[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mary thrills fans with 70s hits!

Mary was totally on fire at at the Ridgefield Theater tonight playing to a packed house, near sellout crowd including Andy S. Andy and I talked after about how thrilling it was to to hear Mary do full versions of Stoned Love, Floy Joy [[with Lucy), and River Deep Mountain High. It’s getting late so I will post a full review ASAP. I’ve seen Mary a few times in recent years but tonight was the best! Total synergism with the audience and her and her very tight band. The lobby was a mob scene after and she stayed until she signed everything presented and every picture taken and at the end she went into the parking lot and into two fans’ car to sign their dashboard! What a lady!

WAiting can’t sleep now lol!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary was totally on fire at at the Ridgefield Theater tonight playing to a packed house, near sellout crowd including Andy S. Andy and I talked after about how thrilling it was to to hear Mary do full versions of Stoned Love, Floy Joy [[with Lucy), and River Deep Mountain High. It’s getting late so I will post a full review ASAP. I’ve seen Mary a few times in recent years but tonight was the best! Total synergism with the audience and her and her very tight band. The lobby was a mob scene after and she stayed until she signed everything presented and every picture taken and at the end she went into the parking lot and into two fans’ car to sign their dashboard! What a lady!
    I knew it! I knew she was going to tear it up at Ridgefield. CT is one of her favorite places to play. I am just still amazed at how she always puts on such great shows.

Yes. Quite amazing! She came out to a standing ovation with a storming performance of Love Child with her very hot band. Another standing ovation after that followed by My World is Empty and You Keep Me Hangin On. The Here’s To Life and Refelctions. 70 songs Listed in first post had people dancing in the aisles. Her band simply fantastic on Stoned Love and River Deep. Sounded like a full orchestra. Parnell has some great moves. His show on OWN mentioned. Another standing ovation for I Am Changing. Someday We’ll be together then Mary’s usual encore and she tore it up with Last Dance. She spoke lovingly of Flo and how we were all having so much fun like kids with joy and to try to carry that joy and make a peaceful world! A joyful, exhilarating show. Parnell came out after and hung out with mob in lobby though Lucy seemed to breeze through. Mary told me she’s hoping to come to Studio 54 in NYC.

Yes. Quite amazing! She came out to a standing ovation with a storming performance of Love Child with her very hot band. Another standing ovation after that followed by My World is Empty and You Keep Me Hangin On. The Here’s To Life and Refelctions. 70 songs Listed in first post had people dancing in the aisles. Her band simply fantastic on Stoned Love and River Deep. Sounded like a full orchestra. Parnell has some great moves. His show on OWN mentioned. Another standing ovation for I Am Changing. Someday We’ll be together then Mary’s usual encore and she tore it up with Last Dance. She spoke lovingly of Flo and how we were all having so much fun like kids with joy and to try to carry that joy and make a peaceful world! A joyful, exhilarating show. Parnell came out after and hung out with mob in lobby though Lucy seemed to breeze through. Mary told me she’s hoping to come to Studio 54 in NYC.
    Did she sing the long version of Stoned Love with the intro?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did she sing the long version of Stoned Love with the intro?
    Marv, that alone is worth any expense.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Marv, that alone is worth any expense.
    I heard her sing it in Detroit way back in the 80s. When she sang the intro. I and everyone else were like "What?" She sounded so good. LOL!!!

She sure did and she was great singing it.! I was pleasantly surprised how many people knew the words to it and sang along and to Floy Joy as well!

She sure did and she was great singing it.! I was pleasantly surprised how many people knew the words to it and sang along and to Floy Joy as well!
    When Mary sings that intro it sounds like the Gospel! I remember singing "Stoned Love" several years back at Coney Island and everyone around me knew all of the words. I should say remembered all of the words because it was a huge hit back at time and on the radio often. "Floy Joy" was the same. Everyone knew the chorus to that one. I happy you went and had a good time Luke. Thank you for sharing your experience here.

My pleasure Marv. She also did a rousing version of Walk the Line!

My pleasure Marv. She also did a rousing version of Walk the Line!
    I love it when she sings that song. My favorite performance of it was her Constitution Hall concert in D.C. from 1993. She took off the bottom of her dress and sang it in a, mmmmm more revealing one. LOL!

Hmmmm. Lol. Love it. I’m try to post a pic of her from Ridgefield in which she has a huge slit in her gown And shows off her beautiful leg!

Hmmmm. Lol. Love it. I’m try to post a pic of her from Ridgefield in which she has a huge slit in her gown And shows off her beautiful leg!
    Try harder! hehehehehehehehehehehe.......!

