[REMOVE ADS]

Ideas for New Diana Ross Project

A comment from another thread inspired me to do this one. If Ms. Ross were to record a new album based on her new success on the billboards, what would you like her to do? I would love to see her reunite with Barry Gibb like Barbra Streisand did a little over a decade ago. It would be an album of almost all-new material [[ballads, dance numbers, modern), as well as her versions of All the Love in the World, Guilty and You Are My Love. If I'd have my own way, I'd include Ms. Streisand on the project - always wanted to hear Ross/Streisand duets.

I've always wanted a Diana Stevie Wonder Songbook lp [[it could be followed up by a Diana Smokey Wonder Songbook lp).

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    A comment from another thread inspired me to do this one. If Ms. Ross were to record a new album based on her new success on the billboards, what would you like her to do? I would love to see her reunite with Barry Gibb like Barbra Streisand did a little over a decade ago. It would be an album of almost all-new material [[ballads, dance numbers, modern), as well as her versions of All the Love in the World, Guilty and You Are My Love. If I'd have my own way, I'd include Ms. Streisand on the project - always wanted to hear Ross/Streisand duets.
    Great topic! I like the idea of Diana doing an album of Stevie tunes because she does them so well. [[She could do recorded versions of some of the ones she's done live, like "Ribbon In the Sky" and "I Just Called to Say I Love You"...which Diana's live version of the song is the only one I like.) She could do an American songbook type album of Motown tunes that she never recorded. Or maybe even pair her up with Valerie Simpson and see what the two of them could come up with. How about finally getting her in the studio for a Quincy Jones project post Wiz? And I also like the idea of her doing a duet album with Smokey Robinson. I think their voices would compliment one another very well at this point in time.

Old songs aka tony Bennett and rod Stewart or maybe a duets album with Stevie Smokey Beyonce Taylor Lionel etc

Seeing her on AMAs makes me feel like she should do "The Motown Songbook." She is really the Queen of Motown. Songs of Marvin, Stevie, Smokey, Lionel, Rick James, HDH, A&S and others. Maybe with a full orchestra and a major producer [[David Foster, Narada, etc.)

I'm hearing "More Love", "The Bells", "Sail On", "What Love Has Joined Together", "All This Love", "Love's In Need Of Love Today", "Glow" and "What's Going On" for starters. Maybe take another shot at "I Want You" and "Overjoyed." Duets with Smokey and Lionel.

What about an album reinterpreting some of her own songs? Totally new arrangements and approaches.

Some more of the classic American songbook - porgy and Bess. Cole porter. Rogers and hart.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Maybe take another shot at "I Want You" and "Overjoyed." Duets with Smokey and Lionel.
    What's up with her version of "Overjoyed"? I love it, although I prefer Stevie's. But she recorded it for a Christmas project and there's nothing Christmasy about it. I never did understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    What's up with her version of "Overjoyed"? I love it, although I prefer Stevie's. But she recorded it for a Christmas project and there's nothing Christmasy about it. I never did understand that.
    This has always made me scratch my head as well. Somehow, though, it fits perfectly on the album and I can’t imagine it without it! I guess it’s the “joy” aspect.

Well, I’ve said it before...

With the great successes of Diana’s tours in recent years and her prestigious awards [[“Kennedy Center,” “Presidential Medal of Freedom”), I simply cannot understand why she has not had a comprehensive box set anthology issued. There are soooo many things that could be included that I won’t even go there. Even if it were only three discs with a booklet, it would sell like wildfire in the lobbies of her concerts alone. Look at the excitement of DIAMOND DIANA and except for one remix, it contains nothing but a handful of her often released songs [[p.s. “I Love You More than Yesterday”....huh???)

One example: I recently attended a Darlene Love concert, maybe 1500 people. [[She was TERRIFIC by the way.) Anyway, at both the intermission and at the end of the show there were long lines of people buying her CDs from a kiosk in the lobby. I have seen this at other performers’ shows, too. Just think what Diana coukd sell in terms of an updated anthology at concerts alone!

I just do not understand. I am a huge Diana fan and this post is not a bashing. I just find the issue sad.

[[Note: Please do not turn this into a Diana vs. Darlene discussion. I merely used Ms Love sales strategy as an example. The issue here is the absence of a quality, updated anthology to cement Diana’s legacy and my feeling that it would SELL without a doubt. I didn’t mention that a recent photo shoot would be great, too.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 12-14-2017 at 09:55 PM.

