[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas end their 8 U.K dates triumphantly

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas [[her Sisters Louis and Delphine) wrapped up their 8 nights in the U.K last Saturday night, with their final show in London.
    I admit I had some reservation in going, given some of comments here on the forum regarding Martha's voice.

All i can say is, whatever shortcomings her voice may have compared to the soaring majesty of her 1960's sound, Martha MORE than made up for with sheer showmanship.

The night truly was a masterclass in entertainment. From all 3 ladies. They sure know their craft.

The icing on the cake with Martha is her charm and warmth. She really knows how to connect with an audience and make everyone feel very special.

Highlights for me was 'No-one there', 'Many rivers to cross', 'God bless the child', and 'Watch your back' It was a wonderful night. I hope they return to the U.K next year. 'I practically live in Britain', Martha said at the show. 'I only go back home to change!'

Name:  IMAG1415.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  93.4 KB

What a great post and wonderful picture! Glad you had a great time and that the tour was such a success. And, goodness - the ladies do look fine! Thanks -

Now, that's a wonderful review AND photo, lakedistrictlad1 - !

Our most estimable fellow SD member, theboyfromxtown, recently started a thread including links to reviews of Martha, Lois and Delphine's UK tour....but he inadvertently posted it on the Clubhouse forum [[!)

Some people reading this here may have missed it, so I will 'bump' it, to accompany this thread.

During their tour, I saw Martha, Lois and Delphine at the Salisbury City Hall, Wiltshire. I sent two PMs to theboyfromxtown, first thing the following morning.

With John's agreement, and just for everyone else who did [[as well as those who didn't, or couldn't!) attend any of Martha's UK shows, here is the content of my PMs, to share.

"John...if you get a chance to see Martha and the girls this time, GRAB it. Saw her in Salisbury last night. Went along, thinking it would be the usual reassuring trot through of the hits, with the pronounced vibrato and those high 'shriek' notes.

I was blown away. Sat there transfixed, with my mouth open. I've not heard Martha sing like that in YEARS. She seems to have lost weight. Still a rounded figure, but facially much more like 40 years ago. The voice is pitched down, still the vibrato [[which in many ways I actually quite like...it adds a richness to the lower tones)..but far more focused and powerful, with the old 'attack'...and also now very expressive...as in expressively 'breathing' some of the lyrics, even in the middle of a line, and also much more fluid body language. And Lois and Delphine just never seemed to stop moving and singing....

In a show longer than the scheduled one hour and a half [[she overran, and was joking with the stage manager standing in the wings), I don't recall ONE of those stratospheric 'squeaks'. Martha's brought them down at least one octave, and just hollers. Sure, her technique has changed a lot since the 60s, and she still likes to 'soul' at times slightly more than my own preference...and it could have been a fluke performance...but I've not heard Martha sound so effective and commanding, direct and sweet on stage, in years, maybe ever...let me know if you hear if anyone else has seen her this time, with similar findings...."

John responded, confirming he always enjoys Martha's shows.

[[PM #2)....

"You certainly would have enjoyed this show. I could have made some changes [[!), but it was still really good.

I forgot to mention that for much of the show, certainly the first part, Martha used a stand mike. I'm wondering if that helps her breath control, as I couldn't hear that tight strain in her voice. I'm not a big one for 'souling', and she was still doing some of that, but in a lower key, sounding more like a holler [[there was some audience participation when she was encouraging us all to start from a low note, and slowly raise it up to a holler..which makes me think that's something she's been working on).

'I'm Ready For Love' sounded just like the record. I closed my eyes, and could hear that 'riiiiiing' in her voice. The band was really on it. At one point I just stared at her up there and thought "Well, I'm sat here watching, in terms of experience, a really world class act....".

I emailed City Hall to thank them, and they immediately confirmed that staff, volunteers and management all thought she put on a great show, and also that the audience was extremely appreciative [[I suspect some were stunned!).

We waited around in the foyer for them to come out, and hovered...but as it was a long journey home, without joining the long line of 70-100 people...a great cheer when Martha arrived through the door from the auditorium. No immediate sign of Lois and Delphine, so we left after about 15-25 mins. A Facebook comment confirmed that Lois & Delphine did indeed come out, and all the sisters gave a lot of time to everyone waiting."

I smiled all the way home, thinking 'It's been such a long time since the 60s, and you're still here. You go Martha, you go!"
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 11-20-2017 at 10:31 AM.

They're looking good in that picture. Thanks lakedistrictlad1.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Martha Reeves & The Vandellas [[her Sisters Louis and Delphine) wrapped up their 8 nights in the U.K last Saturday night, with their final show in London.
    I admit I had some reservation in going, given some of comments here on the forum regarding Martha's voice.

All i can say is, whatever shortcomings her voice may have compared to the soaring majesty of her 1960's sound, Martha MORE than made up for with sheer showmanship.

