[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson's "Life's Been Good" or "Clarity" album- what happened???

A few years back, there was a significant amount of press announcing the release of Mary Wilson's "Clarity" album, which she recorded with the help of Holland Dozier. I particularly remember a story in Goldmine wherein Ms. Wilson discussed the album and a release date was mentioned. Of course, that date came and went with no album. Then, there were announcements that the album would be called "Life's Been Good To Me," and the title track and a second one "Darling Mother [[Johnny Mae)" were released digitally. Still no album. What happened? Why was the album never released? Is there any hope of it ever coming out?

I cannot understand why artists spend the time and money to record these albums, then fail to release them, even if only digitally. Wouldn't it be better to put the music out and sell a few copies than to never even release it?

Footnote: After the "Life's Been Good" album failed to come out, Mary did have a single with Sweet Feet Music [["Time To Move On") which charted in the dance field. Sweet Feet is now issuing some Facebook ads saying that Supremes fans have something to look forward to from them soon. They say "things are gonna get 'red hot' really soon." Perhaps this is new Mary music or it could be some re-mixed tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post

I cannot understand why artists spend the time and money to record these albums, then fail to release them, even if only digitally. Wouldn't it be better to put the music out and sell a few copies than to never even release it?
    I wouldn't know what the issue is exactly, but I would think it could be any number of things. Keep in mind that even big time record labels run into issues when trying to get a product released. I assume that people attempting to release something independently would have an even more difficult time if they ran into a snag.

Unfortunately, Mary has cried, "Wolf!" so many times regarding this album that I doubt many folks even pay any attention anymore. I've always felt it's a mistake to announce that something is "about to happen," but then which often never does. [[Our current President does a lot of this, and those stakes are considerably higher.) While it's nice to hear Mary say that she's been in the studio and is putting finishing touches on an album, she's said it much too often. Loyal fans now pretty much disregard it, so I can only assume she just mentions it in interviews for the sake of impressing people who have not been following her career as closely as we have. It does sound impressive — especially when she appends the bit about the Hollands' involvement — but I don't recall those guys ever mentioning it in recent interviews. Sadly, it degrades her credibility in the long run.

There's no money in it anymore; isn't that a big part of the problem? For all recording artists except the most successful current artists.

No money...but...

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There's no money in it anymore; isn't that a big part of the problem? For all recording artists except the most successful current artists.
    I do understand that there is very little money made off of CD's and record releases these days, and I also understand that the cost to promote a recording can be overwhelming. What I don't understand is when an artist or producer or record company spends the money and actually records a project, then does not release it.

Even if it is too expensive to create an actual CD, and even if an artist is only able to sell a small amount of a project, why don't they at least make that project available digitally? It is inexpensive to issue music in that manner, and doing so would be appreciated by fans and possibly others as well... A few copies sold and a few dollars made back seems to be better than spending all that money to record an album and never releasing it at all.

Marys been hawking that Clarity CD since 2002 lol. Im not sure it will ever see the light of day but if it does im going to buy it. Mother Dear was a lovely song. Lifes been good to me was meh IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    I do understand that there is very little money made off of CD's and record releases these days, and I also understand that the cost to promote a recording can be overwhelming. What I don't understand is when an artist or producer or record company spends the money and actually records a project, then does not release it.

Even if it is too expensive to create an actual CD, and even if an artist is only able to sell a small amount of a project, why don't they at least make that project available digitally? It is inexpensive to issue music in that manner, and doing so would be appreciated by fans and possibly others as well... A few copies sold and a few dollars made back seems to be better than spending all that money to record an album and never releasing it at all.
    What if the problem isn't the cost of creating and selling a cd? If an artist is everything on the project [[singer, writer, producer, musician) I imagine that's an easier product to produce and distribute. But what happens if there's an issue with a producer or a musician? What happens if there's an issue with copyright? I assume these things hold up projects all the time.

I love this song......