I love it when she sings that song. My favorite performance of it was her Constitution Hall concert in D.C. from 1993. She took off the bottom of her dress and sang it in a, mmmmm more revealing one. LOL!
    One of Mary’s best concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    One of Mary’s best concerts.
    I have to agree. That particular concert was amazing! I remember when I got the tape of it, I watched it at least 10 times! LOL! She did readings from history books and sang "Strange Fruit", "God Bless America","Someday", etc.

Luke, if you have video please post it. I have long wanted to to hear Mary sing full versions of 70s Supremes songs. You are so lucky to have seen this. Mary is a treasure, for sure.

I need a tutorial!! Will ask my friends!

Thank you, Luke.

Vanessa Williams and Mavis Staples coming to this theater in coming months

I couldn't find anything clips of the Ridgefield Playhouse show yet ,but here's a clip from the next night in Plymouth, NH:

And I think she went to Illinois the next day! I get tired just reading about it!

And I think she went to Illinois the next day! I get tired just reading about it!
    I've traveled a LOT, yet I really don't understand how she does it. She's off to the Ukraine song with Prince Albert of Monaco........LOL!!!! whew!

OMG. And she did interviews all day the day she performed and then stayed til after 10pm to greet all who stayed to see her after. Someone told her she had to take a nap earlier in the day. I hope she’s taking care of herself.

OMG. And she did interviews all day the day she performed and then stayed til after 10pm to greet all who stayed to see her after. Someone told her she had to take a nap earlier in the day. I hope she’s taking care of herself.
    In 1990, I witnessed Mary sitting and signing books for four hours at a store in Rochester Hills, Michigan! LOL! I was dead tired and said to her, "Mary you have to be tired by now". She just looked at me and smiled! LOL!!!!

I don't know if you remember, but in 2011 she did 110 concerts!

In 1990, I witnessed Mary sitting and signing books for four hours at a store in Rochester Hills, Michigan! LOL! I was dead tired and said to her, "Mary you have to be tired by now". She just looked at me and smiled! LOL!!!!
    . I was there Marv! She was quite the trooper and the guys we talking abt her good looks!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    . I was there Marv! She was quite the trooper and the guys we talking abt her good looks!
    You too? Awesome! Oh yeah she was looking really fine that day. I have pictures I took of her that day.

More from the show in New Hampshire:

I have seen Mary Wilson live [[the only member of the Supremes I have seen in concert) 7 times over the years. In Feb. '98 in Atlantic City she included a full version of Bad Weather...I really liked some of the songs she dropped... I was never nuts about Red Hot, but after I saw her perform it live I started to love it and when I finally got the 12" version I immediately noticed the live arrangement was structured like that...not the LP version. How Lucky and A Song For You, Reflections, a Stevie Wonder like rendition of We Can Work It Out, Piano In The Dark, Fields of Gold and Someday We'll Be Together remain my live favorites....I don't like the Stones songs or
    Dr. Dr or even the medley w Back In My Ams Again and You Cant Hurry Love...YCHL was one of my fav. Supremes songs til the cover versions got overkill....The 70's Supremes aren't given enough
    attention....I didn't even become a fan til TCB an Flo was gone. I loved Jean and Scherrie and the 70's group gave my all time fav.
    Supreme Mary a bigger role....Touch and High Energy are my 2
    "desert island" Supremes LPs...and I am extremely fond of Country
    Western and Pop....it is much more RNB than C&W...and I can stomach Tumbleweeds because I have a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I have seen Mary Wilson live [[the only member of the Supremes I have seen in concert) 7 times over the years. In Feb. '98 in Atlantic City she included a full version of Bad Weather...I really liked some of the songs she dropped... I was never nuts about Red Hot, but after I saw her perform it live I started to love it and when I finally got the 12" version I immediately noticed the live arrangement was structured like that...not the LP version. How Lucky and A Song For You, Reflections, a Stevie Wonder like rendition of We Can Work It Out, Piano In The Dark, Fields of Gold and Someday We'll Be Together remain my live favorites....I don't like the Stones songs or
    Dr. Dr or even the medley w Back In My Ams Again and You Cant Hurry Love...YCHL was one of my fav. Supremes songs til the cover versions got overkill....The 70's Supremes aren't given enough
    attention....I didn't even become a fan til TCB an Flo was gone. I loved Jean and Scherrie and the 70's group gave my all time fav.
    Supreme Mary a bigger role....Touch and High Energy are my 2
    "desert island" Supremes LPs...and I am extremely fond of Country
    Western and Pop....it is much more RNB than C&W...and I can stomach Tumbleweeds because I have a sense of humor.
    I remember when "Red Hot" was Mary's audience participation number back in the 80s when she would bring a guy up on stage from the audience.