The night truly was a masterclass in entertainment. From all 3 ladies. They sure know their craft.

The icing on the cake with Martha is her charm and warmth. She really knows how to connect with an audience and make everyone feel very special.

Highlights for me was 'No-one there', 'Many rivers to cross', 'God bless the child', and 'Watch your back' It was a wonderful night. I hope they return to the U.K next year. 'I practically live in Britain', Martha said at the show. 'I only go back home to change!'

See...I told ya!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Now, that's a wonderful review AND photo, lakedistrictlad1 - !

Our most estimable fellow SD member, theboyfromxtown, recently started a thread including links to reviews of Martha, Lois and Delphine's UK tour....but he inadvertently posted it on the Clubhouse forum [[!)

Some people reading this here may have missed it, so I will 'bump' it, to accompany this thread.

During their tour, I saw Martha, Lois and Delphine at the Salisbury City Hall, Wiltshire. I send two PMs to theboyfromxtown, first thing the following morning.

With John's agreement, and just for everyone else who did [[as well as those who didn't, or couldn't!) attend any of Martha's UK shows, here is the content of my PMs, to share.

"John...if you get a chance to see Martha and the girls this time, GRAB it. Saw her in Salisbury last night. Went along, thinking it would be the usual reassuring trot through of the hits, with the pronounced vibrato and those high 'shriek' notes.

I was blown away. Sat there transfixed, with my mouth open. I've not heard Martha sing like that in YEARS. She seems to have lost weight. Still a rounded figure, but facially much more like 40 years ago. The voice is pitched down, still the vibrato [[which in many ways I actually quite like...it adds a richness to the lower tones)..but far more focused and powerful, with the old 'attack'...and also now very expressive...as in expressively 'breathing' some of the lyrics, even in the middle of a line, and also much more fluid body language. And Lois and Delphine just never seemed to stop moving and singing....

In a show longer than the scheduled one hour and a half [[she overran, and was joking with the stage manager standing in the wings), I don't recall ONE of those stratospheric 'squeaks'. Martha's brought them down at least one octave, and just hollers. Sure, her technique has changed a lot since the 60s, and she still likes to 'soul' at times slightly more than my own preference...and it could have been a fluke performance...but I've not heard Martha sound so effective and commanding, direct and sweet on stage, in years, maybe ever...let me know if you hear if anyone else has seen her this time, with similar findings...."

John responded, confirming he always enjoys Martha's shows.

[[PM #2)....

"You certainly would have enjoyed this show. I could have made some changes [[!), but it was still really good.

I forgot to mention that for much of the show, certainly the first part, Martha used a stand mike. I'm wondering if that helps her breath control, as I couldn't hear that tight strain in her voice. I'm not a big one for 'souling', and she was still doing some of that, but in a lower key, sounding more like a holler [[there was some audience participation when she was encouraging us all to start from a low note, and slowly raise it up to a holler..which makes me think that's something she's been working on).

'I'm Ready For Love' sounded just like the record. I closed my eyes, and could hear that 'riiiiiing' in her voice. The band was really on it. At one point I just stared at her up there and thought "Well, I'm sat here watching, in terms of experience, a really world class act....".

I emailed City Hall to thank them, and they immediately confirmed that staff, volunteers and management all thought she put on a great show, and also that the audience was extremely appreciative [[I suspect some were stunned!).

We waited around in the foyer for them to come out, and hovered...but as it was a long journey home, without joining the long line of 70-100 people...a great cheer when Martha arrived through the door from the auditorium. No immediate sign of Lois and Delphine, so we left after about 15-25 mins. A Facebook comment confirmed that Lois & Delphine did indeed come out, and all the sisters gave a lot of time to everyone waiting."

I smiled all the way home, thinking 'It's been such a long time since the 60s, and you're still here. You go Martha, you go!"
    That John's a man of many words! lol

honest man Guest
    Wonderful.i have seen Martha live and out of 3.000 plus she invited me on stage with her. Tremendous memory.love her.cheers

Ahhh, how great and lovely to read! Thanks for sharing Roger and John

Here is a fun rarity as we discuss Martha and The Vandellas!!!

Name:  B2AAB3B6-21C4-4BAA-9D0F-3E1AC8B0E85F.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  12.7 KB

Martha spends up to 5 months a year in the UK such is the demand for her. Her voice is not what it was, but as you rightly say she more than makes up for that with her wonderful stage presence and sheer enthusiasm. The good news is that she will be returning to the UK next year for at least two more tours, and probably more after that. She is always very welcome here, and there is a mutual love and respect between the artist and her audience. Long may she continue to entertain us. A true icon.

DR Reeves looks great and looks like shes lost some weight. God bless this dear lady cause shes Motown greatest ambassador and the face and voice of Detroit. Long may Dr Martha Reeves reign.