One of her very best releases. She got a huge response when she did it at a concert I attended a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    One of her very best releases. She got a huge response when she did it at a concert I attended a couple of years ago.
    It is one of her best. I love the sound, the feel of it. Mary sounds great here.

There's no interest in either but for a few scattered fans who know her name.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    There's no interest in either but for a few scattered fans who know her name.
    That may or may not be true, but i would be happy for Mary's fanbase if they were able to gain access to this unreleased material even if it is only digitally.

The few songs I've heard from it were great. I hope they decide how and who will distribute it soon.

Here is another cut from the CD, "Darling Mother -Johnnie Mae". Mary sounds superb!

Mary Wilson isn't the only former Supreme to talk up a project which didn't ultimately see the light of day.

For several years we have been promised an album by the FLOs and at one point there were even sound samples released of a couple of tracks. In the meantime both Fredi Poole and Lynda Lawrence have departed the group, so who knows when and if these tracks will ever be available.

Likewise, back in the day Diana Ross spoke on a number of occasions of her upcoming biopic of Josephine Baker, even releasing some publicity photos of herself in character. As we know this film unfortunately never eventuated.

I believe in Mary's case she was contracted by the Holland Brothers to record the album and consequently it is likely that it's they and not Mary who have control over it's release.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Mary Wilson isn't the only former Supreme to talk up a project which didn't ultimately see the light of day.

For several years we have been promised an album by the FLOs and at one point there were even sound samples released of a couple of tracks. In the meantime both Fredi Poole and Lynda Lawrence have departed the group, so who knows when and if these tracks will ever be available.

Likewise, back in the day Diana Ross spoke on a number of occasions of her upcoming biopic of Josephine Baker, even releasing some publicity photos of herself in character. As we know this film unfortunately never eventuated.

I believe in Mary's case she was contracted by the Holland Brothers to record the album and consequently it is likely that it's they and not Mary who have control over it's release.
    Also keep in mind that all of the principles involved in this recording are of a certain age. They, as Mary has also pointed out are use to recording and then distributing the music to "record stores". That's not the case today. There was a lot of discussion about how to release the CD for maximum benefit and exposure. They had a problem with the concept of digitally releasing it I recall.

Mary's Dance hit single "Time to Move On" from 2015 was handled correctly in my opinion.

Although sales may not be in the million seller range, I'm sure that many of us, when we go to see Mary in concert [[I've seen her about 6 times now), will be very tempted to buy her CD if she had them on sale at the shows. I know many performers do sell their CD after the performances [[and often sign them for the purchaser).

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Although sales may not be in the million seller range, I'm sure that many of us, when we go to see Mary in concert [[I've seen her about 6 times now), will be very tempted to buy her CD if she had them on sale at the shows. I know many performers do sell their CD after the performances [[and often sign them for the purchaser).
    Mary use to sell her CD "I Am Changing" at her shows until it went out of print. Later, she sold her live Jazz CD & DVD "Up Close" after her shows. She fully owned those recordings. The Holland/Motor City Works CD she does not fully own.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary use to sell her CD "I Am Changing" at her shows until it went out of print. Later, she sold her live Jazz CD & DVD "Up Close" after her shows. She fully owned those recordings. The Holland/Motor City Works CD she does not fully own.
    Thanks Marv - I have the "I am changing" CD which Mary signed for me. She's such a great performer, and always puts on a wonderful show.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Thanks Marv - I have the "I am changing" CD which Mary signed for me. She's such a great performer, and always puts on a wonderful show.
    You're welcome Gordy_hunk. I could not agree more. Mary is all that!

mistercarter2u
    Mary Wilson's "Life's Been Good" or "Clarity" album- what happened???

A few years back, there was a significant amount of press announcing the release of Mary Wilson's "Clarity" album, which she recorded with the help of Holland Dozier. I particularly remember a story in Goldmine wherein Ms. Wilson discussed the album and a release date was mentioned. Of course, that date came and went with no album.

Wasn't it slated for a concurrent release with Evan Ross' debut CD ?