[REMOVE ADS]

Break The Ice - Lamont Dozier

Inspired by Marv's Lamont Dozier thread, here's one of my own... and DAMN it's fantastic!!!

Wow, this has nearly slipped to the second page of threads... check the song out guys, it's amazing!

Tom
    Wow! I'm surprised no one else has a commented, maybe they don't like it as much as us two. Anyone else?
    Great find Tom.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Tom
    Wow! I'm surprised no one else has a commented, maybe they don't like it as much as us two. Anyone else?
    Great find Tom.
    Paul
    Haaa, I thought this thread was long dead, LOL, thanks Paul! Hey, I’m glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Surprisingly good I thought

I must look up up and see what else Lamont has done

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    I must look up up and see what else Lamont has done
    Paul, let me try and find you some of his best stuff...

This one is a Disco party jam!!!!

Lovely groovy number...

Catchy midtempo TUNE!!!

How ‘bout the original recording of “Going Back To My Roots”...!!? Such a cool song

I have known about [[and loved) the Odyssey version of the song long before I even knew who Lamont Dozier was...! Guess I’ve been appreciating Lamont’s music for longer than I know

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Catchy midtempo TUNE!!!

This is a great tune. I used to buy Lamont's solo albums on import back in the 70's and 80's. The cd era gave us some magnificent compilations of his work which i still play regularly.What a classy artist he has been for over 50 years.

'Trying To Hold On To My Woman' is Lamont's masterpiece. Unabridged 7 minutes and 16 seconds of absolute soul perfection. Finest soul record ever made in my opinion, always has been and always will be. Unusually, not written or produced by Lamont, but his sidekick McKinley Jackson and arranged by Gene Page.

Here's Lamont on Soul Train performing the abridged single release

Catchy midtempo TUNE!!!

Back in the mid 80's, BBC Radio One just had one top radio show that was 100% soul content. One week, the DJ asked people to send in 3 recommended tracks & he would pick the best selections & play them on upcoming shows. I sent in 3 tracks which were 'summer weather related' ... [[it was summer at the time) ... one of my selections was "COOL ME OUT" ... needless to say, it was one of the 1st sets he featured on his show.

Lamont had a hit with Fish Ain't Bitin'. Perhaps not a lot has changed since this song..... disillusion with a disappointing President at the time.
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 09-28-2017 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    'Trying To Hold On To My Woman' is Lamont's masterpiece. Unabridged 7 minutes and 16 seconds of absolute soul perfection. Finest soul record ever made in my opinion, always has been and always will be. Unusually, not written or produced by Lamont, but his sidekick McKinley Jackson and arranged by Gene Page.

This is indeed a gem Mike. Possibly not my very favourite Lamont song but certainly up there with his very best.

Yes, Lamont's "Break The Ice" is a fantastic recording. I wonder if Aretha could have done justice to this when she worked with Lamont on her "Touch Me Up" sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Back in the mid 80's, BBC Radio One just had one top radio show that was 100% soul content. One week, the DJ asked people to send in 3 recommended tracks & he would pick the best selections & play them on upcoming shows. I sent in 3 tracks which were 'summer weather related' ... [[it was summer at the time) ... one of my selections was "COOL ME OUT" ... needless to say, it was one of the 1st sets he featured on his show.
    That’s great, jsmith! Actually the show sounds really good, and you got “Cool Me Out” played, nice one.

Are there still shows like that on the BBC? I dunno
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-29-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Yes, Lamont's "Break The Ice" is a fantastic recording. I wonder if Aretha could have done justice to this when she worked with Lamont on her "Touch Me Up" sessions.
    Hey Mark, it is, and thank you for commenting! I didn’t know about the Aretha-Lamont collaboration however and will have to check that out!!!!

Hey Mark, it is, and thank you for commenting! I didn’t know about the Aretha-Lamont collaboration however and will have to check that out!!!!
    Tom, the album was SWEET PASSION. Dozier did a good chunk of the production.

