[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I thought she opened the show with "She Works Hard For The Money" ...
    It was "My Love Life Is A Disaster" which was her current demo for Stringfellows at the time. She did also perform "She works Hard For the Money";

Thanks Marv, my memory is slipping a bit. I've seen Mary many times since. The first time was Oct. 1, 1983 at the Sands in Atlantic City with Karen Jackson & Robin Alexander [[?) One of them was pregnant at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Thanks Marv, my memory is slipping a bit. I've seen Mary many times since. The first time was Oct. 1, 1983 at the Sands in Atlantic City with Karen Jackson & Robin Alexander [[?) One of them was pregnant at the time.
    That Atlantic City show was covered in People Magazine with this great pic of Mary on the Boardwalk. That was Karen Jackson that was pregnant then.

Did you know that during Mary's stint at Michael's Pub, she also hosted "Showtime At the Apollo" that aired several weeks later in November.

I know many people like the Green River demo...I hate it...with a passion [[I'm a fan of the original..I like CCR)...I don't like Mary doing the rock covers...That is Tina Turner's forte. I admit the Stones were my favorite band for years and so I think very few do their songs justice. [[I bet Mary would be good with As Tears Go By) but Tina's performance style handles the covers very well...even a year before Proud Mary there were credible versions of Come Together and I Want To Take You Higher. It fit her energetic style.
    There are up tempo songs [[Love Child, You Keep Me Hangin' On, We Can Work It Out, Stoned Love) that I like Mary singing...Green River, Brown Sugar and Bad Case of Loving You are not among them...I think she excels at the mid tempo stuff like Walk The Line that gives her enough room to stretch and You're What's Missing In My Life...But to me the ballards are the best..I personally consider You Danced My Hear Around The Stars the to date quessential MW recorded performance.

just thought of something, and I may be wrong here...but I think in the late 90's I saw Mary perform the Bad Co. tune Can t Get Enough and I liked that one...

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    just thought of something, and I may be wrong here...but I think in the late 90's I saw Mary perform the Bad Co. tune Can t Get Enough and I liked that one...
    You mean this one:

Mary has changed her set list several times over the years. Around the late 80s she also added "Piano In the Dark" by Brenda Russell and "A Bad Case of Loving You" by Robert Palmer:

Was Karen in the show or just attending? When I saw Mary at Michael’s I dragged my rock and roll friend to it. He was completely stunned at how good she was! Mary didn’t sing fields of gold in Ct, thank God. Enough., but she still sang Bad case of Loving you as I recall .
    Last edited by luke; 11-03-2017 at 06:48 PM.

that is indeed the song....I must have only saw one performance where that was included...thank you! can anyone tell me why
    my keyboard sticks and skips on this site?

Here's one of me from the Michael's Pub show:

Attachment 13716

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Was Karen in the show or just attending? When I saw Mary at Michael’s I dragged my rock and roll friend to it. He was completely stunned at how good she was! Mary didn’t sing fields of gold in Ct, thank God. Enough., but she still sang Bad case of Loving you as I recall .
    Kaaren Ragland had just rejoined Mary's show by the time of the Michael's Pub dates. When Mary prior to that in Detroit, she had Robin Alexander and Karen Jackson backing her up. I enjoyed those shows back in the day almost as much as I enjoy her current shows.

that is indeed the song....I must have only saw one performance where that was included...thank you! can anyone tell me why
    my keyboard sticks and skips on this site?
    I wished I could help you about the keyboard problem. You made remember that back around '89, when James Brown had been arrested and incarcerated, Mary use to chant "Free James Brown, Free James Brown" towards the middle to the end of the song "Can't Get Enough of Your Love". It went over very well with her audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You mean this one:

Marv who are the background singers please? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Lololololololol

In that clip they are Carl Jenkins, Parnell Damone and Iris Parker.

Great pic of all of you Marv!

That was the same gown on night one of Fat Tuesdays...I think it is the Motown 25 gown... the second night there Mary had on a sexy blood red short but balloon bottomed dress.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great pic of all of you Marv!
    Thanks Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    In that clip they are Carl Jenkins, Parnell Damone and Iris Parker.
    Yeah I had a feeling it was CJ . Looks like they are having a great time. Iris is great.

that was a good grouping of B/U singers...the taller guy fit in very well with the 2 veterans...is this the Sands video? I don't own it so I have never watched the entire show....I have watched parts on youtube.

both Michaels Pub and Fat Tuesday usually didn't feature pop acts.
    They were both pretty well known for smaller capacity drawing but notable jazz acts, and at the time the Bluenote [[although small too I heard) was still the best known venue for the bigger names. Woody Allen was a steady a Michaels for his jazz gigs....The Village
    Gate was another Jazz club that booked likable size draw pop acts.
    I saw Detroit native Suzi Quatro there in '79...I knew her music from her hardcore glam/glitter period. she was a major act with
    worldwide hits for years and couldn't break the US market earlier in her '73-'75 heyday because the rant and roll of glam/glitter just didn't catch on here.....Suzi used to get me very excited! I was NUTZ about her and her 2nd LP "Quatro" from '74 is another of my desert island discs.