I too would love to see Ross do a Motown album, or duets with Stevie and Smokey; as I've said many times, I would even more love to see Ross do a retro-soul album with the younger generation; Alicia Keys, Raphael Saadiq, or even Pharrell Williams, who all [[as they have expressed in the media) would love to work with her. Most of these cover albums, however, including Diana's I LOVE YOU and Aretha's SINGS THE GREAT DIVA CLASSICS, tend to be overly generic, almost karaoke-style, ready-made for Target. Instead, Ross could do what she did with STOLEN MOMENTS; get the best musicians together and make great music.

i saw a clip from youtube of Diana with Pavaroti and she was singing some classics .. I would like a standards album from her.
    Barry Gibb project would be nice but perhaps a leading ladies project
    I wouldn't mind if she did some work with Val Simpson.
    since Take Me Higher was one of my favorite albums , I vote for more of the same
    Last edited by daviddh; 12-16-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i saw a clip from youtube of Diana with Pavaroti and she was singing some classics .. I would like a standards album from her.
    Barry Gibb project would be nice but perhaps a leading ladies project
    Barry told me that he sent Diana some demos around the start of 2017 but he never heard anything back from her. He is also interested in doing a 3rd album with Streisand.
    I honestly think there is a better chance of her working with the likes of Alicia, Justin Timberlake and Pharrell. I am not saying it will definitely happen and nothing is confirmed but watch this space......

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I honestly think there is a better chance of her working with the likes of Alicia, Justin Timberlake and Pharrell. I am not saying it will definitely happen and nothing is confirmed but watch this space......
    I wonder if newer artists would want to collaborate with Ross. She is renowned as a glamorous diva but she is not widely regarded as a "substantive" creative artist like Aretha or Streisand. Her last cross-generational collaboration was with Al B. Sure almost 30 years ago.

Pharrell, Usher, Alicia Keys or Timberlake want to be relevant and on radio. They are already "senior status" among artists popular at radio. I don't know that they'd take a detour to work with Ross.

Barry told me that he sent Diana some demos around the start of 2017 but he never heard anything back from her. He is also interested in doing a 3rd album with Streisand.
    I am surprised that Diana didn't return Barry's call at least to thank him. just my opinion on that. but I would like to see her do a new collection. maybe a few songs from each.
    she seems to be in a good place right now and the new remix will be at #7 on the dance charts this week.
    I wouldn't mind another Ross remix project. songs like One Love in My Lifetime could get another chance to be heard.

I don't understand why she doesn't have a record deal while other like Streisand and John Mellencamp do. I know she doesn't want to tour a lot but,...with the right pr and performances it could work. sorry I know its kinda off topic

Wow! It's something Mr. Gibb wrote material for her. It's too bad she doesn't seem interested. I have wanted another album with her/Gibb for a long time. I think Eaten Alive is a masterpiece. I think hers and Barry's voices go so well together. A proper duet would be nice, too.

Not sure how it would all fit but I would start with Nile Rodgers then Stevie Wonder and then Valerie Simpson as writers and producers.

Actually I think Barry’s and Diana’s voices were totally incompatible. The nasality of both doesn’t blend well. His falsetto sound doesn’t work w her voice

I'll go for the Motown Songbook....nothing overly electronic or pulsy boom boom club music. I am not attempting to introduce her to new fans here, just revisit some favorites for the older fans. Perhaps update Reflections & Someday We'll Be Together, and sandwich well known songs from other Motown artists she's never done: Shop Around, Every Little Bit Hurts, I Could Never Love Another, One More Heartache, Forever, It Should Have Been Me, I'm Ready For Love, The One Who Really Loves You, The Love You Save, Never Can Say Goodbye...maybe even Up The Ladder. There! I've done all the preliminary work. [[can I get Project Manager credit and a paycheck???)
    Last edited by gman; 12-17-2017 at 04:49 AM.

At least a decade or more ago, in my mind I had a vision of a Diana Ross album with the following graphic. Diana behind the wheel of a vintage Cadillac, with a highway sign of Detroit in the rear view mirror. The music would be covers of he favourite Motown songs, and maybe a few remakes of her greatest Supremes era recordings. Fast forward to today and I see many fans are of the same mind. I don't know if Diana or family members read the posts of this site, but I hope someone puts the bug in her ear!

