what I've believed for years. So many great artists and groups sprung out of Dayton and the city's funk roots have stretched across the world. Somebody's trying to establish a funk music hall of fame there, which is appropriate. I hope to visit soon after it opens.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/ar...pital-of-funk/

Now Jerry, I hate this — I know absolutely nothing about the artists mentioned in the article’s introduction — before I can even start reading. I am completely “musically blind” in this field. I consider myself a lover of Funk too. DAMN

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Good article that suggests what I've believed for years. So many great artists and groups sprung out of Dayton and the city's funk roots have stretched across the world. Somebody's trying to establish a funk music hall of fame there, which is appropriate. I hope to visit soon after it opens.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/ar...pital-of-funk/
    Before reading the article, I can tell you that it was. Dayton really was the World Capital of Funk for a time in the 70s. They were rivaling Detroit for the number of good, hit acts coming out of that area.

Sadly, now Dayton and Montgomery County, Ohio is the Opioid and Heroin overdose capital of America.

Marv: we have another connection.

I spent 4 summers 1967 - 1970 at U of Dayton on an NSF grant. also, I recently met Henry Finkle, U D grad in a local restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Marv: we have another connection.

I spent 4 summers 1967 - 1970 at U of Dayton on an NSF grant. also, I recently met Henry Finkle, U D grad in a local restaurant.
    Edafan, if we keep this up, we're going to find out that we're related! hehehehehehehe! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

I loved the article. It's so accurate and informative that there's not much you can say. In my opinion Dayton is inarguably the funk capital of the world. With The Ohio Players as the greatest band and Roger Troutman as the greatest record producer to emerge from that area.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Edafan, if we keep this up, we're going to find out that we're related! hehehehehehehe! Happy Holidays to you and your family!
    My grandfather, George Hartford, left my nana & mom & aunt in the 1920's. My mom traced him down and he had another kid, a boy, in the New York area. He changed his name, and my nana once pulled out an obit, and said, that's George Hartford, I can tell by the relatives names. So maybe we are related.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    My grandfather, George Hartford, left my nana & mom & aunt in the 1920's. My mom traced him down and he had another kid, a boy, in the New York area. He changed his name, and my nana once pulled out an obit, and said, that's George Hartford, I can tell by the relatives names. So maybe we are related.

edafan
    Could be Edafan. My Grandfather's brother started a family in Australia when he was stationed there in the service, so who knows especially here in America!