[REMOVE ADS]

Motown and outside writers and producers

I was reading about David Ruffin's 1975 hit, "Walk Away From Love", and the author stated that Van McCoy produced the song and Charles Kipps wrote it and that Suzanne DePasse brokered the production deal. Does anyone know at what point Motown began to even consider or look outside of Motown for writers and producers and what the reasoning was? In the beginning of Motown and for a good while after, didn't they almost exclusively use contracted writers and producers?

Great question. Also true I guess for “the Supremes “1975 ? And Jimmy Webb I assume in 1972

Motown wasn't happy about Jimmy Webb being brought in do the album with the Supremes. I don't understand why as he was a former Motown songwriter.

I think this practice started in the 70's after Motown left for LA and a lot of songwriters/producers from the Detroit days were leaving the label. I can't think of any songwriter who did work for Motown in the 60's that wasn't signed to the label. There was talk at one point in the late 60's of bringing in Bacharach & David to work with the Supremes, but nothing came out of that. By the 70's the atmosphere was different as songwriters/producers were no longer exclusively signed to labels.

I assume that by "outside" you mean not tied to an internal Motown producers contract

Motown used "outside" producers even in the 60's. You only need to look at the check letter on the 45's to see who they were.

Even Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder were considered "outside" at one point.

My guess is that things had changed at Motown by the mid '70s. They were now working in L.A. & no longer had a huge roster of producers & songwriters as they had in the '60s. For me The Supremes album written & produced by Jimmy Webb in 1972 was a signal that they were ready to use 'outside' writers & producers.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My guess is that things had changed at Motown by the mid '70s. They were now working in L.A. & no longer had a huge roster of producers & songwriters as they had in the '60s. For me The Supremes album written & produced by Jimmy Webb in 1972 was a signal that they were ready to use 'outside' writers & producers.
    Then of course there was Moody Blues producer Tony Clarke, who recorded Simple Game among other tracks with the Four Tops in London in 1970

[QUOTE=soulwally;422031]Then of course there was Moody Blues producer Tony Clarke, who recorded Simple Game among other tracks with the Four Tops in London in 1970[/QUOTE

You're right Soulwally! I completely forgot about The Four Tops singles with producer Tony Clarke; "A Simple Game", "You Stole My Love" & "So Deep Within You".

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Then of course there was Moody Blues producer Tony Clarke, who recorded Simple Game among other tracks with the Four Tops in London in 1970
    Also, in 1969, Diana Ross did some recordings with outside producer Bones Howe.

Interesting. Hadn't heard that Motown was not supportive of bringing Webb in but that could certainly explain a lot regarding the fate of this project. The total lack of promotion. The fact none of his songs were released as a single

What else was the group recording post Floy Joy? Seems like there's a lack of vaulted tracks from late 72. I've heard that when J and L left Motown and berry hoped the Sups would disband but Mary pushed forward. But seems odd that in early 72 there was nothing else really being worked on.

Thanks for the wonderful responses. After I submitted this post I then thought about the move to L.A. and how that may have played a part in Motown's ways of doing things changing out of necessity perhaps.

Don't forget that by 75 HDH were again working for Motown and as outside producers. Obviously they worked w the sups and Diana. Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Don't forget that by 75 HDH were again working for Motown and as outside producers. Obviously they worked w the sups and Diana. Any others?
    They also worked with the Jackson 5 and the Tempts. But Lamont Dozier wasn't involved in these back to Motown recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They also worked with the Jackson 5 and the Tempts. But Lamont Dozier wasn't involved in these back to Motown recordings.
    That’s right. Wasn’t it Harold Beatty in his stead?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    That’s right. Wasn’t it Harold Beatty in his stead?
    On some of them, I believe so.

What did H and H do on Diana? Drawing a blank at the moment

Fire Don't Burn
    We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again
    You Build Me Up To Tear Me Down

Didn't the Hollands only work with the Tempts on their second album for Atlantic though, not at Motown after they left the company?

Didn't the Hollands only work with the Tempts on their second album for Atlantic though, not at Motown after they left the company?
    They have at least one song on the Tempts' HOUSE PARTY album.

They have at least one song on the Tempts' HOUSE PARTY album.
    Thanks for pointing that out reese.

Thanks for pointing that out reese.
    No problem. I looked at the album cover last night when I originally posted but I didn't remember which song. It turns out it was the single KEEP HOLDING ON.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I was reading about David Ruffin's 1975 hit, "Walk Away From Love", and the author stated that Van McCoy produced the song and Charles Kipps wrote it and that Suzanne DePasse brokered the production deal. Does anyone know at what point Motown began to even consider or look outside of Motown for writers and producers and what the reasoning was? In the beginning of Motown and for a good while after, didn't they almost exclusively use contracted writers and producers?
    My guess would be when they moved to LA from Detroit.