My fear was that Ross was slowing down and eyeing retirement. I caught a little bit of her HSN appearance on Youtube and was glad to hear her say she isn't going anywhere. Hopefully all of this recent Ross publicity is gearing toward a new music project.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Actually I think Barry’s and Diana’s voices were totally incompatible. The nasality of both doesn’t blend well. His falsetto sound doesn’t work w her voice
    I agree 1000 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    At least a decade or more ago, in my mind I had a vision of a Diana Ross album with the following graphic. Diana behind the wheel of a vintage Cadillac, with a highway sign of Detroit in the rear view mirror. The music would be covers of he favourite Motown songs, and maybe a few remakes of her greatest Supremes era recordings. Fast forward to today and I see many fans are of the same mind. I don't know if Diana or family members read the posts of this site, but I hope someone puts the bug in her ear!
    Evan reads this forum on a fairly regular basis. Don't think any of her daughters do.

Oops - duplicated!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 12-18-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Though I'd love to see a new Diana lp I'm not remotely on board with Ross re-making any of her prior work or re-making others' Motown hits. That said I've been wanting Stevie Wonder and Smokey songbooks forever, but more along the line of the lesser-known material. I also love Diana's reading of uptempo American classics [[such as 'There's A Small Hotel') and I think a swing jazz lp would be superb.

Remakes always seem desperate and I can't think of a single instance where one was artistically worthwhile. I don't think we'd see this anyway - as far as I can tell Diana is a forward-looking lady!

Diana Ross
    Produced and Arranged by Jimmy Webb

i have an interesting cd from the 90s. Entitle Four By Four and contains 4 tracks by four of the greats - Ella, billie, Sarah and Dinah. Something like that could be an interesting idea. Take four famous composers or four classic artists.

Could be four motown producers
    four of the classic american songbook - gerschwin, porter, r&h, berlin
    four major broadway/movie soundtrack tunes
    four classic artists - ella, josephine, sarah and dinah since she's already done so much with billie

i agree though that it CANNOT sound like a karaoke machine like the I Love You set.

cant believe I LOVE YOU got released. what was she thinking. a few good songs

Especially Lovely Day

I wouldn’t be keen on rehashing her hits or other Motown hits; nor duets although there’s been fewer of those in recent years

An album of jazz or classic American songbook holds much more appeal to me

I thought Blue was one of her best albums ever

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Though I'd love to see a new Diana lp I'm not remotely on board with Ross re-making any of her prior work or re-making others' Motown hits. That said I've been wanting Stevie Wonder and Smokey songbooks forever, but more along the line of the lesser-known material. I also love Diana's reading of uptempo American classics [[such as 'There's A Small Hotel') and I think a swing jazz lp would be superb.

Remakes always seem desperate and I can't think of a single instance where one was artistically worthwhile. I don't think we'd see this anyway - as far as I can tell Diana is a forward-looking lady!
    I tend to agree. The songbooks have been done to death and much as i love them no-one can interpret them better than the likes of Ella, Sinatra, Tony Bennett etc etc so if i wish to hear these wonderful songs i tend to turn to these consummate artists and listen to their definitive versions. Your suggestion of an album of the lesser covered old classics is actually not a bad idea.I also quite like the idea of Diana working with Nile Rogers, Pharrell etc. These artists would have the gift of knowing which songs would be better suited to Diana's maturing voice. I would also like her to reunite with Barry Gibb which would of course be a much more retro album. I think Diana has it in her to pull off a couple more albums. She has no intentions of retiring from domestic touring when it fits in with her family commitments, but she is yet to come to an agreement with a record company due to her demands, some of which are excessive, but with a little give and take on both sides maybe that could all change in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    cant believe I LOVE YOU got released. what was she thinking. a few good songs
    Yeah, the album has it's moments but overall the sound was very bad. Fans waited all those years for a new album and got this? It wasn't a good look. With better production I think the album would've done better and maybe even entered recent classic territory. She picked good songs.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Especially Lovely Day

I wouldn’t be keen on rehashing her hits or other Motown hits; nor duets although there’s been fewer of those in recent years

An album of jazz or classic American songbook holds much more appeal to me

I thought Blue was one of her best albums ever
    The jazz thing is a maybe for me, but she does do those kinds of songs very well. And jazz might be best for her current range. If the American songbook is Motown, 60s/70s R&B, then I'm all for it. I don't want to hear Ross doing more Rodgers and Hart. Give the woman some soul.

Berry Gordy executive produces this CD called Straight Forward.

2 new songs produced by Chic
    2 new songs produced by HDH
    2 new songs produced by [[Nick &) Val
    2 new song produced by Barry Gibb
    New duet with Lionel Richie

Straight to number one
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-19-2017 at 11:10 AM.