this is pretty funny...I actually was THAT GUY once! at a small basement jazz club on 2nd ave. in NYC called Fat Tuesdays [[1986?)...I was sitting at the very tiny first table in front of her mic....the performance space was so tight the musicians were lined up railroad style in single form...the piano player [[Travis?) luckily had a full sized house piano at the left end off the "walkway" it was only about 4' wide and long, not raised at all so I wont call it a stage....I was 27, and me and my on and very off girlfriend and booze companion of 12 years had what was essentially our relationship ending argument about 2 weeks before this...since this was a standing plan and since she was a musician/fan...we agreed to go together..We were civil towards each other....so the time comes, Mary looks down [[she was singing right over us) and addresses her for permission: "Can I take him up here with me for awhile?" and the girl told her [[into the mic) "I don't care if you take him for the rest of your life!" Mary convulsed laughing, and so did everyone else....seated next to us was a very friendly couple named Gregory and Arthur who captured my moment of having my shirt opened and getting rubbed by Mary in a picture...Ex GF unbeknownst to me gave them my name and address and they sent me a copy....I got in touch and took them out for drinks a few weeks later...we stayed in touch for awhile and I lost contact...if either of you guys are here reading this, let's get in touch...
    Last edited by gman; 11-02-2017 at 04:17 PM.

this is pretty funny...I actually was THAT GUY once! at a small basement jazz club on 2nd ave. in NYC called Fat Tuesdays [[1986?)...I was sitting at the very tiny first table in front of her mic....the performance space was so tight the musicians were lined up railroad style in single form...the piano player [[Travis?) luckily had a full sized house piano at the left end off the "walkway" it was only about 4' wide and long, not raised at all so I wont call it a stage....I was 27, and me and my on and very off girlfriend and booze companion of 12 years had what was essentially our relationship ending argument about 2 weeks before this...since this was a standing plan and since she was a musician/fan...we agreed to go together..We were civil towards each other....so the time comes, Mary looks down [[she was singing right over us) and addresses her for permission: "Can I take him up here with me for awhile?" and the girl told her [[into the mic) "I don't care if you take him for the rest of your life!" Mary convulsed laughing, and so did everyone else....seated next to us was a very friendly couple named Gregory and Arthur who captured my moment of having my shirt opened and getting rubbed by Mary in a picture...Ex GF unbeknownst to me gave them my name and address and they sent me a copy....I got in touch and took them out for drinks a few weeks later...we stayed in touch for awhile and I lost contact...if either of you guys are here reading this, let's get in touch...
    What a great story!

Thank you! I would love to catch up with the 2 guys...I hope they are well...we both knew it was going to be a touchy evening for us because all the on and off and who loves who at the moment and who wants to be with someone else, Someday We'll Be Together was one of our special songs and we were both prepared for the nervous breakdown

Gman! You want to know how small the World is? I saw pictures from that particular show back in the 80s! I remember Fat Tuesday's very well. A year later Mary did a 3 week engagement at Michael's Pub in Manhattan. I went the last night which also happened to be Halloween. We had a table front and center. In those days people were allowed to smoke inside, at their table. I remember the smoke from our table was coming up on stage and bothering Mary. She looked right down at me and wiggled her nose without saying a word, everyone put their cigarettes out! LOL! She brought some guy up from the back of the club for the "Red Hot" where she and her singers worked him over good! LOL!

I was at Michaels too...on 10/24/87 and 10/30/87. I hd the frnt ble as well the night before you! it was like set up on a angle so there was only one front table..Fat Tuesday was 3/25/87...I was there on the 26th too...for both shows..minus the GF...I verified the dates checking my ticket stub/ concert list envelope
    Last edited by gman; 11-03-2017 at 01:44 AM.

