[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes songs released as singles outside USA

Courtesy of The Supremes archive...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YanllsJX81o

I wonder why there were so many Dutch releases in '65? did they appear there? were these in addition to the USA/UK releases? Perhaps a earlier release was a great Dutch success [[Baby Love?) There are various pics of the Marvelettes in Holland and if other Motown groups were touring there maybe a big push of everything Motown was done at the time....anyone know if other groups had additional Dutch or Euro issues at the time? Who was on the tour with The Marvelettes? and were some other acts sent elsewhere in Europe while others were in the UK for the Ready Steady Go taping? BTW..I loved "Why" and even as a 10 yr. old thought for sure it was going to be a single...I even [[and still do) liked The Weight although it didn't sound like a hit choice..when I first got into High School and started listening to hard rock and doing stuff high school hippy hard rock fans did in the early 70's I heard the orig. version of The Weight by The Band I got laughed at and goofed on by saying "That's an old Supremes song"
    Last edited by gman; 10-31-2017 at 12:28 AM. Reason: grammer spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I wonder why there were so many Dutch releases in '65? did they appear there? were these in addition to the USA/UK releases? Perhaps a earlier release was a great Dutch success [[Baby Love?) There are various pics of the Marvelettes in Holland and if other Motown groups were touring there maybe a big push of everything Motown was done at the time....anyone know if other groups had additional Dutch or Euro issues at the time? Who was on the tour with The Marvelettes? and were some other acts sent elsewhere in Europe while others were in the UK for the Ready Steady Go taping? BTW..I loved "Why" and even as a 10 yr. old thought for sure it was going to be a single...I even [[and still do) liked The Weight although it didn't sound like a hit choice..when I first got into High School and started listening to hard rock and doing stuff high school hippy hard rock fans did in the early 70's I heard the orig. version of The Weight by The Band I got laughed at and goofed on by saying "That's an old Supremes song"
    They had this one really great and aggressively PR guy in Holland who's name escapes me at the moment. I too also always like "Why Must We Fall in Love". It was my favorite cut on that album. There were some good and some not so good songs released exclusively in foreign markets. I never knew about these until now.

could it be that BG and whoever thought they'd secure a wider rock audience by covering a fairly well known FM rock song? and if so did that take precedence over income and notice for a Motown branch publishing copyright & composer/artist? Perhaps it was planned for a single by Stevie...[[was it him or Smokey?) Eddies vocal and the lyric sis what does it for me here...Diana just supplies the nice flourishes

Marv: that was Pete Felleman who was responsible for Holland being the first country in 1962 with getting releases under the own Motown name.
    Until 1978 he was Motownlabelmanager Holland and at the same time Coördinator Motown for Europa.
    He also was a radio dj and big jazzlover.
    He died in 2000.

I believe he used to live near the house where I lived until 4 years ago.
    One morning I was walking to the metrostation and found 2 boxes with mostly sealed Motown lps next to a trash can.
    I could not take em all but took some Edwin Starr, R Dean Taylor, Stoney&Meatloaf and some unknown stuff with me to work
    Somebody must have cleaned out a house and found these and I believe it came from his old place.

I would love some neighbors like that!

Fascinating video - thanks for sharing, Luke.

Uptight was the B-side of Why [[Must We Fall In Love) in the UK and I always felt had it had the potential to be a big hit here.

could it be that BG and whoever thought they'd secure a wider rock audience by covering a fairly well known FM rock song? and if so did that take precedence over income and notice for a Motown branch publishing copyright & composer/artist? Perhaps it was planned for a single by Stevie...[[was it him or Smokey?) Eddies vocal and the lyric sis what does it for me here...Diana just supplies the nice flourishes
    Well they did just that when it was decided to cover all those well known standards. That was designed to reach a broader, older audience that patronize high end nightclubs. As far as "Why Must We....." the whole song just works for me.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-31-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Marv: that was Pete Felleman who was responsible for Holland being the first country in 1962 with getting releases under the own Motown name.
    Until 1978 he was Motownlabelmanager Holland and at the same time Coördinator Motown for Europa.
    He also was a radio dj and big jazzlover.
    He died in 2000.

