[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey Robinson in Macys Thanksgiving Parade

Although I did not watch the entire parade, I did happen to catch Smokey Robinson performing Christmas Everyday to promote his new release. Here is further information in case anyone is interested. Did anyone else see it?

http://columbusnewsteam.com/abc_clas...abcid36000699/

I did not watch it either. I hope someone uploads it to Youtube. Thanks Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Although I did not watch the entire parade, I did happen to catch Smokey Robinson performing Christmas Everyday to promote his new release. Here is further information in case anyone is interested. Did anyone else see it?

http://columbusnewsteam.com/abc_clas...abcid36000699/
    I saw it. Smokey came on in the last hour of the telecast. Like the other performers, he sang a minute or so of his song before his float moved on. He sounded really good.

Yes, I saw it. Smokey looked and sounded fantastic! The guy just doesn't age! I was thinking they rudely cut him off mid-song for another damned commercial break, but if his float had moved out of the camera's view, then I guess it couldn't be helped.

Here we go..............

Thanks for refreshing our memory, Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yes, I saw it. Smokey looked and sounded fantastic! The guy just doesn't age! I was thinking they rudely cut him off mid-song for another damned commercial break, but if his float had moved out of the camera's view, then I guess it couldn't be helped.
    Gary, many years ago I worked at Santaland at Macy's. I was chosen to be an elf [[my job there) to be on the Clydesdale float with Linda Ronstadt. She was doing a version of La Boheme at the Public Theatre. We were scheduled to stop in front of Macy's so she could lip synch her song for 45 seconds. That was all the time she had! Unfortunately, she got sick and we had a new country/western duo on the float. We did NOT stop in front of Macy's. Those floats are timed and when the time ends they just go. If you taped the parade, you can see Andy Grammer not quite ready for that as his song ends, and he topples a bit to one side. Smokey's ending was fairly typical - he had over a minute, and then they cut to the walkers as the song ended so they could get the commercial bump in.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Gary, many years ago I worked at Santaland at Macy's. I was chosen to be an elf [[my job there) to be on the Clydesdale float with Linda Ronstadt. She was doing a version of La Boheme at the Public Theatre. We were scheduled to stop in front of Macy's so she could lip synch her song for 45 seconds. That was all the time she had! Unfortunately, she got sick and we had a new country/western duo on the float. We did NOT stop in front of Macy's. Those floats are timed and when the time ends they just go. If you taped the parade, you can see Andy Grammer not quite ready for that as his song ends, and he topples a bit to one side. Smokey's ending was fairly typical - he had over a minute, and then they cut to the walkers as the song ended so they could get the commercial bump in.
    Thanks for explaining, Thom. I've always wondered how that worked. I'm not a regular viewer of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't an intentional snub to Smokey, as I had originally feared. BTW, you were a Macy's Elf, eh? Cute! You oughta post a photo here. I'd love to see it! - Gary

You're welcome Phillies/Motown Gary. I've been to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and I can tell you nothing is ever quite like it appears on television.

I was only able to catch a little of Smokey Robinson's apparance at the Thanksgiving Day. Like other posters have said, he still sounds and looks great. And it's great that we still have some of the original stars of The Motown Era [[like Smokey) going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    BTW, you were a Macy's Elf, eh? Cute! You oughta post a photo here. I'd love to see it! - Gary
    Just for you, Gary. I was an elf for two years and a Super Elf for one. A Super Elf acted as a manager, an elf and also a Santa [[see picture reference). My elf name [[yes, we were encouraged to create an elf character), was Silver Bells, the world's oldest elf. I spoke like my Grandmother from Virginia and took small but quick steps! The picture below is Silver Bells acting funny for some kids [[who I photoshopped out of the picture). Remember, you asked for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images