Sansradio and TomatoTom123, in my excitement over hearing Lamont Dozier's killer track, "Break The Ice," I confused the title of one of his compositions as the title track of the Atlantic label album he produced for Aretha. Yes, it is "Sweet Passion." Aretha came to Edmonton, Alberta to the Jubilee Auditorium to tape a television special at about the time "Sweet Passion" was released. Unfortunately she had pulled a chest muscle [[so she stated) by an enthusiastic audience in Detroit shortly before arriving in Edmonton, and after attempting to perform about five or six songs, shut down the taping. She returned several months later, and taped a second show. I have seen clips on Youtube. She performed "Touch Me Up" live and asked for someone to come up to dance with her. I didn't need to be asked twice, and brushing by a security guard by the stage steps who stated, "you don't want to do this," I whisked by him and me and another fellow "bumped" with 'Re for about a minute and a half. I touched her hand and it felt smooth as silk. Sadly the clip I've seen has us dancing with Aretha cut out. The album has never been re-issued in CD format in North America, but I did purchase an authorized Germany CD copy.Name:  41gn7yB8ShL.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  29.3 KB

By the way, when Aretha returned for the 2nd show in February, 1978, her Rhythm Section was augmented by The Tommy Banks Orchestra. Subsequent programs in the series featured artists like Dionne Warwick and Tom Jones.

https://youtu.be/hBBKOlTyZb8
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 09-29-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Wowwwww, Mark! Incredible!

SWEET PASSION was a great album and should have been much better promoted. Lamont produced all but one track, with Aretha co-producing and composing much of the material. HB Barnum arranged When I think About You, and Lamont's brother Reggie was the recoding / mixing engineer. Ultimately, it has Lamont's stamp all over it.

Lamont co wrote most of Richard Popcorn Wylie's ABC album..... Lamont all over it...

Future Flight album had the same crew and Lamont all over it...

Zingara...James Ingram lead singer and Lamont at the helm with his usual cast of characters.. [[Levi would have also done a good job on this song)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Sansradio and TomatoTom123, in my excitement over hearing Lamont Dozier's killer track, "Break The Ice," I confused the title of one of his compositions as the title track of the Atlantic label album he produced for Aretha. Yes, it is "Sweet Passion." Aretha came to Edmonton, Alberta to the Jubilee Auditorium to tape a television special at about the time "Sweet Passion" was released. Unfortunately she had pulled a chest muscle [[so she stated) by an enthusiastic audience in Detroit shortly before arriving in Edmonton, and after attempting to perform about five or six songs, shut down the taping. She returned several months later, and taped a second show. I have seen clips on Youtube. She performed "Touch Me Up" live and asked for someone to come up to dance with her. I didn't need to be asked twice, and brushing by a security guard by the stage steps who stated, "you don't want to do this," I whisked by him and me and another fellow "bumped" with 'Re for about a minute and a half. I touched her hand and it felt smooth as silk. Sadly the clip I've seen has us dancing with Aretha cut out. The album has never been re-issued in CD format in North America, but I did purchase an authorized Germany CD copy.Name:  41gn7yB8ShL.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  29.3 KB

By the way, when Aretha returned for the 2nd show in February, 1978, her Rhythm Section was augmented by The Tommy Banks Orchestra. Subsequent programs in the series featured artists like Dionne Warwick and Tom Jones.

https://youtu.be/hBBKOlTyZb8
    Wow, cool story mark

SWEET PASSION was a great album and should have been much better promoted. Lamont produced all but one track, with Aretha co-producing and composing much of the material. HB Barnum arranged When I think About You, and Lamont's brother Reggie was the recoding / mixing engineer. Ultimately, it has Lamont's stamp all over it.

DAMN that’s fantastic! Wow, I loved it. I really need to check out Aretha’s whole career besides the few songs I know/have.

BTW, there’s something about that track that reminds me of “It’s The Same Old Song”, which of course Lamont was the original writer and producer of... is it just me hearing this? Lol

And thank you, Mike, for posting this. I shall check out those next few videos now too
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-30-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Lamont co wrote most of Richard Popcorn Wylie's ABC album..... Lamont all over it...

Oooh, NICE track.

Future Flight album had the same crew and Lamont all over it...
    Wow, I could really hear Lamont singing lead there. And I can actually hear him on backing vocals

I have never heard of this group before and it seems this was their only album... [[a shame)...! Do you know much about them Mike? Or who’s singing lead?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-30-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Zingara...James Ingram lead singer and Lamont at the helm with his usual cast of characters.. [[Levi would have also done a good job on this song)
    OK, now this is FANTASTIC! Again with Lamont on backing vocals too!!! Love it

I don’t even know who Luther Ingram is [[I know) but I just love this!