I believe he used to live near the house where I lived until 4 years ago.
    One morning I was walking to the metrostation and found 2 boxes with mostly sealed Motown lps next to a trash can.
    I could not take em all but took some Edwin Starr, R Dean Taylor, Stoney&Meatloaf and some unknown stuff with me to work
    Somebody must have cleaned out a house and found these and I believe it came from his old place.
    Pete Fellerman, that's him! Thank you Jack020. I'm sorry to hear he has passed on. He really was directly responsible for Motown's music doing so well in Europe and in an indirect way, responsible for R&B/Soul music becoming so popular in the Netherlands. I saw a huge stack of sixties Motown albums outside of a house that had recently been in a fire. I had all the ones I saw on top of the pile, so I didn't take anything LOL!!!!

I believe the girls appeared at a big show in Holland that year, the Grand Gala du Disque or something like that. The amount of Dutch releases might be because their performance was well-received.

Never understood why THE WEIGHT was released as a single. Diana hardly sings on it, and it is an obvious copy of Aretha's version that had been released earlier in the year.

You are welcome Florence!

The Supremes were in Amsterdam in 1964 [[performing at the Carré Theater, included as bonus tracks on the "Greatest Hits Live" DVD of the 1968 Amsterdam concert) and came back in 1965 for a performance at the Grand Gala Du Disque, singing "Nothing But Heartaches" and "Somewhere." The day before they had a photo shoot with the fashion photographer Paul Huf, who also took a picture of the Supremes with Berry Gordy and one [[see below) of the Supremes with Pete Felleman.
    Name:  Paul Huf Supremes Pete Felleman.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  49.7 KB

That is an excellent picture and great additional information. Thank you Jaap!

'The Rhythmn of Life' was lifted from the GIT On Broadway soundtrack and released as a single in Australia and became a huge hit in early 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    'The Rhythmn of Life' was lifted from the GIT On Broadway soundtrack and released as a single in Australia and became a huge hit in early 1970.
    Now that's interesting since the "New Supremes" were hitting with "Up the Ladder to the Roof" in early 1970 in America.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now that's interesting since the "New Supremes" were hitting with "Up the Ladder to the Roof" in early 1970 in America.
    Yes, and I think that the success of 'Rhythm of Life' [[it went top 5 in Australia) overlapped the release of both The Supremes' 'Up The Ladder To The Roof' and Diana's 'Reach Out and Touch' singles and hampered the success of both as the lion's share of radio airplay here seemed to go with 'Rhythm Of Life'. Consequently 'Up The Ladder' barely scraped the top 40 in Australia and 'Reach Out and Touch' fared even worse.

Were Mary and Cindy on Rhythm Of Life?

If my memory serves me right it was just Diana Ross & The Temptations?

Certainly they were on other tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

Certainly they were on other tracks.
    You are correct. Just Ross & Tempts.

there are portions [[if not entire) GIT on youtube...sketches are horrible...but the performing has its moments...the Tempts "Fiddler" medley, and of course the Leading Lady medley was the talk of the town the next day...this [[for me) ushered in the era
    of tacky outfits and bad hair for the group that lasted thru '72...guess it was just the era, because there certainly was worse.

[QUOTE=florence;422447]Were Mary and Cindy on Rhythm Of Life?

You are right that Mary and Cindy do not sing on this track. However, when the single was released in Australia it was listed on the label as by Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Temptations. Being a youngster at the time and believing what I read, I strained my ears on countless plays to try and ascertain whether Mary and Cindy were indeed somewhere in the background. Alas my efforts were in vain! LOL

[QUOTE=Ozmo;422486]
    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

You are right that Mary and Cindy do not sing on this track. However, when the single was released in Australia it was listed on the label as by Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Temptations. Being a youngster at the time and believing what I read, I strained my ears on countless plays to try and ascertain whether Mary and Cindy were indeed somewhere in the background. Alas my efforts were in vain! LOL
    They did the same thing in the US when THE WAY YOU DO THE THINGS YOU DO from TCB, was used as the b-side for I'LL TRY SOMETHING NEW. I assumed Mary and Cindy were on it because the label said so. It wasn't until I finally got a copy of the album [[many years later) that I found out it was only Diana and the guys.

There is a very high voice on the final "yeahs" in Rhythm of Life...
    sounds female and not like DR to me...I actually liked the song and thought it was one of the shows better moments....TCB was all class an glamour [[I got no problem with tacky gowns, wigs, or sets there) and basically all familiar material...GIT was a big, everything is Gold Tinged disappointment to this 10 year old...People and If I Were A Rich Man we're the only 2 songs I knew other than Let The Sunshine In...even folks living on the moon must have known that one in '69..LOL!