[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson on The Jimmy Star Show

This interview is from yesterday, Oct. 18. Mary is having trouble with Skype. LOL!!!

Well, the sound quality on Sound Cloud was much better. The interviewer, who is in his late seventies, got some of his time line mixed up. He said he talked many years ago to Mary at the Copa and she was appearing with Diana and Cindy and they were unpolished and teens.

But by the time of their Copa appearance, they were quite a polished professional trio. He also mentioned something about them singing Aint No Mountain High Enough.

He seems to be a big fan, but it was not Cindy at the Copa with Diana and Mary. I think that there was talk of Cindy appearing with them at their second appearance at the Copa, but Jules Podell would have none of that, so the interviewer - who did not know what year he saw them at the Copa, did not see Cindy there.

When they finally got Skype to work during their audio interview, the interviewer finally got to see the self admitted 73 1/2 year old Mary and said that she looked fifty. Nice compliment. Then he asks her what she injects in her face. Wow. Kind of nervy. Loved her reply. She said that its called "Black Don't Crack".

For being such fans of the Supremes, Mary Wilson and Motown, they got quite a few facts wrong. After Mary signed off, they wanted to play one last Supremes song and the interviewer suggested Aint No Mountain. The other interviewer said that it was not a Supremes song. Then the other guy says that it was and that they used it for their opening for years. Then the other one suggests "How about Please Mr Postman".. THe other one says, "That's Mary Wilson, I mean, Wells".

They wound up playing Reflections. And the interviewer said that Mary did not say anything bad about Diana Ross. She made him say it [[I did not hear her make him say anything bad about Diana, but then after Mary had gone on to her next interview, he did say that Diana Ross is not as nice as Mary Wells [[For being such a big fan of Mary, it would be nice if he remembered her last name)

Also after Mary left, he said that Diana was a diva. He then goes on to say that Cindy Birdsong was a doll too when he met her at the Copa [[????) Then he says that Diana Ross always seemed to have a chip on her shoulder. He says as nice as she was that there was something about her that was not sincere. He says that is what he really found when he met her and the Supremes that night at the Copa.

Wow , after Mary left, I think they referred to her as Mary Wells at least three times. Young interviewers dont know the history of the group or its members and their lack of research usually shows in their interviews.

But this interviewer is older than Mary, says that he actually saw them appear at the Copa, and then gets so much wrong. Can't name the members of the group correctly, thinks that they performed Aint No Mountain High Enough, thinks that Postman is their song, and keep referring to Mary as Mary Wells.

This interview was set up at the last minute and they thanked Turkessa for her help in setting it up. I guess Turkessa has some kind of involvement in Mary's career. I did not know that.

They did have a nice suggestion for Mary. They suggested that she appear at 54 Below in NYC. 54 Below is an intimate little supper club located beneath Studio 54. [[Studio 54 is now a legitimate Broadway Theater). That would be a perfect venue for Mary to sing her ballads and jazz.

Because they were having trouble with Skype and becasue there were time limitations because of the last minute scheduling, Mary was not able to get all her plugs in. They invited her back. She did get to say that she is working on an album and then joked that she has been working on it for the past ten years [[Thanks Mary..a much better answer than when you used to say in every interview that it was coming out "next month" )
    And she got to mention her coffee table book again

Maybe he saw them at the Copa in ‘68? The Supremes did the Copa every year from 1965 to 1972.

I don’t know what work is being done on her album, but the coffee table book is very much being worked on.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 10-21-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Maybe he saw them at the Copa in ‘68? The Supremes did the Copa every year from 1965 to 1972.

I don’t know what work is being done on her album, but the coffee table book is very much being worked on.
    From listening to the entire show, I could easily tell that he was confusing the initial 1965 appearance with later appearances. The tip off was his mentioning Sammy Davis Jr. who was at the 1965 concert there.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Well, the sound quality on Sound Cloud was much better. The interviewer, who is in his late seventies, got some of his time line mixed up. He said he talked many years ago to Mary at the Copa and she was appearing with Diana and Cindy and they were unpolished and teens.

But by the time of their Copa appearance, they were quite a polished professional trio. He also mentioned something about them singing Aint No Mountain High Enough.

He seems to be a big fan, but it was not Cindy at the Copa with Diana and Mary. I think that there was talk of Cindy appearing with them at their second appearance at the Copa, but Jules Podell would have none of that, so the interviewer - who did not know what year he saw them at the Copa, did not see Cindy there.

When they finally got Skype to work during their audio interview, the interviewer finally got to see the self admitted 73 1/2 year old Mary and said that she looked fifty. Nice compliment. Then he asks her what she injects in her face. Wow. Kind of nervy. Loved her reply. She said that its called "Black Don't Crack".

For being such fans of the Supremes, Mary Wilson and Motown, they got quite a few facts wrong. After Mary signed off, they wanted to play one last Supremes song and the interviewer suggested Aint No Mountain. The other interviewer said that it was not a Supremes song. Then the other guy says that it was and that they used it for their opening for years. Then the other one suggests "How about Please Mr Postman".. THe other one says, "That's Mary Wilson, I mean, Wells".

They wound up playing Reflections. And the interviewer said that Mary did not say anything bad about Diana Ross. She made him say it [[I did not hear her make him say anything bad about Diana, but then after Mary had gone on to her next interview, he did say that Diana Ross is not as nice as Mary Wells [[For being such a big fan of Mary, it would be nice if he remembered her last name)

Also after Mary left, he said that Diana was a diva. He then goes on to say that Cindy Birdsong was a doll too when he met her at the Copa [[????) Then he says that Diana Ross always seemed to have a chip on her shoulder. He says as nice as she was that there was something about her that was not sincere. He says that is what he really found when he met her and the Supremes that night at the Copa.

Wow , after Mary left, I think they referred to her as Mary Wells at least three times. Young interviewers dont know the history of the group or its members and their lack of research usually shows in their interviews.

But this interviewer is older than Mary, says that he actually saw them appear at the Copa, and then gets so much wrong. Can't name the members of the group correctly, thinks that they performed Aint No Mountain High Enough, thinks that Postman is their song, and keep referring to Mary as Mary Wells.

This interview was set up at the last minute and they thanked Turkessa for her help in setting it up. I guess Turkessa has some kind of involvement in Mary's career. I did not know that.

They did have a nice suggestion for Mary. They suggested that she appear at 54 Below in NYC. 54 Below is an intimate little supper club located beneath Studio 54. [[Studio 54 is now a legitimate Broadway Theater). That would be a perfect venue for Mary to sing her ballads and jazz.

Because they were having trouble with Skype and becasue there were time limitations because of the last minute scheduling, Mary was not able to get all her plugs in. They invited her back. She did get to say that she is working on an album and then joked that she has been working on it for the past ten years [[Thanks Mary..a much better answer than when you used to say in every interview that it was coming out "next month" )
    And she got to mention her coffee table book again
    Thank you for the syummary Milven, who are those two clowns? It sounded like a middle school radio show. Why would Mary apear on a show like that. Shes better than that nonsense. I doubt anyone listens to them.

fondly,
    Roberta

The Below 54 is a great idea. I know they have recorded Broadway artists and released their shows on CD. I would think Mary would be a great seller for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    The Below 54 is a great idea. I know they have recorded Broadway artists and released their shows on CD. I would think Mary would be a great seller for them.
    I think so too. It's been many years since I've been in that building.

I never was in it when it was the disco. But I have been to the current Studio 54 a few times, most recently to see the Broadway show, SWEAT.

And a few years ago, I was at 54 Below to see Ben Vereen. It is a great venue for Cabaret style acts and would be perfect for Mary Wilson.