I tend to agree. The songbooks have been done to death and much as i love them no-one can interpret them better than the likes of Ella, Sinatra, Tony Bennett etc etc so if i wish to hear these wonderful songs i tend to turn to these consummate artists and listen to their definitive versions. Your suggestion of an album of the lesser covered old classics is actually not a bad idea.I also quite like the idea of Diana working with Nile Rogers, Pharrell etc. These artists would have the gift of knowing which songs would be better suited to Diana's maturing voice. I would also like her to reunite with Barry Gibb which would of course be a much more retro album. I think Diana has it in her to pull off a couple more albums. She has no intentions of retiring from domestic touring when it fits in with her family commitments, but she is yet to come to an agreement with a record company due to her demands, some of which are excessive, but with a little give and take on both sides maybe that could all change in 2018.
    Gibbs' recent solo LP was quite excellent; seems like he's still got it as a songwriter!

Ross is beyond her hitmaking years. Pairing her with contemporary writers or producers is a wasted effort and potentially embarrassing. Streisand succeeds because she hasn't tried to be contemporary in more than 30 years. She carries her audience and attracts new followers along the way.

Ross has ownership of the Motown legacy. While she still has her mature voluptuous voice [[as Luther said) she should go into the studio with real musicians, and creative and dedicated arrangers and producers who understand the Motown tradition. Today she should only be recording to burnish her legacy and counterbalance blemishes like "I Love You." There are many well-known Motown gems that she's never recorded that would suit her well in her golden years. Having the Queen of Motown celebrate the Motown legacy would be a marketing opportunity for the audience most likely to have any interest in a Ross recording [[i.e. very grown folks). It could have commercial potential similar to what "Unforgettable" did for Natalie Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Berry Gordy executive produces this CD called Straight Forward.

2 new songs produced by Chic
    2 new songs produced by HDH
    2 new songs produced by [[Nick &) Val
    2 new song produced by Barry Gibb
    New duet with Lionel Richie

Straight to number one
    Ooh, I love this. We all win!

Another idea came to mind. The Pet Shop Boys helped revive the career of Dusty Springfield, and their sound is awesome. Perhaps they could write/produce Ms Ross an album. Would love to also hear her renditions of In Private, Reputation and What Have I Done to Deserve This.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Gibbs' recent solo LP was quite excellent; seems like he's still got it as a songwriter!
    Barry is a musical genius and still has lots to offer the music world. He really does want to work with Diana, Barbra and Celine again. He has lots of good songs up his sleeve. He wouldn't work with Dionne again which is a great shame because Heartbreaker was something of a classic in my opinion, but Dionne didn't like it and told anyone who would listen just that. Barry is still angry about that to this very day. It was unprofessional of Dionne to publicly criticise the album just as she was supposed to be promoting it. Not a shrewd move.

Barry is a musical genius and still has lots to offer the music world. He really does want to work with Diana, Barbra and Celine again. He has lots of good songs up his sleeve. He wouldn't work with Dionne again which is a great shame because Heartbreaker was something of a classic in my opinion, but Dionne didn't like it and told anyone who would listen just that. Barry is still angry about that to this very day. It was unprofessional of Dionne to publicly criticise the album just as she was supposed to be promoting it. Not a shrewd move.
    It's always disappointing to hear things like this about Dionne, as one does quite frequently. Heartbreaker is a wonderful lp that I still spin in it's entirety. So I guess we have extra Barry songs for Diana, Barbra, and Celine!!

temptationsfan500 Guest
    Diana Ross sings The Temptations. Smokey Robinson could produce, at least the songs he wrote. Maybe get Dennis Edwards, if he's feeling well, to duet with her on one song. Another song he current line up The Temptations could sing with her. Now which Temptations songs could work for Diana Ross at this stage?

Why would she want to sing another groups songs??

One of her contemporaries WILL do "The Motown Songbook" and have great success with it. Then her fans [[and others) will moan about how she let Celine, Rod Stewart or Bette Midler beat her to it.

Another idea came to mind. The Pet Shop Boys helped revive the career of Dusty Springfield, and their sound is awesome. Perhaps they could write/produce Ms Ross an album. Would love to also hear her renditions of In Private, Reputation and What Have I Done to Deserve This.
    Actually that idea was discussed in the early 90's. Diana was a big admirer of Dusty as a vocalist, and she loved a couple of the songs the Pet Shop Boys did with Dusty. The idea never got beyond initial discussions, but it was briefly discussed. It could have worked had the idea been properly planned out. Both Neil and Chris were and still are fans of most of the divas including Diana.

I like the idea but with new PSB songs. Loves me some Liza & PSB!