[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wells: Unreleased Motown Album

I am searching my memory. Wasn't an album planned [[then shelved) for Mary Wells at Motown to follow MY GUY? What the the proposed title? Was cover art [[or mock a mock cover) ever posted? Does anyone know the track listing? Thanks!
    Last edited by longtimefan; 10-21-2017 at 02:18 AM.

Try Mary Wells 'Lost & Found: Something New'.

https://www.amazon.com/Something-New.../dp/B009SX9IW6

In Motown's beginning Mary Wells was the Queen: its first genuine solo star, the headliner of the Motortown Revues, whose hits are among the finest of the early 1960s: "Two Lovers," "You Beat Me To The Punch," "The One Who Really Loves You," "My Guy." And, like every other artist on the growing roster, Wells recorded as often as possible, creating more than enough for her singles and albums releases. With this revealing new 2-CD collection, Something New: Motown Lost & Found, we'll hear all of her amazing "extra" music: 47 rare tracks, 23 of them never before heard.
    Something New: Motown Lost & Found is an extraordinary, chronological overview of Mary working with nearly every producer at the company, from Smokey Robinson to Holland-Dozier-Holland, Berry Gordy to Mickey Stevenson, even the Contours' Sylvester Potts. Among the unreleased sides are four newly discovered duets with Marvin Gaye. Two near-duets with the young "no-hit" Supremes. Sessions for an unfinished standards album, featuring a sublime set of tracks targeted for the adult market in which she is backed on a few tracks by the newly signed Four Tops. An early version of the B-side "You Lost The Sweetest Boy," known as "Your Loss, My Gain." A classy "cha-cha" track, "This Is Something New," whose sublime performance inspired this collection's title.
    You'll also hear the two-dozen songs issued after Mary left the label in 1964, now collected in one place for the first time: the seven vault tracks from the 1966 LP Vintage Stock, including Smokey's "When I'm Gone" and "I'll Be Available"; three rare duets with Marvin Gaye from his first box set; the 11 cuts first issued on the 2-CD set from the 1990s, Looking Back; and three others scattered across various rarities collections. The difference here: all of them are in unreleased stereo mixes for the first time.
    Something New: Motown Lost & Found is housed in a digi-pak that includes a 32-page booklet, a treasure trove of rare photos and an essay by writer Stu Hackel. It's a special collection telling a deeper story of young Mary Wells and the ascent of an iconic company.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I am searching my memory. Wasn't an album planned [[then shelved) for Mary Wells at Motown to follow MY GUY? What the the proposed title? Was cover art [[or mock a mock cover) ever posted? Does anyone know the track listing? Thanks!
    The only album planned on Mary that wasn't released was "Second Time Around" [[Motown MT 612) but that one preceded the "My Guy" album and I asked UK Motown in the '70s if they had a tracklisting for it and they didn't and they said the album was dropped in favour of her "Greatest Hits" LP.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    The only album planned on Mary that wasn't released was "Second Time Around" [[Motown MT 612) but that one preceded the "My Guy" album and I asked UK Motown in the '70s if they had a tracklisting for it and they didn't and they said the album was dropped in favour of her "Greatest Hits" LP.

Ivor
    I think SECOND TIME AROUND was meant to be an album of standards, and there may be a tracklisting. I vaguely recall seeing one somewhere, or maybe someone devised one based on the standards that have since been released.

One of our very own members devised this compilation which is obviously not official - but still rather nice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/a_tom/7500208282
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-21-2017 at 01:38 PM.

The format of this track listing of the Mary Wells Lost & Found set might be helpful [[from the Northern Soul Direct website)....

DISC 1
    1. [[You Can) Depend On Me
    2. Why Do You Want To Let Me Go
    3. Money [[That's What I Want)
    4. Is It Me Or Is It You
    5. I've Got A Story
    6. Guarantee [[For A Lifetime)
    7. To Lose You
    8. Cinderella [[It's Twelve O'Clock)
    9. When Your Lover Comes Back
    10. I Want You 'Round [[Mary Wells & Smokey Robinson)
    11. My Heart Is Like A Clock [[Featuring The Supremes)
    12. Goodbye And Good Luck
    13. Forgive And Forget
    14. I'll Be Available
    15. Can You Fix It [[My Broken Heart)
    16. Have A Little Patience [[And Wait) [[Featuring The Supremes)
    17. Free From Your Spell [[Featuring The Supremes)
    18. My World Of Dreams
    19. Your Loss, My Gain [[You Lost The Sweetest Boy) [[Featuring The Supremes And The Temptations)
    20. Strange Love - Greystone Version
    21. Prove It
    22. One Block From Heaven
    23. That's Why I Love You [[Like I Do)
    24. Drop In The Bucket
    25. Everybody Needs Love
    26. Honey Boy
    27. When I'm Gone

DISC 2
    DUETS WITH MARVIN GAYE
    1. Back In My Arms
    2. All I Got
    3. You Can Dance
    4. I'm Yours, You're Mine
    5. Oh Lover
    6. Let's Talk It Over
    7. In Case You Need Love
    SECOND TIME AROUND: THE STANDARDS
    8. The Second Time Around
    9. This Is Something New
    10. I've Grown Accustomed To His Face [[Featuring The Four Tops)
    11. Again [[Featuring The Four Tops)
    12. Can't Get Out Of This Mood [[Featuring The Four Tops)
    13. The Party's Over
    14. I Wanna Be Around
    15. I Remember You [[Featuring The Four Tops)
    16. Teach Me Tonight
    17. Secret Love
    18. All I Do Is Dream Of You

I love the "2nd Time Around" tracks from the Lost & Found set:

9. This Is Something New
    13. The Party's Over
    14. I Wanna Be Around
    16. Teach Me Tonight
    17. Secret Love

I don't remember what the notes say. Did Hip-O just put this group of songs together based on their own choices or did they actually have a proposed track listing to go from? I think they probably just created the track list themselves, from what the earlier poster said and I think they've done that on a few sets, like what they called the "Promises Kept" sessions on the 70s Supremes first box set.

Thanks to you all! That’s what I was trying to remember. The mock cover from above and the listing from the LOST AND FOUND. Whew! That’s what SDF is best about. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I love the "2nd Time Around" tracks from the Lost & Found set:

9. This Is Something New
    13. The Party's Over
    14. I Wanna Be Around
    16. Teach Me Tonight
    17. Secret Love

I don't remember what the notes say. Did Hip-O just put this group of songs together based on their own choices or did they actually have a proposed track listing to go from? I think they probably just created the track list themselves, from what the earlier poster said and I think they've done that on a few sets, like what they called the "Promises Kept" sessions on the 70s Supremes first box set.
    It is noted that 5 tracks were included to The Second Time Around track list for thematic continuity which were all recorded a year later.
    Teach Me Tonight
    Secret Love
    All I Do Is Dream Of You
    Always
    A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening.

There was also another LP MT-637/MS-637 entitled "My World Of Dreams" that was also planned but never released. This would have been 1965. Does anyone know what tracks were planned for this besides the title track?

Motown 637 seems to be un-issued twice - Mary Wells "My World Of Dreams" and more commonly The Supremes "A Tribute To The Girls".

Here is another great imagining from our friend on Flickr for the Mary Wells unreleased album -
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/a_tom/7500207790

and Sharon Davis discusses the album here...
    http://www.soulmusic.info/index.asp?S=2&T=61&ART=2662
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-21-2017 at 06:24 PM.