[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes with Bing Crosby - 'Paint Your Wagon' Medley

This would be cheaper than what the promo soundtrack album to the special goes for.

Too bad it does not include the other medley with Jose Feliciano...

Unless Bing makes your chimes ring, that is $20 for just one song. I’d rather see it [[along with the other two medleys) get licensed from the Crosby Estate by Motown-Uni for inclusion on, say, “Love Child: Expanded Edition.”

Yes, the medley with Jose and Bing was awesome. The backup gals sat there like bumps on a log with nothing to do, much like the Vandellas would have had Martha and Vandellas been in the Supremes shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Unless Bing makes your chimes ring, that is $20 for just one song. I’d rather see it [[along with the other two medleys) get licensed from the Crosby Estate by Motown-Uni for inclusion on, say, “Love Child: Expanded Edition.”
    I agree. I would love to see Universal license "Do Not Forsake Me" for Love Child: Expanded Edition. That's one of my favorite TV appearances they did and it's great because it's a group song rather than Diana singing the whole thing alone with Mary & Cindy adding an occasional "ooo" and "ahh" here and there.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 10-16-2017 at 08:08 PM.

It should also be noted the medley includes “I Still See Elisa” which was not included in the TV special.

I received this as one of my Christmas gifts. My spirits were dashed, however, when I read this in the liner notes:

Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard and Bing recorded a medley of songs from Lerner and Loewe’s 1951 Broadway musical PAINT YOUR WAGON.

Really, Universal?!? This is inexcusable. And just plain lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I received this as one of my Christmas gifts. My spirits were dashed, however, when I read this in the liner notes:

Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard and Bing recorded a medley of songs from Lerner and Loewe’s 1951 Broadway musical PAINT YOUR WAGON.

Really, Universal?!? This is inexcusable. And just plain lazy.
    Sans I wouldn't be so quick to discount this. I remember some time ago someone on the forum swore up and down that Florence's voice is on that medley. I myself have always thought "Cindy" was doing her best Flo impression. I don't know how these television specials were produced, but is it possible that Florence pre-recorded the medley with Diana and Mary but by the time the special was actually filmed, Cindy replaced Florence? The special was televised in October 68. I wonder when it was filmed and if it would be out of production possibilities that the medley was recorded prior to August 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sans I wouldn't be so quick to discount this. I remember some time ago someone on the forum swore up and down that Florence's voice is on that medley. I myself have always thought "Cindy" was doing her best Flo impression. I don't know how these television specials were produced, but is it possible that Florence pre-recorded the medley with Diana and Mary but by the time the special was actually filmed, Cindy replaced Florence? The special was televised in October 68. I wonder when it was filmed and if it would be out of production possibilities that the medley was recorded prior to August 1967.
    Interesting and thought-provoking, RanRan. I'll have to take these theories into account when I finally give this a listen.

I thought Cindy's vocals were especially strong on the PTW medley, and on the Soundstage medley as well. I don't think it is Flo.

Before the PYW medley, Diana says that they are singing songs from the motion picture currently on location. According to Wikipedia, PYW filmed May-October 1968, with release in 1969. Looking at the wigs DMC are wearing on the Crosby special, they are the same or similar to the ones worn when they did the FUNNY GIRL medley on Ed Sullivan, which was in September 1968. So I assume the Crosby special was shot during the same period.

I think it is rather unlikely that in 1967, Bing's producers would have based a medley around a film that wasn't even filming yet, not to mention one with a release date two years away. That would have been wasted effort if the film never came out.
    Last edited by reese; 12-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I thought Cindy's vocals were especially strong on the PTW medley, and on the Soundstage medley as well. I don't think it is Flo.

Before the PYW medley, Diana says that they are singing songs from the motion picture currently on location. According to Wikipedia, PYW filmed May-October 1968, with release in 1969. Looking at the wigs DMC are wearing on the Crosby special, they are the same or similar to the ones worn when they did the FUNNY GIRL medley on Ed Sullivan, which was in September 1968. So I assume the Crosby special was shot during the same period.

I think it is rather unlikely that in 1967, Bing's producers would have based a medley around a film that wasn't even filming yet, not to mention one with a release date two years away. That would have been wasted effort if the film never came out.
    This makes sense Reese. Thanks for the information.

A further perusal of the liner notes yields this: "With the group booked as guests on Bing's upcoming NBC television special, a recording session was arranged for October 2, 1968." This should close the Flo case, since she'd been dismissed over a year prior.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    A further perusal of the liner notes yields this: "With the group booked as guests on Bing's upcoming NBC television special, a recording session was arranged for October 2, 1968." This should close the Flo case, since she'd been dismissed over a year prior.
    Consider it closed. You may now reopen your case against Universal for their obviously erroneous information.

Consider it closed. You may now reopen your case against Universal for their obviously erroneous information.
    Counselor, your witness?

For all you downloader completists who’ve held out, this is now available on iTunes. The DRATS track is available as a single download, but the entire collection is delightful if you go for Der Bingel. [[P.S.: My partner is low-key pissed since he sprang for the CD for me at Christmas.) 😁