Yeah I had a feeling it was CJ . Looks like they are having a great time. Iris is great.
    He told me they ball recording that concert. I love that DVD.

both Michaels Pub and Fat Tuesday usually didn't feature pop acts.
    They were both pretty well known for smaller capacity drawing but notable jazz acts, and at the time the Bluenote [[although small too I heard) was still the best known venue for the bigger names. Woody Allen was a steady a Michaels for his jazz gigs....The Village
    Gate was another Jazz club that booked likable size draw pop acts.
    I saw Detroit native Suzi Quatro there in '79...I knew her music from her hardcore glam/glitter period. she was a major act with
    worldwide hits for years and couldn't break the US market earlier in her '73-'75 heyday because the rant and roll of glam/glitter just didn't catch on here.....Suzi used to get me very excited! I was NUTZ about her and her 2nd LP "Quatro" from '74 is another of my desert island discs.
    That's right Gman. The Blue Note and Cafe Wa are also pretty small, but I've seen some huge Jazz stars perform there. These clubs [[for the most part) opened in the 1950s as hangouts, coffee houses for Beatniks and the like. Jazz was always on the menu. Luckily, we still have a few of them left even with the expansion of NYU.

Whatever happened to Suzi Quatro? She was very popular when I was in college.

she's been living in England since '72 and still actively tours and occasionally releases new music...does a lot of package shows as the top card. I haven't liked what I've seen of her live performances in a long long time...horns cant take the place of 2 great guitars. Brother Mchael Quatro was on Motowns Prodigal label...a very talented keyboard man...kind of progressive psych rock with strong classical overtones and I had one LP that I used to love to bring to
    certain "parties"...the track Ancient Ones very gradually but noticeably slowed down and it sounded like the turntable was dying.
    I used to love watching everyone's face and seeing the host run over to the stereo.

she's been living in England since '72 and still actively tours and occasionally releases new music...does a lot of package shows as the top card. I haven't liked what I've seen of her live performances in a long long time...horns cant take the place of 2 great guitars. Brother Mchael Quatro was on Motowns Prodigal label...a very talented keyboard man...kind of progressive psych rock with strong classical overtones and I had one LP that I used to love to bring to
    certain "parties"...the track Ancient Ones very gradually but noticeably slowed down and it sounded like the turntable was dying.
    I used to love watching everyone's face and seeing the host run over to the stereo.
    Uh huh, tell us about these "parties"? Only kidding LOL! I remember Michael Quarto too. I did not know that Suzi lived in the U.K. or that she was still performing. It makes me now want to find out what another Detroit that was a favorite of mine, the Romantics have been up to. Thanks Gman!

there are many who actually think Leather on Happy Days was the very start of her career...it was 5 years into a successful rock music run. That's how unknown she was here. I remember when What's Love Got to Do With It? came out...my 11 yr. old niece said "I really like that new singer Tina Turner"...and I at 25, felt like an antique.

there are many who actually think Leather on Happy Days was the very start of her career...it was 5 years into a successful rock music run. That's how unknown she was here. I remember when What's Love Got to Do With It? came out...my 11 yr. old niece said "I really like that new singer Tina Turner"...and I at 25, felt like an antique.
    That's how it was. To much of the American public, Suzi was "Leather Tescadaro" LOL

Gman, don't feel bad. My niece was only a toddler when that song came out. She is now a 34 year old mother of two! LOL!!!

Don't know the current status of it...but there was a clip on youtube of Suzi Quatro and her 3 sisters Nancy Patti & Arlene from about 15 years ago [[they had an all girl band in Detroit in the 60's/70's) performing a Motown medley...I think it was You Really Got A Hold On Me/ My Guy/ Take Me in Your Arms...Arlene [[the keyboard player) is the mother of actress Sherilyn Fenn. and Patti [[the guitarist) was a replacement member of the 70's all girl band Fanny.

Don't know the current status of it...but there was a clip on youtube of Suzi Quatro and her 3 sisters Nancy Patti & Arlene from about 15 years ago [[they had an all girl band in Detroit in the 60's/70's) performing a Motown medley...I think it was You Really Got A Hold On Me/ My Guy/ Take Me in Your Arms...Arlene [[the keyboard player) is the mother of actress Sherilyn Fenn. and Patti [[the guitarist) was a replacement member of the 70's all girl band Fanny.
    That's interesting. I'll see if I can find that clip.

I have a great clip of Mary singing "Bad Weather" in NY. If I can find it I'll upload it.