[REMOVE ADS]

New TV Interview of Smokey Robinson 11-15-17

New interview with Smokey promoting his new Christmas CD which has three new Smokey songs.

I found his reasons for still touring at this stage of his career interesting.

I have always wondered why singers who are financially secure still tour the country with their shows. It has to be exausting for anyone, but for singers to contine doing it in their seventies, there has to be a special reason other than having to do it to keep a roof over their head.
    Smokey said that he can not find a replacement for what performing gives him. He said that he tried not doing it and went stir crazy. Performing gives him a charge that he does not get anywhere else. The interaction with the audience and their feedback and participation is a joy to him. Even if he is sick, it disapears once he is on stage and he does not get that anywhere else.

He also explains why he did not keep MY GIRL for himself. He tells that if it were not for the David Ruffin's voice and the Temptations, he probably never would have written the song. He wrote it specifically for them. But the song is his anthem as a writer.

Hopefully this link will get you to the interview. You may have to put in your local PBS station.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/...ey-robinson-2/
    Last edited by milven; 11-16-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Great interview with Smokey Robinson on Tavis Smiley. Thanks for sharing Milven.

That is very interesting to hear - its the spark that keeps him going. I guess that's true of most people. Those people I've know who retire and don't keep pursuing their interests often aren't around much longer. Explains a lot. Thanks for the link.

Thank you for this. Smokey is an inspiration.