Thanks for sharing Mike, I’m discovering a lot of fantastic music right here!!!

hi Tom Tom,

the final minute of BREAK THE ICE is the payoff , right when the ladies join in and it shifts into its high energy relentless gospel mode

I'm not the biggest Lamont Dozier fan , but I did buy the OUT HERE ON MY OWN LP when it was first released based on FISH AIN'T BITIN', but also played the cut TRYIN TO HOLD ON TO MY WOMAN off of it , I don't know, maybe a couple hundred times . The interlude going into it suggests someone's noticed the presence of a new kid in town ... a new guy named Barry White :

Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-30-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Tom, Lamont created a number of projects where he assembled talented musicians for studio albums. Future Flight was one example.

Future Flight was an R&B\soul\disco\funk quartet that was led by Lamont Dozier. The members consisted of Brynwood Tanner [[born Frank Dookun), David Swanson, Sy Jeffries and Anthony Patler.
    In 1981, they released their only self-titled debut album on Capitol Records. It’s unknown how or if the album ever charted.
    The only single released from the album “Dues\Hip-Notic Lady” which didn’t appear to make a lot of impact on the charts.

After that, it seems as if Future Flight faded into obscurity.
    Brywood Tanner wrote & produced music for artists such as Evelyn “Champagne” King, Glenn Jones and Jeffrey Osborne.
    David Swanson appeared on the soundtrack to the 1985 film “Fast Forward” on the track “Long as We Believe” [[a duet with Siedah Garrett).
    Anthony Patler has appeared on various artists’ albums such as General Caine, Lamont Dozier, Janet Jackson, Norman Dozier, Chaka Khan, Jon Gibson, Chico DeBarge, ABC and Rick Astley.
    It’s unknown what Sy Jeffries is up to these days.

Inspired by Marv's Lamont Dozier thread, here's one of my own... and DAMN it's fantastic!!!

Hey Tom, just played 'Break The Ice' and I think it's a great song. I also think it had the potential to be a big hit. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    hi Tom Tom,

the final minute of BREAK THE ICE is the payoff , right when the ladies join in and it shifts into its high energy relentless gospel mode

I'm not the biggest Lamont Dozier fan , but I did buy the OUT HERE ON MY OWN LP when it was first released based on FISH AIN'T BITIN', but also played the cut TRYIN TO HOLD ON TO MY WOMAN off of it , I don't know, maybe a couple hundred times . The interlude going into it suggests someone's noticed the presence of a new kid in town ... a new guy named Barry White :

Hi Boogie, yes, I agree, that last part is fabulous! Also I love the bit where it builds up to a mini-climax... “the power’s within ya, let it all hang out!!”... fantastic!

I’ve listened to “Trying To Hold On To My Woman” two or three times and I like it, but I don’t find myself falling in love with it. I’m guessing the song is one that needs to grow on you
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-03-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Hey Tom, just played 'Break The Ice' and I think it's a great song. I also think it had the potential to be a big hit. Thanks for sharing.
    Hey Eddie, I agree!! It’s so infectiously uplifting and even danceable, and commercial yet soulful. Unfortunately it wasn’t released as a single, so could never be a hit

And you’re welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yedY6DvgSDs

The Black Back album...his best

"Rose", from the Black Bach album, always puzzled me. This 1974 track, written by Freddie Gorman and Janie Bradford, was published by Jobete, so I always wondered whether there had previously been a Motown version.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    "Rose", from the Black Bach album, always puzzled me. This 1974 track, written by Freddie Gorman and Janie Bradford, was published by Jobete, so I always wondered whether there had previously been a Motown version.
    Assigned to the Originals. Assigned producer- Freddie Gorman

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Assigned to the Originals. Assigned producer- Freddie Gorman
    Thanks. Any idea what year it was written?

I discovered "Sight For Sore Eyes" from Lamont's Peddlin' Music On The Side Album and have come to believe that it is almost as good as "Break The Ice"... especially the intro... what do you think?

Hi Tom,
    Love the percussion on that one, however Break the Ice wins for me.
    all the the best
    Paul