I was at Michaels too...on 10/24/87 and 10/30/87. I hd the frnt ble as well the night before you! it was like set up on a angle so there was only one front table..Fat Tuesday was 3/25/87...I was there on the 6th too...for both shows..minus the GF...I verified the dates checking ticket stub list/envelope
    Several things I remember about Michael's Pub. This big goon type guy showed us to our table. I went to the restroom and walked passed these huge stacks of cash at the end of the bar. I remember Mary's dressing room was on the second floor. Her band members asking if they could go out to the clubs with me and my girlfriend and I remember Mary ripping off the lower half of her white fringe dress and performing a song in like fringed body suit! LOL! The pic of her in it made the rounds all over the place afterwards

Gman! You want to know how small the World is? I saw pictures from that particular show back in the 80s! I remember Fat Tuesday's very well. A year later Mary did a 3 week engagement at Michael's Pub in Manhattan. I went the last night which also happened to be Halloween. We had a table front and center. In those days people were allowed to smoke inside, at their table. I remember the smoke from our table was coming up on stage and bothering Mary. She looked right down at me and wiggled her nose without saying a word, everyone put their cigarettes out! LOL! She brought some guy up from the back of the club for the "Red Hot" where she and her singers worked him over good! LOL!
    Marv & Gman:

I saw Mary at Michael's Pub in Oct [[or maybe it was Nov) '87 also! I went with my parents and sister. Mary pulled my father up on stage with her. It wasn't Halloween night though because I was at a frat party.
    Name:  IMG_1102.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  51.1 KB
    Last edited by johnny_raven; 11-02-2017 at 10:43 PM.

is your dads name Irv or Herb? I may have been there that night the 26th...

WOW! Good memory! My father's name was Herb, but Mary thought he said "Irv"

Also, at some point during the show, my mother yawned [[she had a long day). Anyway, Mary looked at my mother and said "Are you bored" ... I, in turn, crawled under the table ...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Marv & Gman:

I saw Mary at Michael's Pub in Oct [[or maybe it was Nov) '87 also! I went with my parents and sister. Mary pulled my father up on stage with her. It wasn't Halloween night though because I was at a frat party.
    Name:  IMG_1102.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  51.1 KB
    She was there for almost the full month of October. That picture is great and brings back memories for me. Her singers that night were Kaaren Ragland and Silvia Cox as I remember. It was a party!

She was there for almost the full month of October. That picture is great and brings back memories for me. Her singers that night were Kaaren Ragland and Silvia Cox as I remember. It was a party!
    YES ... And as I recall Sylvia Cox was in law school at the time, which my father was thrilled to hear as he was a tax attorney!

Thanks for sharing-made my day!

I remember her in that white outfit too. Looked stunning

I remember her in that white outfit too. Looked stunning
    Wasn't she though? My mouth dropped open when she ripped that dress off hehehehehehehe.........

Actually, the first time I saw Mary was 6/21/86 outdoors at Sailors Snug Harbor on Staten Island [[my home)...when she changed, she wore the green and blue flappy panel mini dress that is in the lower right hand photo with Cindy on Funny Girl...and she split it open completely down the back during the first number. I remember Robin an Karen at that show...and Karen was at both Michaels ad Fat Tuesday...I was surprised that only Stoned Love represented the 70's Supremes...and My Love Life Is A Disaster was the opener both at SSH and Michaels both nights I was there... think the opener was Reflections at Fat Tuesdays...The second night I got there very early and saw Mary ad the girls come in..it was pouring
    out and Mary had on a big plastic kerchief over her reddish curly afro style wig and a aqua rain coat.

Actually, the first time I saw Mary was 6/21/86 outdoors at Sailors Snug Harbor on Staten Island [[my home)...when she changed, she wore the green and blue flappy panel mini dress that is in the lower right hand photo with Cindy on Funny Girl...and she split it open completely down the back during the first number. I remember Robin an Karen at that show...and Karen was at both Michaels ad Fat Tuesday...I was surprised that only Stoned Love represented the 70's Supremes...and My Love Life Is A Disaster was the opener both at SSH and Michaels both nights I was there... think the opener was Reflections at Fat Tuesdays...The second night I got there very early and saw Mary ad the girls come in..it was pouring
    out and Mary had on a big plastic kerchief over her reddish curly afro style wig and a aqua rain coat.
    You do have a good memory. She opened with "My Love Life Is A Disaster" at Michael's Pub. She started singing at the back the room as she made her way up to the stage.

You do have a good memory. She opened with "My Love Life Is A Disaster" at Michael's Pub. She started singing at the back the room as she made her way up to the stage.
    I thought she opened the show with "She Works Hard For The Money" ...

how I remember is I heard Herb my friend heard Irv and she teased me and kept saying "Too bad you weren't Irv" a few times afterward. I recall the tear away white and gold fringe outfit being the one for the 2nd half and she tore the lower part off for the last song which was She Works Hard...I even noticed there were some fringe stands on the floor of the stage when the lights came back on. I remember thinking that the outfit looked heavy an hot...it was a pretty full skirt

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I thought she opened the show with "She Works Hard For The Money" ...
    It was "My Love Life Is A Disaster" which was her current demo for Stringfellows at the time. She did also perform "She works Hard For the Money";